JOGLE on Monday

PeakRider91
PeakRider91 Posts: 62
edited July 2012 in Road general
Hey guys I'm doing John o' groats to lands end cycle on Monday and just want some last minute tips.
Only worry is an injury can anyone recommend a daily stretch routine or diet or anything to do on route?

I'm planning on taking a99 to Inverness, loch ness to fort William , glen Coe to glasgow , Carlisle , Wigan , welsh boarder , a38 n straight line to Cornwall.

I know a respectable time is x2 weeks at 50 miles a day but I'm planning on taking upto x4 weeks only doing 25 a day or possibly more, as taking a lot of weight as will be camping every night.

So yea

If anyone can tell me how to take each day and a diet and routines, rest/breaks ect?

Also I'm unsure if I should take a backpack or try cram everything in my panniers?

How much weight is to much weight on your back everyday?

Thanks for any advice.

Harry

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Advice..... do it the other way round, LEJOG.
    I'd love to have the spare time, all the best and good luck on your journey
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Nothing like planning ahead ;) Good luck, 25 miles a day is within most people's ability.
  • Would do but prefer to get the scottish mountain region out the way 1st plus already booked train tickets now £84.60 Nottingham - Thurso
  • Cheers dodgy and would like to try 50 miles a day but don't want to get cockey and get an injury, seen so many video edits of people on YouTube doing it only to give up halfway due to seized kneecaps ect
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    good luck and enjoy.

I had this cunning plan to do a LEJOG.

My wife is always complaining that I never take her to see the UK - so I suggested I do the LEJOG and she can go ahead each day for about 100 miles and I would meet up with her. I had it all planned - we would rent a motor home etc. I figured I would get to realise an ambition and still have some comfort each night and company and she would get to see the UK in detail - also I thought when we hit a nice area we could just take a day off and play at tourists.

She told me to get stuffed :(
  • AJeffrey
    AJeffrey Posts: 7
    Diet? Stretch routine?

My buddy and I did it two years ago in 12 days, and our diet consisted of pies, sandwiches, burgers and chips. I am not kidding when i say we had chips every day, except on Tuesday! Oh, and we ate pasta once.

We wild camped all the way, so our panniers were bursting. Especially at evening time when we would stock up where we could with Strongbow Black.

It gets better..... my buddy smoked for the whole fortnight, and he is normally a non-smoker!

This is all true. Its about having a PMA.

And if you are camping, I suggest making use of the facilities in McDonalds restaurants. They are like a national network of clean toilets.

Enjoy it, its a fantastic trip.

Antony
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    AJeffrey wrote:
    And if you are camping, I suggest making use of the facilities in McDonalds restaurants. They are like a national network of clean toilets

Now I know who leaves them in shit state then cos when I go in them there blumin filthy :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Cheers for these tips im wild camping aswell might go on the odd campsite for a shower and as for going to the toilet iv already got myself 100 baby wipes packet. Can't beat a squat and spread in the outdoors.
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    AJeffrey wrote:
    Diet? Stretch routine?

My buddy and I did it two years ago in 12 days, and our diet consisted of pies, sandwiches, burgers and chips. I am not kidding when i say we had chips every day, except on Tuesday! Oh, and we ate pasta once.

We wild camped all the way, so our panniers were bursting. Especially at evening time when we would stock up where we could with Strongbow Black.

It gets better..... my buddy smoked for the whole fortnight, and he is normally a non-smoker!

This is all true. Its about having a PMA.

And if you are camping, I suggest making use of the facilities in McDonalds restaurants. They are like a national network of clean toilets.

Enjoy it, its a fantastic trip.

Antony

Not a phrase I use very often, but chapeu sir.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.