Sram x4 problem

pumpbreaks
pumpbreaks Posts: 11
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hello

i would just like to say, thanks for all of the current information that is provided on the site, but i cant seem to fix this issue.

i bought a MTB which is 8 speed, all of the gears worked, but it needed replacing because one of the jockey wheels was worn, which caused the 8th gear to slip.

i watched many videos and set the dérailleur perfectly how they explained on the videos, setting all of the limit screws etc.

the problem is, when shifting gears during doing this one of the click "shifts" does not change the gear, so in turn misses out one of the gears and i only get 7.

Does this mean i need a new shifter or am i missing something out?

please help me as i am lost and cant find help :(

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No it probably means you are starting with a click engaged already. Fully release cable at the shifter, then undo the cable from the mech and start again.
  • pumpbreaks
    hmm, that sounds like that could be the case, i will try that now and note down what happens, i will record a video of whats happening.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a worn jockey wheel will not really make the chain slip.

are you sure that there was not another issue that is still there?

bent mech hanger?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pumpbreaks
    nicklouse wrote:
    a worn jockey wheel will not really make the chain slip.

are you sure that there was not another issue that is still there?

bent mech hanger?

when i say worn i mean hardly anything that resembles teeth, it hardly would stay on the wheel
  • Chunkers1980
    You need to get slightly more cable tension. Screw out the shifter barrel a tad.

Also best to do it in the middle cog, I think you're in the granny as the chain is pretty slack
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Looks like you might need a 1/4 turn on the barrel adjuster to put a tiny bit more tension in the cable. Also, have you tried it with the bike the right way up - might sound a bit obvious, but i've had some bikes which I've adjusted so they work perfectly (when upside down) then gone for a ride and they're a bit out. Got a work stand now and much easier!
  • pumpbreaks
    You need to get slightly more cable tension. Screw out the shifter barrel a tad.

Also best to do it in the middle cog, I think you're in the granny as the chain is pretty slack

i will try that and report back :D
  • pumpbreaks
    that looks like it would of worked, but i am starting to think that maybe the hanger is wrong? here is the video showing that even if i have the tension so high it nearly skips on to the next cog it still will not go on the the largest sprocket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKdmiA_x ... e=youtu.be
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Are you sure you have the top limit screw set correctly? Could be worth just loosening it off a touch so the mech can shift up further (whilst making sure you don't over cook it and put the whole lot in to the wheel)

Maybe post a pic from directly behind the mech - that would give us an idea if the mech is bent.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to start from scratch. First clean the cables and make sure are smooth. Then set the H stop while the cable is fully slack. Do this while on the LARGE front chain ring. Attach cable. Adjust tension until it moves to the next gear.

Set L stop when in the SMALL front chainring. Remember that some extreme combos cause probs ie large front/large rear or small front small rear due to chain angle and this may effect the indexing if you are doing it in these combos. Keep padjusting tension until you have it. The H stop is very important to get right.
  • supersonic
    Also adjust the B tension screw.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I know it's hard with the camera, but you should really be constantly pedalling while changing gear, not changing gear when the chain is stationary. It will help you watch the gear change better.
  • pumpbreaks
    i will try everything everyone has said and i will also get a photo, the l screw is very hard to set as i have to hold it in place and if i move it moves, making it hard to set. but i will try my 100% hardest :D onuce again thanks for everything and i will get back to you all :D
  • pumpbreaks
    i tried everything you guy have said and still nothing changes anything still wont shift to the largest sprocket here is a picture.

http://imgur.com/nLOt9
  • supersonic
    Is the L stop set to allow it to change to the large rear sprocket? Pull on the exposed cable to force the mech to move. It it does get on that cog, then cable tension is insufficient.
  • pumpbreaks
    i have now tried everything i could possible with nothing, i either get the largest sproket and it does not drop down to the smallest or the other way around.

is there a setting to make this a 8 speed?

is my shifter broken?

i have turned every screw 1/4 to both extremes and still nothing.

when its in the second largest sprocket i can pull the cable to make it go into the top cog, but if i set the tenstion, it does not drop into the smallest.

what else is there to try? the xram x4 is an 8 speed, so why does it only provide me with 7?
  • pumpbreaks
    i am not using SRAM 1:1 shifters would this have an effect?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    pumpbreaks wrote:
    i am not using SRAM 1:1 shifters would this have an effect?
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12704831
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    What are you using? You did not say you'd changed anything.