Why is Phil Ligget is so negative about Wiggins?

redballoon
redballoon Posts: 55
edited July 2012 in Pro race
You would think with a British rider in yellow, PL would full of praise for BW, but no. Every bit of commentary is negative, ie there is Roger's dragging BW up the mountain. What a great ride Cadels is. Never, what great season BW he has had, what a historic moment is unfolding. What a great time trial he rode today. How different it was in the Armstrong era?

Comments

• big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    probably doesn't want to sound too partisan.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Was it different? I have every Tour since 1983 on DVD (and some older ones I have yet to burn) and Phil talks like this every year. He gives credit to the domestiques and tries to talk up the competition to create drama. He does exactly what he should be doing.
  • Because his wages are being paid by North American broadcasters, so he does hit utmost to talk up North American riders. Nothing more than knowing who his core audience is.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Because his wages are being paid by North American broadcasters, so he does hit utmost to talk up North American riders. Nothing more than knowing who his core audience is.

Yet the two examples the op gave were Aussies.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Perhaps they are the other big market. :)

I think Rundfahrt's called it about right, though. Phil's trying to make it entertaining to the viewers who only occasionally watch bike racing.