Another hack piece on London cycling?

DrLex
DrLex Posts: 2,142
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
If you London villagers have a mo' - is this piece in the Atlantic the usual over-blown "knock out 1000 words that'll generate some page hits"? My last commute in that there place was almost 20 years ago (& still have the bike used) and thus cannot reconcile it with my (fading) memories.

Sample prose to support hyperbolic opinion:
"nowhere else have I encountered a cycling culture so cutthroat, vicious, reckless, hostile, and violently competitive as London’s. New York City’s cyclists are, by comparison, genteel, pinkie-pointing tea-sippers pottering around Manhattan with parasols, demurring, “No, after you, dear.” "

Or is it perhaps better to consider it supportive of the skirmishes related daily in the SCR thread?

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Ummm... there may be some truth in that article.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I got the impression he may have been passed by KateF, BlondeCyclist or, worse still Green Brompton on said Brompton.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    She just seems pi55ed off that somebody else has jumped on her bandwagon
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Good comment from downfader - do I recognise that user name from here?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sounds about right.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    I swear this was kicking around a few weeks ago, but oh well.

Personally, it reminds me of a good clarkson article (no that's not an oxymoron!), a mixture of idiot humour to appeal to selfish berks with just the lightest of touches on something that no doubt tells you something very deep about culture and the human condition etc etc.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Hadn't noticed he was a she, I always thought Lionel was a blokes name.
  • Once upon a time an author changed her name to Lionel 'cos she was so bohemian and alternative. Moved to London. Cycled because it's oh so anti-establishment. Normal people started cycling too. They were quicker than Lionel. Lionel got pissy about it. Wrote an article with lots of long words. Everyone continued cycling regardless. The End.

I await my book deal.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    So she's hacked off because other people cycle ? And some of them are faster than her ? If she hates the London cycling community so much perhaps she should move to New York
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    "They cruise alongside three-ton lorries, right in the truckers’ blind spots, and when the lorries turn left, grinding them into biomass, everyone is supposed to feel sorry for them."

So brave.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    Just so you know, Lionel Shriver is the author of 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'.

She's right about a lot of it, although I think she mistakes competitiveness for hatred, and in the years I've been cycling in London, I would never describe it as "contemplative", although it's certainly less solitary than it was.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    I agree rjsterry, it is overzealous competitivness, rather than hatred.

I think much of the difficulty and trouble that she is talking about is simply down to the sheer number of new cyclists on the road, and their inexperience leading to dodgy manouvres and a lack of understanding about when it is appropriate to go fast- its more inexperience than animosity, although it often doesn't feel like that.

I'm hoping this years massive new crop will calm down in a couple of months. Although by then the olympics crop will be up and nodding all over the show.
  • rick_chasey
    Real n00bs aren't the problem though.

It's the people who are slow enough that you're substantially quicker than them, but quick enough that they get a little racey.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Real n00bs aren't the problem though.

It's the people who are slow enough that you're substantially quicker than them, but quick enough that they get a little racey.

I have nicknamed that demographic 'Allez man', although they can often also be found on a trek 1.2 or any Fuji.

Apologies to riders of those machines- they're actually very good which is why a relative noob can go fast enough to cause problems on them.

Starting to sound like a bit of a snob now aren't i. :oops:
  • rick_chasey
    Trademark moves:

- trying to squeeze back past you even though you're obviously slowing down in anticipation of traffic ahead.

- undertaking.

- re-passing you when you're stationary at the lights.

- tailgating (it's not drafting when you're in amongst traffic. There's barely any wind then anyway).

- pulling out to pass someone without looking over their shoulder.

- general unexpected movements.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Silly septic bint.

"Dozens of bikes obstruct cars that have the right-of-way while streaking across the hectic roundabout at Hyde Park Corner." It's precisely that attitude which does make cycling in London hazardous. Not dangerous - no more 'laden with danger' than walking, as we know - but hazardous, peppered with hazards. Which can be avoided by cycling competently and with reasonable awareness.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012