New bib shorts. An interesting look...

Fursty Ferret
Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Finally got round to getting a pair. They look great with jersey on but when I was striding around the house with just the shorts on my missus was wetting herself. Put it this way: I look nothing like the male model in the advert. In fact I look like a sausage that's escaped its casing. For a mental image, think Crazy Frog in a mankini and you'll be on the right lines.

Gutted.

Comments

• Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    In that case.. put a top on?
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Finally got round to getting a pair. They look great with jersey on but when I was striding around the house with just the shorts on my missus was wetting herself. Put it this way: I look nothing like the male model in the advert. In fact I look like a sausage that's escaped its casing. For a mental image, think Crazy Frog in a mankini and you'll be on the right lines.

Gutted.

Suggest she wears a dress from the Kate Moss collection and you'll be even...
    Lycra shorts are designed to fit the lean type, if you are not, resign to the sausage look
    left the forum March 2023
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I have noticed that in the cycling and triathlon community "large" and "extra large" seems to actually mean "tall" and "extra tall". Personally I'm waiting for the Jacomo triathlon range to come out :-)
  • The thing is if it was your Mrs wearing a bib and you laughed at her there'd be tears followed by dinner in the dog and a night or 2 on the sofa.

Or is that just happen in my house?
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Dressing routine for cycling in my house.

Go upstairs, bibshorts on, top on quickly after then downstairs to the garage and on the bike.

Why would you even contemplate giving your wife a permanent image of you in a pair of lycra dungarees? :wink:

That is an image that can scar for life (or at least it would be if I did it to my wife)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They are a great incentive to lose some weight though!
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Whenever my missus see's me in my bibshorts she starts clapping he hands above her head and chanting "easy, easy"!! :(;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Another good reason to always wear a base layer - they don't look quite as daft without your jersey on, especially if the base layer and bibs are the same colour.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I look like a gigantic black Bassets Jelly Baby that's been left too near a fire in mine :shock: Resemblnace is even more striking in tights
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    My Mrs thinks I look hilarious in regular Lycra shorts, not sure I could let her see me in bib type, it could be he end of a beautiful friendship. So, respect, for even allowing her to see them!
    Mind, I'm far from the skinnier guy in town. Has anyone ever tried Superdry clothing? XXL means "largish 15 year olds" in my experience, and I seem to suffer similar issues with Lycra.
    Ah well.

MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    In fact I look like a sausage that's escaped its casing. For a mental image, think Crazy Frog in a mankini

Oh yea baby that's the look..............your wife is one lucky lady.

Be loud and proud and wear lycra.......it's the only way to go.

I quite like giving my wife a laugh too, she keeps telling me what a hard life she has deciding where to go for lunch each day. ( she's out just now so I can say that :evil: )

P.S. Someone else on these boards said who cares if you look a tool if the clothes feel ok and they help your riding.

Just give a knowing wink to the next lycra-clad roadie you see 8)
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    my wife and kids say I look ridiculous in my Cube bib shorts, and when when I put on my matching Cube short sleeve jersey, well...................the eyes start rolling and I get the facepalms. Its as well I can take the stick :D
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    What are the purpose of bib shorts? what are the benefits over just cycling shorts and a jersey? my missus laughed with just the lycra shorts on so with a bib god only knows her reaction.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Bibs supposedly hold the pad in place better and dont need a tight waistband to hold them up. Cant say I really buy that though - I have no problem when cycling or otherwise to having normal shorts and they dont slide around.

However, bibs seem so dominant in the market for any serious cyclist that in order to get shorts with the best pads you seem to have to buy bibshorts. Hence I have a few Catelli bibs.

My family all laugh at me too - I have had to promise not to wear them whenever I go out cycling with my wife!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Stops u getting a gap between yr jerseys and shorts
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    smidsy wrote:
    Stops u getting a gap between yr jerseys and shorts

Doesnt happen for me anyway - if it does then your shorts or jersey are too short...
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I look ridiculous also, especially with the craft string vest base layer I bought :oops:

Even more embarrassing is getting changed in the locker room in work, which is used by approx 60 other people :!:

Good job I'm not easily offended :wink:
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Whenever my missus see's me in my bibshorts she starts clapping he hands above her head and chanting "easy, easy"!! :(;)

rofl
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Bibs are far more comfortable than normal shorts, there's no comparison. I found it difficult to find bibs that fit properly when I was very overweight though and had to make to do with normal shorts until I'd shed a couple of stone.

To avoid the Big-Daddy look simply wear them with the straps down until you're ready to put your top on.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I got in from a ride earlier and took off my jersey, helmet and shoes. My 2 year old daughter then wanted to sit on my bike so I popped on my slippers and took her outside while holding her on my bike walking her down the road. It was only until I was actually outside did I wonder what the neighbours might be thinking of my choice of cycle specific/slumber clothing mis-match. :lol: (I did have a base layer under the bibs though ;) )

Ah well, she loved it and I don't care too much what others think - you only live once. :mrgreen:
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    Kingy911 wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

rofl

Still laughing at this !!!!!!!
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211