Getting disappointed with Sky's lack of support for Cav

the_cyclist_of_catan
edited July 2012 in Pro race
OK, it was always going to play out like this, but Sky's total commitment to Wiggins' GC efforts leave Cav high and dry day after day this Tour. I think there's been one day when they've worked for Cav; today is yet another clear example of how he hasn't a hope of getting stage wins all on his own.
They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.

Comments

• Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    If they support Cav and lose the yellow jersey would that be good?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It was always going to happen but expect Cav will get the works for the Champs Elysee finish.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Turnbull2000
    Turnbull2000 Posts: 189
    Surely Cav knew this was coming? He's gone for the pay cheque IMO.
  • Well, the way it's played out has confirmed what I thought when Cav moved to Sky. He had a team built around him, with no GC contenders, at HTC, and won stage after stage. Greipel has the same luxury this year and is doing the same. In his position, I'm not sure Sky could have ever offered me enough money to make the switch, because with Wiggins, Froome and the yellow jumper being the absolute focus, Cav's hope of setting stage win records are surely doomed.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Who should they have dropped from the front group to help him? Wiggins, Froome, Rogers, or EBH?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    He was way too far back in the group at the start of the climb. Griepel wasn't and just managed to stay. (He said in the interview that he was in the last two riders at the summit)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Well, the way it's played out has confirmed what I thought when Cav moved to Sky. He had a team built around him, with no GC contenders, at HTC, and won stage after stage. Greipel has the same luxury this year and is doing the same. In his position, I'm not sure Sky could have ever offered me enough money to make the switch, because with Wiggins, Froome and the yellow jumper being the absolute focus, Cav's hope of setting stage win records are surely doomed.

Where do you suggest he should have gone? Its not as if staying put was an option.

I think this move will work for Cav. If the first week had gone a little differently he could have had another couple of wins. As it is Greipel and Sagan both have 3. I think this will in the longer term move Cav towards becoming a more well rounded rider. Its the first year and its a bit of an odd one due to the Olympics.

From my point of view at HTC they were almost too far in the other direction. They were playing a game at 100% that no-one else was playing. Every team has a sprinter but no other team devoted their whole squad to him.

He still has 3 stage wins at the Giro and one at the Tour.
  • Given his lack of finishing speed when facing *real* sprinters, I can't see any point in EBH trying to contest a stage like that. Two to look after Wiggins at the front, not wasting energy leading the pack but just marking Evans/ Nibali etc, and the rest dragging Cav back into contention would have been my plan. Whilst it was 100% clear that there was not going to be any hope of a green jersey competition for Cav, I think that there have been several missed opportunities in terms of stage wins, of which today was a prime example.

I can only guess that Cav's pay deal is either obscene enough that he doesn't care (though his expressions tell a different story), or Brailsford's promised him a gold medal later this month. But I'm not going to be putting any money on Cav getting one; winning the test event after two laps against a mediocre field is not IMO much of a guide to how he'll perform after nine climbs with pretty much every other nation working against him to bring about a situation like today's.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Turfle wrote:
    Who should they have dropped from the front group to help him? Wiggins, Froome, Rogers, or EBH?

Nobody. That gap was never getting bridged towards the end. As JonGinge alluded to, he at least needed to be in touch with the back of the group.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yellow trumps stage wins hands down.

Hopefully an Olympic gold for Cav will make up for the tour.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Cavendish on the stages Greipel has contended (and therefore ones possible for him):

St 2: Won
    St 4: Caught behind crash
    St 5: Fifth (self confessed error)
    St 6: Caught behind crash
    St 13: Dropped on climb

Now, a full team on the front may have kept out of those crashes, but the team were already trying to keep Wiggins out of them, so that should have been enough.

And let's not forget Sky have lost Sivtsov and have a credible Plan B in the sprints.

At the Olympics (his no.1 target this year) he'll have full support.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Given his lack of finishing speed when facing *real* sprinters, I can't see any point in EBH trying to contest a stage like that. Two to look after Wiggins at the front, not wasting energy leading the pack but just marking Evans/ Nibali etc, and the rest dragging Cav back into contention would have been my plan. Whilst it was 100% clear that there was not going to be any hope of a green jersey competition for Cav, I think that there have been several missed opportunities in terms of stage wins, of which today was a prime example.

I can only guess that Cav's pay deal is either obscene enough that he doesn't care (though his expressions tell a different story), or Brailsford's promised him a gold medal later this month. But I'm not going to be putting any money on Cav getting one; winning the test event after two laps against a mediocre field is not IMO much of a guide to how he'll perform after nine climbs with pretty much every other nation working against him to bring about a situation like today's.

EBH has sprinted once against *real* sprinters this year, and beat every one of them. That includes the two who beat him today.

The problem today was that EBH was clearly missing some spark after his exertions in the mountains.

