Switching from MTB to Road

trv75
trv75 Posts: 4
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I have been a keen mountain biker for the past 12 years or so, but during the last 6 months I have found my time 'off-road' becoming less and less in preference to road miles. So I have decided to finally buy a road bike and really try to start pushing the mileage up.

Currently on a route (road) I average 14-15mph on fairly level routes 200-300ft elevation (it's a bit flat where I am) over my usually time of 2 hours. What kind of increase (if at all) in mph could I expect switching over from a mountain bike to Road?

Reason for the question is I have road cyclist friends and would quite like to train with them but wouldn't want to hold them up while they wait for me wheezing at the back! :)

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Its difficult to say really, but I have been MTB'ing for around 15 years, when I switched to the road last year could hold around the 16-17mph average speed over 20 miles with around 1000ft climbing, (i live in the chilterns),

Now after a year of road, on my own, a nice decent pace on the road is holding 19-20 mph average over that sort of distance, and in our group rides, we average around the 23mph av.sp over a 24 mile route.

Road is very addictive, but tyr and get MTB miles in as well, as it really helps you to build "road strength"

Cheers
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    With that speed on an mtb.. You'll be looking at about 18 -19 mph do you'll be pretty quick! LolL
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Defyand
    Defyand Posts: 49
    My guess is with an mtb background you'll have no worries with road stamina
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    I ride a mountain bike on a two and a half mile commute.It's like riding in glue compared to riding my road bike.Your averages will shoot up with some dedicated road kit.
  • nathb84
    nathb84 Posts: 27
    The day before a big ride i like to do a quick spin on my full sus mtb, it makes the road bike feel super fast so you wont have any probs swapping over, well hopefully doing both!