Worth upgrading my FSR or call it a day?

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
There always seems to be something wrong with my FSR. I bought it back in 2009 new for racing but it never agreed with me - it was too heavy and I didnt like the geometry. So I kept it for doing epics and rocky, more DH orientate trails.
I recently serviced the fork myself and replaced the Juicy brakes with Shimano SLX.
I've just been told I need 2 new wheels, a bottom bracket, frame bearings replaced and gears indexed.

Its gonna cost me the guts of £300. Do you think its worth it or should I sell the bike on to someone who knows what their doing?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You could probably do all of that for £100.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Something like this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    've just been told I need 2 new wheels, a bottom bracket, frame bearings replaced and gears indexed.

if someone roves me wrong i'll eat the proverbial hat, however, i cant see how you could do this for under £100.

1. have never found a decent set of wheel for under £100
    2. sub standard bb is £30, so even 2d hand going to be a few quid.
    3. frame bearings will cost you a fair bit, and with labour would take it above £100
    4. you could work out the gears yourself.

I would sack it off mate, split it. Keep the decent bits you've upgraded/like and buy omething a bit better 2nd hand.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • aidso
    Yeah this is what I am thinking.
    I got my wheels true'd a while back and the guy said that they were really buckled and to consider getting a new set. So I managed to replace the rear from a hack bike and apparantly it was no good. So at the very least, I need to replace the rear (£95) and will probably complete the set.
    The bearings are only £40 but ~£100 for the labour and to be honest Id rather pay the pro for the work as its a fundamental "part" of the bike.
    I could probably borrow the tools for the bottom bracket and save a bit there.
    The fork is pitted, but I serviced that myself and its working fine for what I use, but it just seems to be one thing after another.
    Any idea what I would get for a 2010 Specialized FSR XC frame only?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    £100 for frame bearings? You're shi**ing me, right?

But, all bikes need things replacing when they wear out. Doesn;t matter what bike you get, the wheelbearings, BB etc will need replacing when they wear out.
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    I think were talking about buying bearings and the labour, I was at least.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • aidso
    £100 for frame bearings? You're shi**ing me, right?.
    Only £40 for the bearings, but the labour is £100. I'm assuming its a bit of effort in pushing them out without scratching/cracking the frame hence the high cost...
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The only thing on that list that is a thing is new wheels.

If you serviced the fork I'm sure you'll be capable of installing a BB (SLX/XT €17), some bearings and indexing the gears, no?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Meh. Get a Marin next time, and you'll never pay for bearings again.
  • felix.london
    ...and btw - that's called servicing not upgrading as you could replace the worn out parts with cheaper components. How's that an upgrade ?

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london

or a hardtail :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Frame bearings can be fitted at home. A great set of wheels can be had from Merlin for £60 - Shimano hubs, Sun Ringle EQ25 rims, ACI DB spokes, handbuilt. Better than the original wheels on an FSR XC! Shimano bottom bracket from about a tenner. Gears indexing t home.

I reckon just over £100 and can be done.
  • YeehaaMcgee

or a hardtail :wink:
    Nah, definitely the Marin option. I mean who the hell really wants a hardtail?
  • felix.london
    Dirtrider wrote:
    've just been told I need 2 new wheels, a bottom bracket, frame bearings replaced and gears indexed.

if someone roves me wrong i'll eat the proverbial hat, however, i cant see how you could do this for under £100.

3. frame bearings will cost you a fair bit, and with labour would take it above £100

I would sack it off mate, split it. Keep the decent bits you've upgraded/like and buy omething a bit better 2nd hand.

Superstar AMX wheelset @ £130 (not the lightest but they'll do a job)
    SLX/XT BB for £20 (max)
    Bearings - not very much
    Indexing gears - a screwdriver

Trek Session 8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

+1

We used to charge £100 to do frame bearings on a Spesh, theirs are particularly prone to breaking up in situ and the ones in the chainstay pivot particularly can be real swines, even with a decent puller.

Which FSR is it? You say you bought it for racing, but now use it on more DH terrain, so is it an Enduro you were going to use for DH racing, or did you buy a Stumpy or FSR XC, which isn't really a race bike at all? Or an Epic, in which case keeping it for more gnarly stuff is a bit odd!

Thing is... you won't get a better bike even for £300, so in that respect it's worth doing.
  • aidso
    @njee It's an FSR XC Comp. I bought it for XC racing but its like a tractor and a crap one at that lol. I was mis-sold it and have since bought myself a Cube Hardtail for racing...but I still like the full suspension for sportives and doing DH tracks albeit it a slower speed and not doing all the jumps, at the weekends.
    I suppose you're right about keeping it. It just feels like when I'm riding it once and then spending £100, it soon mounts up and £100 here and there soon reaches the heights of a new bike.

In the last 3 months I've ridden it 3 times and have serviced the fork, replaced the breaks and now all this needs done. I might have a wee cry...and then fork up the £300 :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    How bad is each component? There's no MOT for bikes, so if it runs, even noisily, then you can just deal with the most urgent thing first.
    I'm guessing the wheels would be the most abused - and there's a pretty good (excellent) chance that you can just replace the bearings rather than replace the entire wheels.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    If you don't like the bike, get shot.

Otherwise, what supersonic said. Although I appreciate the frame bearings might be a pain, the rest is easy DIY stuff.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    supersonic wrote:
    A great set of wheels can be had from Merlin for £60 - Shimano hubs, Sun Ringle EQ25 rims, ACI DB spokes, handbuilt

These?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... lizer.html
  • aidso
    I just noticed your signature Supersonic. What type of riding do you do on your FSR Pro?
  • aidso
    I can get a set of Mavic Crossride Disc wheels, with spokes etc for £137. The reviews seem to be ok...
  • Chunkers1980
    Dirtrider wrote:

I'd get munching ;-)
  • felix.london
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCzB4TgvCM1VyVXEoKVi10oxC8gqyIDvdTwblXkfFz55z6VHLhe45vCTU

Trek Session 8
  • Chunkers1980
    aidso wrote:
    I can get a set of Mavic Crossride Disc wheels, with spokes etc for £137. The reviews seem to be ok...

Yes they are good (I have a set) but there are better value ones out there. The spokes are a nightmare and pricey to find.

Seriously those 60 Merlin Sun wheels are very close, if you don't want to spend much money.
  • aidso
    But with those Merlin ones, they just give me all the bits and I have to put the wheels together myself? I don't have the tools to fit and true spokes. Would rather buy a complete wheel and I can just stick my cassette on it.
  • Chunkers1980
    edited July 2012
    They're built by hand, or at least hand finished. PnP
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use my FSR XC Pro for xc/am riding, though I am selling it as it is a little too small and I don't liek the low bottom bracket.
  • Chunkers1980