How much training for Land's End John O'Groats

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I am considering doing this next year, envisaging doing 80-100 miles a day and completing in 10-12 days.

I'm wondering about how much training to do as I obviously can't replicate 6-8 hours a day for a couple of weeks in training leading up to it, if anything I'll be busier at work before hand preparing for the time off. I have done rides of 80 plus miles for 2-3 days in the past is it a reasonable assumption that if I can do it for 3 days I can do it for 10 providing I stay fed and watered or is it not that simple?

FD

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Yeh, I think you'd be fine.

Never done anything like this before, but its more about the intensity of the miles rather than the actual amount I think.

For example, I might go and ride a very hard, hilly 40 mile ride and feel shattered the next day. Whereas I could do 80 odd easy going miles and feel fine the next day.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    My 18 year old son & two schoolmates tackle LEJOG over 10 days starting on Wed next week. So far they have raised over £5k for their chosen charities. They have done a bit of training but the weather will be the key factor I think. I intend to join them on a couple of legs.

Check out www.virginmoneygiving.com - Repton LEJOG
  • beancounter
    beancounter Posts: 369
    fatdaz wrote:
    Is it a reasonable assumption that if I can do it for 3 days I can do it for 10

No.

I did LEJOG (admittedly quite a few years ago!) in 9 days, so 100 miles a day.

I trained pretty much as you are proposing to do and my god did I suffer. It's the day-after-day-without-a-break which gets you. This was right up to the last day or two, by which time I had actually ridden myself into it and felt like I could ride 100 miles a day for ever.

Do more training, then do some more. Unless you like suffering...

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    fatdaz wrote:
    Is it a reasonable assumption that if I can do it for 3 days I can do it for 10

No.

I did LEJOG (admittedly quite a few years ago!) in 9 days, so 100 miles a day.

I trained pretty much as you are proposing to do and my god did I suffer. It's the day-after-day-without-a-break which gets you. This was right up to the last day or two, by which time I had actually ridden myself into it and felt like I could ride 100 miles a day for ever.

So, YES, then ;)
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    I think you'll be fine - you sound far more prepared than when I did mine and I managed!

Full details in my signature...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Yes, you should be fine, especially if you can kerp your schedule flexible enough to factor in a rest day when/if you need it. You'll get fitter as you go.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Thanks for all the responses. I might have a crack at this - just need to pursuade a couple of my buddies to do it.