If you have an Aliante on your bike, lets see it fitted

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Nose up, nose down or any other variation. How did you mount yours on your bike for most comfort ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Just (and I mean about 1 degree) up at the front. Dead level works for me OK, but just a tad up works even better.

As the Aliante settles in and starts to sag a bit more then dead level.
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    dead level here also, so much so I use a spirit level :oops:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Dead level. Set it using an a4 book and spirit level.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Raffles
    Ive bought an Aliante from a member here ,hence my question. Theres a fair bit on the net regarding the positioning of this saddle due to its "sit in " rather than "sit on " design. A point that was mentioned frequently is that the levelling be done from the tip of the saddle to the beginning of the "V" at the rear and NOT the tip to the absolute rear. It was also mentioned that dead level actually looks like "nose up" when you view it eyes only.

Would you agree with any of this ?

If you were setting it dead level for your own use , how exactly would you go about doing it ? I know it sounds like a dozy question, but to the naked eye, the saddle is far from flat :oops: For starters, where should the spirit level be placed tip to rear, tip to start of V etc ?
  • napoleond
    As I said,
    Bike on flat bit of ground
    Place big hardback book over saddle
    Place spirit level on book
    Level it
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Raffles
    Thought you might suggest that. On another bike site somebody said if you do it like that it results in a big nose down position that has you sliding off the front of the saddle.......hence the fitting scenario being a tad pernickity.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Bearing in mind it depends on angles of your bike and the increments of your seatpin ... But as everyone else has said, dead level ...
  • Raffles
    It would be really helpful for me if somebody had a pic of their Aliante mounted onto their bike for a visual reference.
  • Raffles
    easyrider100_8943.jpg

theres somebody who has taken the time to get his aliante looking pretty level ( to me anyway ) but would you agree its a bit nose up at the front ?

with the shape of the saddle, question I keep asking myself is you measure from tip to where and then deem it level , its obviously not tip to very back.
  • napoleond
    c502.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • sparkins1972
    sparkins1972 Posts: 252
    Sweet looking bike NapD - what model is it?
  • napoleond
    Sweet looking bike NapD - what model is it?

C50

I no longer have it as it was one size too small :(

I now have a Cervelo R3 but don't have a suitable pic to show the saddle angle.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Raffles
    Thanks for the pic Nap

Odd to see a saddle fitted and the rails pointing upwards instead of flat, is your saddle levelled from very tip to the farthest point at rear and how comfy do you find the aliante to be
  • napoleond
    I place a big hardback book over the highest 3 points of the saddle and use a level.

I find the Aliante very comfortable indeed but saddles are a very personal choice.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    BjMpL.jpg?1

Its full on level for me.
    This Aliante has been down the road a couple of times but still loathe to part with it.. there is a major scar on this facing side which will give up the ghost fairly soon I dare say.
    I will stick with fizik though.
  • Raffles
    JGSI wrote:
    BjMpL.jpg?1

Its full on level for me.
    This Aliante has been down the road a couple of times but still loathe to part with it.. there is a major scar on this facing side which will give up the ghost fairly soon I dare say.
    I will stick with fizik though.

how come yours looks level with the rails looking parallel to the floor and nap`s rails are pointing upwards ?
  • jgsi
    Now Nap has a HUGMUNGOUS setback FSA looking carbon seatpost.. probably 35mm and the seat is on the back part of the rails :wink: I cannot compete with my oem cannondale SAVE seatpost :D
  • napoleond
    JGSI wrote:
    Now Nap has a HUGMUNGOUS setback FSA looking carbon seatpost.. probably 35mm and the seat is on the back part of the rails :wink: I cannot compete with my oem cannondale SAVE seatpost :D

If you look closely the clamp is actually bang in the middle of the clamping area :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jgsi
    NapoleonD wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

If you look closely the clamp is actually bang in the middle of the clamping area :)

oh aye so it is.. OP it is 'optical illusion' to answer your question therefore :lol:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Raffles - you can not even see the floor in the picture so its a stretch to say it looks level with it.

You sit on the saddle not the rails so the saddles needs to be flat - the rails are irrelevant as they do not necessarily run parallel to the saddle.
    Yellow is the new Black.