big ride checklist

jakjtb
jakjtb Posts: 111
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Hey guys,
what's your checklist for a big ride out?
i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Couple of cereal bar things and fill up the camelbak. Everything is already in there - tools, tube, pump.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Tools, drink, food, tubes, phone, money, ID, bike!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Everything I bring on a short ride but more food and spare clothes.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    8-10 flapjacks 1 extra spare tube, more drink powder, chain lube, pain killers plus all the normal stuff. Plus a tail light.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Depends how big, where and when. Nothing special, tool, tube, pump, phone, money, maybe a gilet if the weather looks iffy, couple of energy bars if it's a really big one.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    jakjtb wrote:
    Hey guys,
    Define "BIG".
    Are you talking a 30 miler, 60? 100?
    Or something like the TransRockies?
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    On top of the usual I often take a group shelter, hat and hard shell. May take an extra fleece too depending on time of year aswell as a flask with tea in. All fits inside a 25ltr bag or it can be split between group.

Being stuck in the pouring rain and wind is no fun and even a minor injury can become serious...
  • Start out with :
    Food
    Water
    Tube + pump
    Multitool.

realise everyone else is still faffing.. add a gillet, just in case..
    realise everyone else is still faffing.. what are they packing? i must have forgotten something.. add some waterproofs just in case
    realise everyone else is still faffing.. still packing? i must have forgotten something.. add a three piece suite, just in case

Ride. only use water and food. Nearly die under weight of extra kit. Swear never to let yourself get sucked into taking so much kit again.

Repeat ad infinitum
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Spare mech hanger, just zip tie it under your saddle then it's always there when you need it... nothing worse than ruining your ride for the sake of a 2 minute fix
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    Water, puncture kit, small first aid kit, tools, nuts, seeds, fruit, spoke key, numerous spare tubes, map if needed, pump, phone, cash and that's about it.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Define "BIG".

My obvious.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    I'm crap at packing stuff to take on a ride I just take money and a phone. If i'm going somewhere really remote in the alps I may take a backpack with a tube and a c02 pump and a multitool but not normally. If it can't fit in my pocket I don't like carrying it! The most i've had to walk was an hour or so and that was when I smashed my back wheel all to crap up on pleney, so a multitool wouldn't have helped anway
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    jakjtb wrote:
    Hey guys,
    Define "BIG".

30 to 60 miler
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • YeehaaMcgee
    jakjtb wrote:
    jakjtb wrote:
    Hey guys,
    Define "BIG".

30 to 60 miler
    Right, well, depending on terrain, a 30-60 mile ride could take all day, so start with the usual pump, patches, spare tube, tyre levers, spoke tool, chaintool, maybe a spare powerlink.
    Then add a water/showerproof jacket, a map of the area, and some actual food. Not just some energy bars or whatever, but take some proper sarnies, enough to get you through the day kind of food. And a metric fuc*ton of water.
    That should suffice really for an all-day trip.
  • grl
    grl Posts: 65
    Keys, wallet, phone, small tool kit and after the weekend, a small first aid kit and emergency blanket thing, one of those shiny ones you see marathon runners have. What they called?
    Cube AMS 110 Pro
    Spesh Rockhopper Comp
    Bianchi Nirone 7
    Spesh Sirrus Comp
    Dahon D7 Speed (for sale, PM if you woudl like to buy - a bargain!)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    grl wrote:
    Keys, wallet, phone, small tool kit and after the weekend, a small first aid kit and emergency blanket thing, one of those shiny ones you see marathon runners have. What they called?
    Why would you need a space blanket after the weekend?
  • grl
    grl Posts: 65
    My mate came a cropper on the black run at Llandegla, broke his leg and we had to wait about 40 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. Was struggling keep him warm.

Space blanket, didn't know that. Every day is a school day
    Cube AMS 110 Pro
    Spesh Rockhopper Comp
    Bianchi Nirone 7
    Spesh Sirrus Comp
    Dahon D7 Speed (for sale, PM if you woudl like to buy - a bargain!)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Really? Wow, lucky you had one I guess. It didn't feel that cold, but when you're broken a leg you can go into shock quite easily.
    Yes, they're called space blankets, but disappointingly, you can't go to space in one.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    grl wrote:
    ... a small first aid kit and emergency blanket thing, one of those shiny ones you see marathon runners have. What they called?

Good on you for carrying a space blanket or blizzard bag (Afoil sleeping bag) It amazes me when you see people out biking with nothing to keep themselves (or others) safe and warm. Even when waiting un-injured with a casualty hypothermia can quickly set in making you a victim too.

Even though its July it was still hats and gloves weather at times this weekend!

Hope your mate recovers soon (and he has a suitable scar and video evidence to show his exploits!)
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I usually carry one of the orange emergency bags in my rucksack. Also doubles up as an extra layer of protection between my bladder (drinks) and tools. Also handy for sitting on when having a snack, save a soggy ass, assuming you haven't got one already which is actually most of the time...
  • I tend to have the same stuff in my camelback regardless. i just cant be bothere re-packing it, if i leave it the bag i know its there.....cant forget it them. Works for an hour lap of cannock up to the C2C.

Phone, wallet, quality multi tool, couple of flap jacks, small first aid kit, 1 or 2 inner tubes, small emergency patch kit, small roll of electrical tape, couple of zip ties, beanie hat, old alpinestars long sleeve top, small pump and then depending on the conditions a riding jacket. oh and a normally i stick a camera in.

Sounds a lot when i write it out............but really the beanie and long sleeve top i only notice when i completey empty my bag they live stuffed right at the bottom and take up no room, the wallet, phone, multitool and tape are in the little front pocket, and the jacket gets rolled up and clipped with some a couple of the many straps on the outside of the bag.

Its a camelback chaos, its smaller than a normal back pack, has a 2l bladder, a separate main compartment and a small front pocket with some webbed pockets inside. straps on either side and the base, i think these were designed to hold body armour and stuff when your getting around alps before hitting a trail.

It works a treat when i snowboard as well, have managed to carry 2 sets of skis (not mine.......i board, wifes and sisters kit) with it from the chalet to the lift station.

The first aid kit is pretty important, i only have water in my camelback, so i can pretty much clean my self up, put on some anti septic and cover the graze, cut, gaping wound over to get me back to the car without it covered in sheep poo, dog poo, cow poo and other crud that litters the countryside and forests we all play in.
    Blood, Sweat and 21 Gears...wait...no 27....30...arse 2x10?

Specialized Hardrock, 1997 Marin Nail Trail - current
    Giant Glory Merlin Malt 2 Big Hit Expert Marin B-17 Marin Nail Trail Diamondback Topanga - Gone but not forgotten