Juan Jose Cobo ?

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
edited July 2012 in Pro race
What's happened to him ?

He reigned supreme in the Vuelta last year - this year he's been invisible ?

Can you really go from all conquering to anonymous in the space of months ? I've not seen that he's been ill or injured this season ? Not that getting injured seems to slow the decent riders down much - look at Spartacus bouncing back.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Yes, he doped to get a contract. He succeeded as he has one with Movistar.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    cougie wrote:
    What's happened to him ?

He reigned supreme in the Vuelta last year - this year he's been invisible ?

Can you really go from all conquering to anonymous in the space of months ? I've not seen that he's been ill or injured this season ? Not that getting injured seems to slow the decent riders down much - look at Spartacus bouncing back.

No injury or illness, but he said he started the season late and never really caught up. To be fair he was climbing very well yesterday, and I think the Vuelta is his season goal this year too.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Scandalous.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12611535
  • frenchfighter
    Presumably you draw this to the attention of others too?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    People don't usually make a blatant accusation as that.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Novel approach.
    Apparently riding the Tour as training for La Vuelta.
    (a bit like the Rabobank boys. :oops: )

Does FF earn a 200 Swiss franc fine and a 20 second penalty?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    afx237vi wrote:

Scandalous.

For once i agree with Frenchie.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Couldn't you say the same of Froome in the Vuelta?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Scandalous.

For once i agree with Frenchie.

*shrugs*

You can think it, but at the end of the day there's about as much proof as the stuff being thrown at Sky.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The thing with Cobo is that his variations in form are so extreme (no CQ points in 2010, to Vuelta champ and back again) that they just can't be attributed to dope alone. There has to be something else - I think he's said he suffers from depression.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Yes, he does suffer from depression. He has nearly quit cycling completely a couple of times.

For a number of reasons I hope he rides a good Vuelta.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,576
    I backed him for the tour at around 950. I couldn't see how his odds could be so long given that in the last Wiggns / Froome contest they lost to him. As a result, I followed his early results early on, and it seemed like he wasn't interested. Consistent perhaps with depression, training for the Vuelta or missing the magic spark. Who knows. Fortunately, cycling on Betfair is so illiquid, I sold my position (for a profit) quite some time after he limped in 10 mins down.
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah, I guess you could put it down to effort. However it seems odd to ride and win a hard fought grand tour than do nothing the whole rest of the time on either side. He doesn't look to be caring this tour and hasn't made any efforts then blown. Let's see at the vuelta. The more challengers for contador, the better it is for us.

Yes Iain. Im not convinced by froome as I have mentioned on the froome thread.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I think he's not been looking too bad these last couple of days in the mountains. Sort of lurking, if you will, but not going into the red. He may do something in the Pyrenees. (He does wear irritatingly long socks tho').
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I hadnt heard about the depression. Must admit I've not spotted him so far. Maybe next week ?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    cougie wrote:
    I hadnt heard about the depression. Must admit I've not spotted him so far. Maybe next week ?
    I think he made reference to it in an interview at the end of last year's Vuelta. It probably doesn't help that he knows he's not regarded as a member of Spain's cycling "royalty", such as Valverde or Contador. To be honest, he comes across as someone who, if he wasn't a pro cyclist, would be driving a tractor or a truck for a living.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    cougie wrote:

On the hand, his camp dancer alter ego "Louie Spence" is rarely off the telly.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

On the hand, his camp dancer alter ego "Louie Spence" is rarely off the telly.

I refer you to the post afx237vi made above.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105
    The main reason for wiggins and froome losing the time on the l'Angliru was due to not having a low enough
    gear, cobo did and this could be seen when the stage was shown live. Also the spanish crowds & menchov slowed wiggins and froome down as well. Cobo won the rest as he knew the climbs and rode a smarter race.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    It also didn't help that Sky made a mess of the opening TTT, if they'd have ridden that as well as they should have then Froome would probably have won the Vuelta.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    sportvan wrote:
    The main reason for wiggins and froome losing the time on the l'Angliru was due to not having a low enough
    gear, cobo did and this could be seen when the stage was shown live. Also the spanish crowds & menchov slowed wiggins and froome down as well. Cobo won the rest as he knew the climbs and rode a smarter race.
    You know more than the riders then who said they were not over geared just could not go any harder. Does not matter what gears you have if your in the red.
    Any lower gears and they may as well got off andwalked as they would have been going about 4mph !!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,576
    I have the question about Samuel Sanchez. I was expecting him to light up this year's tour, but sadly he is suffering from Cobo form.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I have the question about Samuel Sanchez. I was expecting him to light up this year's tour, but sadly he is suffering from Cobo form.

He crashed out on stage 8.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I think Cobo is tilting his season a the Vuelta once more.

His performance reminds me of Heras' years at Liberty. Utterly duff in the Tour, but a monster in La Vuelta. I think it is less a Cobo thing and more a case of Movistar's preparation for its home Tour.

Has anyone noticed that most of the rest of Movistar also stinks in this edition of La Grande Boucle?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Turfle
    Rode very well today. Look like he might be a factor at the Vuelta after all.