Racing Sportives !!

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,926
    To be fair, a post about treating a sportive as an amateur race is unlikely to be a topic that would get much discussion in pro race.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980
    This thread has nothing to do with professional cycling, therefore it doesn't belong in pro-race.

It could have been put into road general, or in the sportive section but given the tone, I didn't think that was appropriate.

So here it is.

As for the halford comment - that's in relation to the viewing experience of watching professional racing.

Now stop whining about the modding.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    You're a comedian Rick. If it wasn't terrible nobody would complain :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    ddraver wrote:
    Are you talking about the guy in the spoiler thread that stopped at a food stop and then whined that a guy that did nt stop rode a faster time than him? That guy is an idiot.

There is little point training to "win" and event where people are nt racing you. Fair enough train to get your own time down but the position you arrive at the finish line is irrelevant. If your acquaintance wants to race, then enter a race with other people that are racing to be the winner of the race!

I guess you're referring to me.

The fact is, sportives are races. But for people who like to hide behind the fact that they arent marketed as races.

Then if they do badly or get beaten, they can just use the excuse:

"its a sportive, so I wasnt racing anyway"

When in reality they were riding as hard as they could.

I ride to win.

Unfortunately my brother in law in the support car wasnt at the foodstop, otherwise I would have got a lift back up the next climb to get me back to where I deserved to be.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    styxd wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Are you talking about the guy in the spoiler thread that stopped at a food stop and then whined that a guy that did nt stop rode a faster time than him? That guy is an idiot.

There is little point training to "win" and event where people are nt racing you. Fair enough train to get your own time down but the position you arrive at the finish line is irrelevant. If your acquaintance wants to race, then enter a race with other people that are racing to be the winner of the race!

The fact is, sportives are races. But for people who like to hide behind the fact that they arent marketed as races.

I ride to win.

Unfortunately my brother in law in the support car wasnt at the foodstop, otherwise I would have got a lift back up the next climb to get me back to where I deserved to be.
    Why did you deserve to be anywhere? You stopped at a food stop on a sportive (the definition of which is above) what makes you entitled to some form of special treatment?

You ride to win, an event in which everyone who finishes is a winner?
  • Pross
    styxd wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I ride to win.

Why did you deserve to be anywhere? You stopped at a food stop on a sportive (the definition of which is above) what makes you entitled to some form of special treatment?

Judging by that last paragraph I think he's being tongue in cheek!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    This thread has nothing to do with professional cycling, therefore it doesn't belong in pro-race.

It could have been put into road general, or in the sportive section but given the tone, I didn't think that was appropriate.

So here it is.

As for the halford comment - that's in relation to the viewing experience of watching professional racing.

Actually its a thread about a advert that follows an amateur triathlete - which part of 'amateur triathlete' corresponds to 'pro race'?

And as for 'whining' is there a rule that says we can't post if it upsets the mods - please direct me to relevant rule/regulation; half of crudcatcher would be deleted.

If there isnt a rule and the modding is bad - i'll continue to post about it. Simples.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Pross wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I ride to win.

I'm prepared for that. Bit of a fine line sometimes,it really is hard to tell if people are playing dumb or are actually.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t

So here it is.

Actually its a thread about a advert that follows an amateur triathlete - which part of 'amateur triathlete' corresponds to 'pro race'?

And as for 'whining' is there a rule that says we can't post if it upsets the mods - please direct me to relevant rule/regulation; half of crudcatcher would be deleted.

If there isnt a rule and the modding is bad - i'll continue to post about it. Simples.
    He's a fixie commuter too. OH THE TURMOIL!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980

So here it is.

There are rules.

You can find them here: viewtopic.php?f=40034&t=12846748&p=17546828#p17546828

As for the halfords advert. Maybe I wasn't being clear.

It is an advert regularly shown during the TdF coverage. It is therefore part of the viewing experience.

Anyway, if you had a problem with it, I suggest you flag it up as off topic - rather than bringing it up in an argument when it suits you.

If you have issues with moderating, please post them in the 'discuss the website' section. I suggest keeping the post friendly and as constructive as possible in order to get the most constructive response. The nicer you are, the more they're likely to listen :).
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    So there's no rule about discussion of moderation.

Therefore I can freely say it's crap!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704

You can.

But unless you can provide a reasoned argument in the right place, we're not going to pay any notice, as it's clearly not affecting you enough for you to care about letting us know.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    edited July 2012
    whyamihere wrote:

You can.

But unless you can provide a reasoned argument in the right place, we're not going to pay any notice, as it's clearly not affecting you enough for you to care about letting us know.
    I did just this a number of weeks ago,those posts were removed and I was banned for 24 hours. My argument was entirely reasoned and factual yet,when it came down to it even that wasn't good enough.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,491
    When the snowball starts to roll: push !!

Magic.

Bears
    Obree's Latest
    Tour of my nans Garden spoilers
    Tour de Francis - get that idiot of the telly
    Halfords fantasy TDF game

All pro-race forum material of course.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • whyamihere
    When the snowball starts to roll: push !!

Magic.

Bears
    Obree's Latest
    Tour of my nans Garden spoilers
    Tour de Francis - get that idiot of the telly
    Halfords fantasy TDF game

All pro-race forum material of course.
    If I must...

Bears - Rumoured to be the reason for the tacks thrown on the road in presumed protest in this year's Tour.
    Obree - Ex pro, perfectly legitimate
    Nan's garden - satire based on the rather dull route of some races
    Tour de Francis has been explained by Rick, and the fantasy TDF game is clearly related to a pro race, and fans of professional racing will be most likely to be interested in that.

Also consider that if nobody reports a post, we will generally consider most users to be happy with what's going on, and let it slide, it's just easier. Clearly people were unhappy with this being in Pro Race, due to it being an event which is legally prohibited from even being classified as an amateur race.

T.M.H.N.E.T - Note where I said a reasoned argument. That doesn't mean insults or smarmy comebacks.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,491
    We are in cake stop now - smarmy comments are two a penny: get them free on Mondays.

You mean us cake stoppers and bottom bracketers aren't interested in Pro racing !?!?! get over yerself.

"Clearly people were unhappy with this being in Pro Race..." aaah diddums.

My original posting was pointed at people who might actually race - to get their opinion.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    whyamihere wrote:
    T.M.H.N.E.T - Note where I said a reasoned argument. That doesn't mean insults or smarmy comebacks.
    The argument was reasoned and still is relevant No matter how we,the users of the forum address the issues it's a brick wall.

It's funny you mention smarmyness - smarmy attitude from certain staff members is indeed an integral part of most of the issues discussed. (Obviously discussed here or BB as in the BR Office,threads seem to fall into a black hole)

Would you care to peruse some examples of general staff attitude? I'm sure as a forum user I am wrong, yet my experience of working with gaming leagues,communites and many other sites/forums(including backend configs and databases) over the last decade gave me a critical eye.

It may also be sensible to conclude this conversation via pm should you wish.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    We are in cake stop now - smarmy comments are two a penny: get them free on Mondays.

You mean us cake stoppers and bottom bracketers aren't interested in Pro racing !?!?! get over yerself.

My original posting was pointed at people who might actually race - to get their opinion.

Ah but you forget Pinarello the people in pro race are experts, each has read at least 2 books on pro racing and some have even watched it on tele, they don't need to be distracted by the pursuits of the lesser man - experts need to have their intellects cosseted and challenged so they can dedicate their lives to trying understand why they are just talentless amateurs like the rest of us :D
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Then Pro Race was the wrong place; mostly couch potatoes who appear to know little about the sport or members of the cycling gay mafia (Rick was arguing with the cycling WAGs on Twitter the other day - how gay is that ?) into talking crap about pro cycling and cyclists and trying to prove each other wrong on the internet. I do enjoy reading the daily race spoiler threads in a schadenfreude kind of way; mostly verbal diarrhoea from people who don't know how to read a race.

Stick with the Cycling gang who actually ride bikes.
  • whyamihere
    Where did I say that?
    It's a forum for their usage too...
    That's not what Pro Race is for. Amateur race would be closer to what you're looking for,, but again, sportives are not races.
  • paulmgreen
    paulmgreen Posts: 158
    whyamihere wrote:
    The argument was reasoned and still is relevant No matter how we,the users of the forum address the issues it's a brick wall.

It's funny you mention smarmyness - smarmy attitude from certain staff members is indeed an integral part of most of the issues discussed. (Obviously discussed here or BB as in the BR Office,threads seem to fall into a black hole)

Would you care to peruse some examples of general staff attitude? I'm sure as a forum user I am wrong, yet my experience of working with gaming leagues,communites and many other sites/forums(including backend configs and databases) over the last decade gave me a critical eye.

It may also be sensible to conclude this conversation via pm should you wish.

+1
  • Cleat Eastwood

So here it is.

There are rules.

You can find them here: viewtopic.php?f=40034&t=12846748&p=17546828#p17546828

As for the halfords advert. Maybe I wasn't being clear.

It is an advert regularly shown during the TdF coverage. It is therefore part of the viewing experience.

Anyway, if you had a problem with it, I suggest you flag it up as off topic - rather than bringing it up in an argument when it suits you.

If you have issues with moderating, please post them in the 'discuss the website' section. I suggest keeping the post friendly and as constructive as possible in order to get the most constructive response. The nicer you are, the more they're likely to listen :).

So until a sub forum is created called "what i watched last night" you'd agree that it's the wrong part of the forum. Could you remove it please and put it in cake stop - a genuine request.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,402
    Pross wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I ride to win.

I seriously hope so, and if so I withdraw the idiot comment, But if not then......flip me! :shock:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    :D:D
  • Pross
    Jeez, will some of you get over this moaning about the modding of this site please? There are several other cycling based forums out there if you don't like the way this one is being run. Whilst I think the whole Cake Stop / minority of moaning commuters was handled there are far more important things than to still be harping on about it months later!
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Back to the original subject!?..............they say a sportive is like a Cat 4 race??...............WRONG, WRONG AND TOTALLY WRONG!!

I have been riding sportives for 3 years and had some good results as I look at them as a challenge and real good day out and yes I do try and get as close to the top as possible and managed an 11th, a 16th and a 6th.

This year I started racing proper so entered some Cat 4 races.................OH MY GOD!!.........a total baptism of fire and NOWT like a sportive.

Tell them to get into a Cat 4 race and they will then (and only then) understand the difference.......they are poles apart!!

In a sportive you can settle into a nice pace and grind out your 100 mile or whatever distance you enter........Cat 4 race.......prepare to be beasted!!

Massive changes of pace, attacks, close chain-gangs and rotations........just a completely different (and superb) experience.

Once they have tried a Cat 4 race ask them to explain the difference and then they might not be as bold.

Well done to them for getting good results in sportives coz like I say that what I like to do too but racing is a different gravy!!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Pross wrote:
    Jeez, will some of you get over this moaning about the modding of this site please? There are several other cycling based forums out there if you don't like the way this one is being run. Whilst I think the whole Cake Stop / minority of moaning commuters was handled there are far more important things than to still be harping on about it months later!

There are indeed other cycling forums - i'm on most of them - but none are as badly moderated as this one - particularly by one experienced volunteer moderator. Also pross there is a subtext to this particular issue of which i'm sure you're unaware - but you're right there are more important things in life.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    AndyD2574 wrote:
    Back to the original subject!?..............they say a sportive is like a Cat 4 race??...............WRONG, WRONG AND TOTALLY WRONG!!

I have been riding sportives for 3 years and had some good results as I look at them as a challenge and real good day out and yes I do try and get as close to the top as possible and managed an 11th, a 16th and a 6th.

This year I started racing proper so entered some Cat 4 races.................OH MY GOD!!.........a total baptism of fire and NOWT like a sportive.

Tell them to get into a Cat 4 race and they will then (and only then) understand the difference.......they are poles apart!!

In a sportive you can settle into a nice pace and grind out your 100 mile or whatever distance you enter........Cat 4 race.......prepare to be beasted!!

Massive changes of pace, attacks, close chain-gangs and rotations........just a completely different (and superb) experience.

Once they have tried a Cat 4 race ask them to explain the difference and then they might not be as bold.

Well done to them for getting good results in sportives coz like I say that what I like to do too but racing is a different gravy!!

+1

Sportives are not comparable with a cat 3\4 race at all.
  • Pross
    Well, I came 25th out of 59 over the 101 mile distance in my first sportive race last Sunday - well chuffed as I lost half an hour on my 2 mates in the last 15 miles after getting the bonk. My other 2 club mates were 4th and 5th, do they get points on their licence? ;)