Bianchi 56cm for a 6'0 bloke ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Looking at a Bianchi in the classified and just want to confirm if it will be appropriate as i've not tried a Roadie before.

I run mediums in my MTB's and feel happy with them.

So looking at the Bianchi in a 56cm. I've got a 31" inside leg if that gives any indication.

Any thoughts please gents ?

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    should be about right but 31" inside leg for 6ft is a bit short? I'm 33.3" inside leg at 6ft which I thought was about average?

It should still fit you though... ideally you should pop into an Evans or something to have a quick sit on a Bianchi to size it up.
  • weeksy59
    viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12865557

Risking the wrath of the forum here... but...

What you rekon, good value ?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    weeksy59 wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12865557

Looks good value.. and bianchis do look very bling in the flesh -> shame it looks like its already been sold?
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12865557

Looks good value.. and bianchis do look very bling in the flesh -> shame it looks like its already been sold?

Not unless i've missed something in my PM's mate.

Deposit just paid, will complete transaction tomorrow :)
  • weeksy59
    GULP. Bought and paid. hahahaha.
  • weeksy59
    Just waiting for the Bianchi to arrive now and see how i get on with road stuff. I don't mind road riding as such, but have never felt at home on road bikes i've tried.. .so this will be a bit of a trial and error scenario going on for a while.

Think i have everything else i need for now... Although will be running flats at first due to lack of super duper roadie shoes.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Good luck on the Bianchi. You may feel a but hunched at that size - I run a Via Nirone on a 59cm and I'm a tad over 6ft with a 33.3 inch inside leg.

Suggest you ride for a while and make some friends in the local bike shop who'll normally advise on fit for nothing.

Enjoy the addiction
    Someone's just passed me again
  • weeksy59
    buzzwold wrote:
    Good luck on the Bianchi. You may feel a but hunched at that size - I run a Via Nirone on a 59cm and I'm a tad over 6ft with a 33.3 inch inside leg.

Suggest you ride for a while and make some friends in the local bike shop who'll normally advise on fit for nothing.

Enjoy the addiction

Don't actually know what my LBS will be in a road context.

I usually travel a little further than L to AWCycles, but in all honesty, i do 99% of the work on bikes myself.

My mate is in the local riding group, but not sure i fancy that
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    You should be ok with that 56. The seatpost has plenty of set back, just fit a longer stem if you want to feel a bit more stretched out.

Not really any point in going to a local shop for advice on fit, just go with what feels comfortable to you.

A pro bike fit could help you, if you've got a bit of pare cash kicking about.

I'd jsut ride it as it is and see how you get on.

Get some SPD's though!
  • weeksy59
    styxd wrote:

Get some SPD's though!

There's a can of worms of course.... i'm not completely against the concept on a road bike, but need to do some research as i believe the road pedals and shoes are very different to MTB SPD's. Also need to factor in costings etc.

Won't be jumping at buying anything till i've been out on it a bit.
  • weeksy59
    Need some advice guys,
    Hi mate,

Right, we may or not have a problem. Just been out getting the bike ready for boxing up etc. - got the tape out to measure the seat tube and post to check if it's fit in the box still attached before I take the wheels off - and it's a 54cm seattube - from centre of BB shell to top where the seatpost leaves the frame...

I'm thinking that this makes the deal a non-starter ? He's happy to refund me etc, so no worries on that, seems like a top bloke too, so not worried their either..

What you think ?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    IOts doesnt matter what the length of the seat tube is, its the top tube thats important.

Have a look at the geometry

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/images/Bia ... 7-geom.jpg

The AS measurement is 540mm, bt the actual "size" that refersto is a 57. The top tube length is 560mm. Therefore it'll be about bang on i reckon.
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    I personally think its too small for you. I have the same inside leg but i'm slightly taller than you, my bike fit recently confirmed that my 59cm version of the same Bianchi is a perfect fit for me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Take it back. You'll never get it to fit. Sad times.

p.s just put MTB pedals on it and use the same shoes - lots of people do.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    styxd wrote:
    IOts doesnt matter what the length of the seat tube is, its the top tube thats important.

Have a look at the geometry

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/images/Bia ... 7-geom.jpg

The AS measurement is 540mm, bt the actual "size" that refersto is a 57. The top tube length is 560mm. Therefore it'll be about bang on i reckon.

^^^^ Listen to his advice.