Beyond mere interest?

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Is there anyone else out there who is sort of following the LA thread and is really starting to feel that the word "creepy" comes to mind? I get that feeling that if I looked in the dictionary under "stalker" I would be refered to that thread as an example. :?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I imagine you've posted more in that thread than most people.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Its one of the biggest stories in the history of cycling, why would a forum dedicated to cycling not have a thread with a great deal of interest in the story?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    anyone who thinks the OP of this thread is a bit creepy, and a bit of a "stalker". :wink:

Dennis, we didn't hear from you for AGES until the lance doping thread came back to life with the USADA affair....
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Its one of the biggest stories in the history of cycling, why would a forum dedicated to cycling not have a thread with a great deal of interest in the story?

His point seems to be more about the people who follow every move and word said by LA and not the people who simply discuss the actual actions/words that are part of the case.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Rundfahrt wrote:

His point seems to be more about the people who follow every move and word said by LA and not the people who simply discuss the actual actions/words that are part of the case.
    Some people take a greater interest than others, you may see that as creepy but I don't think it's anywhere near as creepy as following so closely a bunch of people who follow every move and word said by LA.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Some people take a greater interest than others, you may see that as creepy but I don't think it's anywhere near as creepy as following so closely a bunch of people who follow every move and word said by LA.

Let me get this straight, in your mind it is more creepy to follow a celebrity or an athlete (reading about his personal life as well as his professional life)with interest then to follow the same athlete (in the same way as before) only because you want to see him go down in flames?

Wow, that is fucked up...and I think the celebrity culture of magazines and tv shows following every move in this world is pretty stupid.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Let me get this straight, in your mind it is more creepy to follow a celebrity or an athlete (reading about his personal life as well as his professional life)with interest then to follow the same athlete (in the same way as before) only because you want to see him go down in flames?

Wow, that is farked up...and I think the celebrity culture of magazines and tv shows following every move in this world is pretty stupid.
    Yes because that is exactly what I said :roll:
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Some people do seem to have a bit of an unhealthy obsession judging by the in depth knowledge of some posters

I don't like Lance much but in the end it's a sport
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    I think that's called reading what you want to see!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Squaggles wrote:

I don't like Lance much but in the end it's a way to distract us from the tedium of our horrible jobs and lives

FTFY.

;)
  • Rundfahrt
    Slim, if that's not what you meant then why don't you explain it rather then be sarcastic and roll your eyes like a teenage girl.

Pross, it's getting creepy the way you run all over the board trying to insult me and conveniently avoiding certain points I make to you. You list your location as being "usually off the back" and it seems to be an excellent description.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Slim, if that's not what you meant then why don't you explain it rather then be sarcastic and roll your eyes like a teenage girl.

Pross, it's getting creepy the way you run all over the board trying to insult me and conveniently avoiding certain points I make to you. You list your location as being "usually off the back" and it seems to be an excellent description.
    Oh, was that an insult, from the 'member' who preaches about others insulting him. You should practice what you preach mate. And that goes, for trolling, ignoring, twisting, spinning, misdirecting as well. You're the master ;)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Wow, that is farked up...and I think the celebrity culture of magazines and tv shows following every move in this world is pretty stupid.

No, he's saying that Dennis is even creepier for being obsessed about the obsessives.....
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Oh, was that an insult, from the 'member' who preaches about others insulting him. You should practice what you preach mate. And that goes, for trolling, ignoring, twisting, spinning, misdirecting as well. You're the master ;)

I just knew you wouldn't respond like I asked.
  • slim_boy_fat
    PBo wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

No, he's saying that Dennis is even creepier for being obsessed about the obsessives.....
    ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! It wasn't that complicated was it? Maybe a bit beneath Rundy.
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Taste of your own medicine?
  • Rundfahrt
    PBo wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! It wasn't that complicated was it? Maybe a bit beneath Rundy.
    Rundfahrt wrote:

How is he being obsessive? I have only seen two posts from him about this. Oh, wait he is an American and he does not have a ravenous desire to see Armstrong destroyed...the two worst things you can be on this forum to some people.

Not a taste of my own medicine, because, if someone asks me to explain what I meant I provide an explanation. Nice try but, once again you fail.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Rundfahrt wrote:

How is he being obsessive? I have only seen two posts from him about this. Oh, wait he is an American and he does not have a ravenous desire to see Armstrong destroyed...the two worst things you can be on this forum to some people.

