Canyon Nerve AM - the cons ?

prowbiker
prowbiker Posts: 43
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I`m after a new full bouncer and cannot ignore the spec of the Canyon Nerve AM series.

However, I have read something about the bearings in the frame, namely that you cannot diy remove/replace them due to some form of proprietary bolts.

Can anyone substantiate this - or give advice on servicing them ?

Its the only thing stopping me hitting the BUY button !

Ta :-)
Santa Cruz Heckler 2006

Comments

• mattjevans
    mattjevans Posts: 253
    I just went out to the shed and checked mine, I cant tell if the bolts are proprietary (though I doubt it) but I can tell you they all fitted a standard allen key on my multi-tool - no even if the susp pivot bolts themselves aren't M[X], they certainly have metric allen heads

Who told you this?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    prowbiker wrote:
    Hi All,

I`m after a new full bouncer and cannot ignore the spec of the Canyon Nerve AM series.

However, I have read something about the bearings in the frame, namely that you cannot diy remove/replace them due to some form of proprietary bolts.

Can anyone substantiate this - or give advice on servicing them ?

Its the only thing stopping me hitting the BUY button !

Ta :-)

They are no different to anyother make of bike. All the bolts and bearings are industry standard and are easily available from any bolt or bearing supplier. As for removing them its easy you can buy bearing removers but really they arent necassary you can get them all out with a drift or make a bearing puller out of a length of studding, a nut, some washers and a few sockets.

Where did you read about this non standard business no one else has ever heard of it. Anyway my Nerve XC is 14 months old done over 2,000 miles in some of the worst wet weather I can remember and all the bearings are sweet as a nut and will last for a good long time yet.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap