2.1 Racing Ralph Evo to 2.4

matt-h
matt-h Posts: 847
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

what would i gaon from changing my RR EVO 2.1s to 2.4s?

I would expect a little morte weight and less reactive?

They are on a Felt Six Elite HT
Matt

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    More grip, more weight. Will they fit? May not.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The larger size Schwalbes I have tried have been absolutely massive.
    The 2.35" Hans Dampf, Muddy Mary & Nobby Nics are all bigger than my 2.5" Maxxis Minion DH tyres. They probably won't fit a lot of xc bikes, certainly wouldn't have been able to get them on my old Giant Trance X.
    How much clearance have you got? When I tried the 2.35" Nobby Nics on a bike with 100mm Rockshox Tora's the tyres rubbed on the foks as they flexed.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i run 2.4 NN and RR on my XC bike fine. adds a bit for comfort ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • matt-h
    I will have to measure rear clearance.
    Front for is RS Reba SL.

Not bothered about comfort, i'm used to my raod bike, i just dont want to lose the 'zippiness' of the Felt.
    Its nice and light.

What is hte most common tyre choice? QECP is quite local and i will be on singletrack in Winchester on a regular basis.

Do you use different for summer and winter?

Matt
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I run the same tyres all year round, even for the odd race. Seeing as you're looking at schwalbe, I run a 2.25" nobby nic up front for grip, and a 2.1" racing ralph on the rear. Both are in ORC compound (can be found for £20ish), but a nobby nic evo would probably work better on the front (£30ish). I really like the combo, and both tyres weigh in around 540g each.

I prefer less rolling resistance so personally wouldn't choose a 2.4".

Why do you want to change? More grip?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    2.4" is huge for xc riding. I would go for 2.25" Nobby Nics in the best compound you can afford.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    2.25" Ralphs or Nics, from Action Sports (€32 each IIRC), are excellent.

Rons are slightly lighter, but durability will suffer on the flints on the Downs.
  • matt-h
    I think i will try a 2.25 NN on the front then.
    Hopefully it will give a little more confidence in the shloppy stuff.

Thanks for all your input guys.
  • njee20
    If you want something that'll work in the crap then I'd get a Dirty Dan over a Nic which, IMO, are still pretty rubbish in the wet.
  • matt-h
    i try not to ride in really crap conditions, just sometimes find myself in that situation.

TBH i wouldn't want to completely lose the zippy feel it currently has.

How many sets of tyeres do you keep?
  • njee20
    Dan's weigh a good chunk less than Nics, they're the same carcass as a Rocket Ron.

Personally? I have quite a few sets of tyres split across 2 sets of wheels (racing and non-racing), more than many (or any sane person) I'd say:

- 2.1" Nobby Nics
    - 2.1" Racing Ralphs
    - 2.1" Rocket Rons
    - 2.25" Rocket Rons
    - 2.1" Dirty Dans
    - 2.1" Furious Freds
    - 1.5" Black Shark Muds
    - 2.0" Mud X
    - 2.0" S-Works Sauserwind
    - 2.2" S-Works The Captain

I've got 2 pairs of each of the 2.1" Rons, Ralphs, Nics, Dans and Mud Xs, so that's 15 pairs in total. Scary. Admittedly that includes a few which I need to repair.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Dan's weigh a good chunk less than Nics, they're the same carcass as a Rocket Ron.

Personally? I have quite a few sets of tyres split across 2 sets of wheels (racing and non-racing), more than many (or any sane person) I'd say:

- 2.1" Nobby Nics
    - 2.1" Racing Ralphs
    - 2.1" Rocket Rons
    - 2.25" Rocket Rons
    - 2.1" Dirty Dans
    - 2.1" Furious Freds
    - 1.5" Black Shark Muds
    - 2.0" Mud X

I've got 2 pairs of each of the 2.1" Rons, Ralphs, Nics, Dans and Mud Xs, so that's 15 pairs in total. Scary. Admittedly that includes a few which I need to repair.

:shock: All to be found at njee20-discount.de
  • matt-h
    njee20 wrote:

- 2.1" Nobby Nics
    - 2.1" Racing Ralphs
    - 2.1" Rocket Rons
    - 2.25" Rocket Rons
    - 2.1" Dirty Dans
    - 2.1" Furious Freds
    - 1.5" Black Shark Muds
    - 2.0" Mud X

i'm thinking thats not normal :P
  • njee20
    Yeah I kinda wish I'd not written that down :oops: