Front mech Q for a double and bash

baz2963
baz2963 Posts: 174
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Im running a double and bash setup on SLX cranks (24T,32T) and need a conventional top pull mech for it, bearing in mind I may change to a 36t outer ring. Im also running a 3x10 shifter, will this need to go if im running a specific 2x10 front mech ?

Will one of these work ?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... ional.html

Just that it mentions "44-38 tooth outer ring compatible, total capacity 14 teeth" ?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If a three ring crankset use a 3 ring mech and shifter and just set the mech stops.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • baz2963
    baz2963 Posts: 174
    Cheers .. in that case will I be able to run a 3x9 mech along with a 3x10 shifter ?

Thanks
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Yep, just index the rear mech by putting the chain in the smallest sprocket, and 2 on the shifter. Just screw in the stop.
  • nicklouse
    Greer_ wrote:
    Yep, just index the rear mech by putting the chain in the smallest sprocket, and 2 on the shifter. Just screw in the stop.
    You are confused.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Greer_
    nicklouse wrote:
    Greer_ wrote:
    You are confused.

I am, is the OP trying to go 9 speed or 10 speed? i.e. what speed is the cassette and chain?

Read this in the FAQs:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Nine speed rear dérailleurs will not work with 10 speed mountain rear shifters. (They will however work with road “flat bar” 10 speed rear shifters. Dyna speed shifters pull twice as much cable per shift as 9 speed shifters, so if you use a 9 speed dérailleur it shifts two gears for every one push.) irrelevant

So the 10 speed shifter has a different cable pull to a 9 speed mech so they're not compatible?

I've read of mechs being set up like I said above (not that I can find any threads now) but I'm guessing it's wrong then.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You are now even more confused. Op is talking about front rings, so you'd but it in the biggest (previously middle) and set the H screw. Not the smallest. Second position on the shifter would be right though.

Your second bit refers to rear, not front.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Aaaah! :lol:

Makes a lot more sense. I knew that! Honestly! :wink:
    cooldad wrote:
    Second position on the shifter would be right though.

Glad that bits right.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    cooldad wrote:
    Your second bit refers to rear, not front.

It did. So this is correct if it was a rear mech (just to clear it up for me):
    Greer_ wrote:
    the 10 speed shifter has a different cable pull to a 9 speed mech so they're not compatible

And this is wrong (10 speed shifter, 9 speed mech):
    Greer_ wrote:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes and no, 9 and 10 speed spacing is different, as is cable pull, so it will never work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    Greer_ wrote:

And this is wrong (10 speed shifter, 9 speed mech):
    Greer_ wrote:
    Read it it does not make any sense at all.

Totally confused.

Read it.