Safety advice needed

Jamster1
Jamster1 Posts: 9
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've just bought this "mountain Bike" . http://www.rutlandcycling.com/42269/Diamondback-Ascent-29er-Men-s-Hardtail-Mountain-Bike---Limited-Edition-.html?referrer=froogle1%3futm_source%3dgoogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid42269

DIAMONDBACK ASCENT PEAK 29er

with this spec

Model Type : 24 speed front suspension lightweight 29er mountain bike
Frame : Trail design. Aluminium construction with hydro-formed tubing
Fork : Suntour XCR-Lo 29er forks with 100mm of travel
Wheel Size : 29"
Gear System : Shimano 24 speed indexed gears with Shimano STI gear shifters. Shimano freewheel. Truvativ E300 triple 42/34/24T chainset with alloy cranks
Wheel Specification : Alloy Diamondback lightweight double wall alloy 29er rims with quick release disc flange hubs. WTB Wolverine 29" X 2.2 offroad blackwall tyres
Brakes : Front and rear mechanically actuated disc brakes with alloy levers. 160mm disc rotors. Levers have reach adjust facility
Handlebar and Stem : Diamondback 680mm handlebars. Outland oversize ahead alloy stem.
Additional Information : Outland Trail saddle with Outland micro adjust seatpos.

The "mountain bike" came with two stickers , one on the handlebar and one on the suntour forks ,stating "This product is not recommended for aggressive off road riding"

I've bought this "mountain bike" to ride the mountain bike Red trail's at whinlatter forest .Are these stickers their mainly to protect the manufacturers from being sued for injuries caused by their product or is this "mountain bike" only really strong enough for "cross country leisure" as it states on the Suntour XCR forks.

"

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mitomaniac
    mitomaniac Posts: 117
    Hi, don't know about them stickers but I did one of the red trails at whinlatter with a mate the other week and he had a set of xcr lo forks on a gt avalanche behaved as good as my recons.

Think it was south loop all I remember is crapping myself when my rear end blew out lol.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit of a vague get out, but 'aggressive' to my mind would be serious AM or DH.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    cooldad wrote:
    Bit of a vague get out, but 'aggressive' to my mind would be serious AM or DH.
    Yeah that's what I'd have thought, It should be fine for trail centre stuff.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My old GT said "not for downhill use".

So I used it downhill. It didn't break (though I did).

Pretty much just covering themselves. It won't break any more than most bikes, though if you do wrap it round a tree and snap it, they have an opportunity to get out of any responsibility.

Where it's different is if the bike is a true BSO, then they really can't cope with more than a trip to the shops and just about hold together dropping off the pavement kerb.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    deadkenny wrote:

Pretty much just covering themselves. It won't break any more than most bikes, though if you do wrap it round a tree and snap it, they have an opportunity to get out of any responsibility.

Where it's different is if the bike is a true BSO, then they really can't cope with more than a trip to the shops and just about hold together dropping off the pavement kerb.
    Check this out :wink:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Jamster1
    Thanks for all the reply's guys ,you've helped me feel more confident that the bike,which looks and feel solid enough, will be suitable for it's intended use .
  • Jamster1
    ilovedirt wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

Check this out :wink:

Good to see a fellow mountain biker making the best of what he has :D