Vicky Pendleton story Wed 18 July on TV 9pm

2»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I found some of it quite hard to watch, clearly she has some issues with her thoughts but then they re probably what makes her such a good competitor. I hope after she stops competing she can sort through some of them and become much happier within herself. Using Skyspeak her Chimp must be working overtime!! ;)

Little sympathy for her dad!

The problem with Scott needent have been made such a big deal - Essentially Scott moved to doing the same job he did with cyclists with the swimmers for a few years, it was hardly a massive change. It was VP's choice to stick with him, perhaps the "handover" could have been done a lot better - which i think was Sutton's point. OK so it's a bit less romantic, but...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I thought it was a really well made program. Obviously a little too romantic because of wanting to help get the viewers excited about the Olympics, but really presented well. I feel for her. She obviously has major personal doubts and has been doing the whole cycling thing to please others. I think the negative comments about her on this thread are really harsh and thoughtless. Shane, as ever, comes across as someone you'd love to share a pint with and put the world to rights... I really do hope she finishes on a high at this Olympics. God forbid she finishes still with doubts in her mind...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I haven't watched the documentary, but i've seen interviews before where she talks candidly about her mental struggles. I get the feeling that she doesn't particularly like cycling (at least not the competitive part), she just happens to be very good at it. Which is interesting when you compare her to her colleagues like Bradley Wiggins and Mark Cavendish, who both have a deep passion for the sport and seem to thrive on the competitive aspect of it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    It's on iplayer and genuinely worth a watch. It's amazing how much of a soap opera is going on behind the scenes at BC. Quite different form the corporate image they present most of the time. It's good as a sports story, not just a cycling story!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Moomaloid wrote:
    I thought it was a really well made program. Obviously a little too romantic because of wanting to help get the viewers excited about the Olympics, but really presented well. I feel for her. She obviously has major personal doubts and has been doing the whole cycling thing to please others. I think the negative comments about her on this thread are really harsh and thoughtless. Shane, as ever, comes across as someone you'd love to share a pint with and put the world to rights... I really do hope she finishes on a high at this Olympics. God forbid she finishes still with doubts in her mind...

I take it you never heard her comments after that team sprint in which she false started and then blamed Shanaze Reid's lack of experience when they subsequently got knocked out? Came across as a prima donna to me then and the documentary did nothing to change that opinion.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    That docu was half soap opera, half GCSE psychology, but somehow great TV. Defo worth watching. Not sure it captured one hundred per cent what makes her a winner though, what makes her such a fighter when the chips are really down.