Porte was blown out in the crosswinds, and Eisel was way behind Cav on the climb. The only way they could have dragged Cav back to the group would have been to leave Rogers and EBH behind with him, and leaving Wiggins and Froome exposed in the crosswinds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cavendish on the stages Greipel has contended (and therefore ones possible for him):

St 2: Won
    St 4: Caught behind crash
    St 5: Fifth (self confessed error)
    St 6: Caught behind crash
    St 13: Dropped on climb

Now, a full team on the front may have kept out of those crashes, but the team were already trying to keep Wiggins out of them, so that should have been enough.

And let's not forget Sky have lost Sivtsov and have a credible Plan B in the sprints.

At the Olympics (his no.1 target this year) he'll have full support.

Olympics: Dropped on climb..... ;).
  • Turfle
    Luckao wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Nobody. That gap was never getting bridged towards the end. As JonGinge alluded to, he at least needed to be in touch with the back of the group.

I reckon they knew that was going to be a bit too steep for Cav to stay up there. Of the sprinters, only Sagan and EBH made it over. Even Goss didn't make it. Can only assume Cav was way behind as he didn't even make the Greipel group.
  • RichN95.
    Given his lack of finishing speed when facing *real* sprinters, I can't see any point in EBH trying to contest a stage like that. Two to look after Wiggins at the front, not wasting energy leading the pack but just marking Evans/ Nibali etc, and the rest dragging Cav back into contention would have been my plan. Whilst it was 100% clear that there was not going to be any hope of a green jersey competition for Cav, I think that there have been several missed opportunities in terms of stage wins, of which today was a prime example.
    Those bits in bold: Sky only had four in the front group - two of which are protected riders on this stage plus Rogers and EBH. So they didn't have any riders to drop back - if desperate maybe one - it wouldn't have made a difference.
  • RichN95.

Olympics: Dropped on climb..... ;).

Almost certainly, but with 60km to go and a team that would have been a shoo in for the 100km TT had they kept that event (they should bring that back).
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Turfle wrote:
    Luckao wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

I reckon they knew that was going to be a bit too steep for Cav to stay up there. Of the sprinters, only Sagan and EBH made it over. Even Goss didn't make it. Can only assume Cav was way behind as he didn't even make the Greipel group.

He went out of the back quite early on. That would have made it even more ridiculous to sacrifice Sky men for him.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I think he'll quit the race on the rest day and get ready for London.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Says a lot about todays stage that no-one is screaming for this to be merged to the spoiler thread.

RichN95 wrote:
    Almost certainly, but with 60km to go and a team that would have been a shoo in for the 100km TT had they kept that event (they should bring that back).

Seb Coe may get that 60km resurfaced if Sky/GB are going to bring Boonen back ;)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    I bet Cav is regretting not moving to Omega Quickstep. They have no real GC contenders so could have built a team with a decent lead out train for Cav. He would have stayed on Specialized instead of the awful Pina's. HTC riders and staff went to Quickstep so he would have already knew the guys and how they work etc. To be honest I think Sky wanted a British world champion on a British team and to win the Olympics in Britain and they offered him so much money he couldn't turn it down.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rick_chasey
    I can't wait for the road race actually.

A proper one day race than on paper looks like it hangs in the balance.

As much as I like the Tour, it's no one day race.
  • RichN95.
    rozzer32 wrote:
    I bet Cav is regretting not moving to Omega Quickstep. They have no real GC contenders so could have built a team with a decent lead out train for Cav. He would have stayed on Specialized instead of the awful Pina's. HTC riders and staff went to Quickstep so he would have already knew the guys and how they work etc. To be honest I think Sky wanted a British world champion on a British team and to win the Olympics in Britain and they offered him so much money he couldn't turn it down.

Quick Step's season finishes on Easter Sunday, though.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Quick Step's season finishes on Easter Sunday, though.

Woah, Tour of Belgium in May!

And the Saturday before the Tour....
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584

Disagree. Cav has tasted success on the Champs 3 times and has previously stated that winning there is worth more than all his other triumphs.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Alan A wrote:

Disagree. Cav has tasted success on the Champs 3 times and has previously stated that winning there is worth more than all his other triumphs.

I wonder where coming 2nd to Greipel would rate? :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Alan A wrote:

I think he also genuinely wants to be a part of a team with the yellow in Paris.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    FWIW (I've only been following the Tour since 2005) I think the sprint finishes this year are far more interesting without the HTC train and stages having Cavendish-win written all over them. I also think that Sagan's more interesting per se.

I miss Hushovd though. Another much more interesting rider than Cavendish. IMO.
  • rick_chasey
    Lichtblick wrote:
    FWIW (I've only been following the Tour since 2005) I think the sprint finishes this year are far more interesting without the HTC train and stages having Cavendish-win written all over them. I also think that Sagan's more interesting per se.

I miss Hushovd though. Another much more interesting rider than Cavendish. IMO.

Only. That's 7 years!

You're right though.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Even if HTC had stayed I think Cav would have had only one more year of a total team effort for him. Look at what Teejay has done in this Tour. No way Stapleton would not have shifted gears and gone for the big prize.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I see he got an award from L'equipe for being the best sprinter Tour history.

Which would be the GC equivalent of "most stylish wearer of polyester trousers" I suppose. :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.