Not a taste of my own medicine, because, if someone asks me to explain what I meant I provide an explanation. Nice try but, once again you fail.
    He, he, he, he! You are indeed a funny guy. Chapéu!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't think its creepy. It doesn't really interest me though - its old history - I'd rather spend my time looking at todays cycling stories not this.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    No, it's not creepy. It's a subject of major interest that attracts the level of input you'd expect. There's not even any questionable content, just regular updates and the occasional chuckle.
  • dennisn
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Right. When I was a young boy I spent a bit of time staying at my Grandfather and Grandmothers. Grandma just loved her Soaps and movie star magazines. Watched them all and cried, cursed, yelled at the screen right along with the people in that little box. I often wondered why she got so upset about something that wasn't real, but I didn't really care all that much. I was too busy looking at scantly clad women in the magazines. Great stuff for a 10 year old, way back then.
    Anyway, I've always been sort of fascinated by people who follow everything about celebrities and famous people. Still am. I don't do it and I guess it makes me wonder why anyone else would. I'm also really taken in by people who believe things like wrestling is real. I have known, since age 8, that you can't jump off the top ring rope onto someones neck or chest and NOT kill them. Seemed pretty much self explanatory back then and nothing since has changed my mind.
    I only offer this story to explain that I really don't care about the stars and or the beautiful people, but the people who follow their every move, now that grabs my curiousity and simply won't let go. So call me the creepy stalker of the creepy stalkers or whatever you will but that's my story.
  • luckao
    Your tenuous analogies aren't really getting you anywhere. Why don't you name the creepy stalkers and initiate some form of discourse on the matter. Come on, don't skirt around the issue. You obviously have some names in mind.

Conversely, if your sole intent is to publicise your dissatisfaction with unfolding events by decrying Lance's detractors with the guise of a sincere curiosity about the underlying psychology of human actions, carry on as you were.
  • dennisn
    Luckao wrote:
    Your tenuous analogies aren't really getting you anywhere. Why don't you name the creepy stalkers and initiate some form of discourse on the matter. Come on, don't skirt around the issue. You obviously have some names in mind.

Conversely, if your sole intent is to publicise your dissatisfaction with unfolding events by decrying Lance's detractors with the guise of a sincere curiosity about the underlying psychology of human actions, carry on as you were.

It's not really about anyone in particular. It's about the why do some people get so wrapped up in a celeb, famous athlete, movie star? What's the story behind that girl who passed us, in the middle of Kansas, in an old kind of beat up van, with "honk if you love Prince" painted on the side, and his portrait painted on the rear doors? I need to know what, who, why, when, what for, etc. I really wanted to actually meet her. So no, no real names. Well, I did mention my grandmother.
    As for my ...dissatisfaction... There is nothing there, but it does seem(to me) that any LA post / thread really brings out the people who seem to hang on everything and anything about him and that brings my curiousity to a boil.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Have you tried existentialismradar.co.uk?
  • luckao
    dennisn wrote:
    Luckao wrote:

It's not really about anyone in particular. It's about the why do some people get so wrapped up in a celeb, famous athlete, movie star? What's the story behind that girl who passed us, in the middle of Kansas, in an old kind of beat up van, with "honk if you love Prince" painted on the side, and his portrait painted on the rear doors? I need to know what, who, why, when, what for, etc. I really wanted to actually meet her. So no, no real names. Well, I did mention my grandmother.
    As for my ...dissatisfaction... There is nothing there, but it does seem(to me) that any LA post / thread really brings out the people who seem to hang on everything and anything about him and that brings my curiousity to a boil.

"I choose option 2".

Got it.
  • dennisn
    Luckao wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Luckao wrote:

"I choose option 2".

Got it.

I'll try and carry on then.
  • luckao
    You'll find innumerable examples of western society's deification of celebrity figures where the subject's inherent worth fails miserably to justify the attention lavished on them. Unfortunately for cycling, this an intricate issue with much intrigue, not an obsession that is void of substance. There's a lot at stake here that a curious foray into anthropology doesn't even begin to explain.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'd forgotten how cranky this place gets in July.

I'm actually looking forward to it going back to Afx and Iain moaning about another dull stage in the Eneco tour.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • I'd forgotten how cranky this place gets in July.

I'm actually looking forward to it going back to Afx and Iain moaning about another dull stage in the Eneco tour.

Massive +1 , some recent posters seem to have a massive cross to bear and its getting tedious
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    There are never any dull stages in the Eneco Tour.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:
    There are never any dull stages in the Eneco Tour.

You mean this isn't the Eneco Tour?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.