Bother.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Altercation this morning.

Part of my commute is through a rather down on it's luck area of Bristol called Lockleaze. I go across the junction of a main road and into the residential area, it is sporadically parked up and as I enter the estate there is a 90 degree left/right combo or 'S' bend.

Anyway, a rather make up clad laydee in a Peugeot decided to overtake me as we went around the 90 degree left hander, unfortunately, she started to take the apex and squeezed me against the kerb - literally, I though I was heading for a fall. I banged the side of her car with my hand and shouted 'aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh' as I lost control from hitting the kerb - luckily I stayed up and the laydee backed off me.

All I can say is the utter ignorance and torrent of abuse I got from said make up clad laydee was unreal - never have I encountered such a 'fish wife' - and this was in front of her 5 year old son in the car. Her language and threat to punch me was quite enlightening! She denied all responsibility of her actions, probably ignorant to what she was putting me through.

She asked me to pull over, which I did at the next corner. Then she really got in my face and started shouting and swearing. I asked her to cut the language as her kid was present and that my reaction was due to the fact that I thought I was gonna die! Telling her how to parent really set her off.......

I held my composure, firmly told her what she had done and then said ' your not going to listen love, so be on your way'....to which she got back in her car and called me a 'w*nker' and shouted more sweary abuse.....

The small kid in the back of the car jumped out crying and shouted ' why are you always shouting mummy'.....I just said, 'sorry son, I think you should just get back in the car with your mum'.

Poor little mite. I felt awful.....should I have banged the side of the car or just risked hitting the ground, I doubt she would have stopped to help.

Comments

• joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I just said, 'sorry son, I think you should just get back in the car with your mum'.
    You should have said "because she's a c*nt". Hopefully then he'd be back in the car asking her either "what's a c*nt?" or "why are you a c*nt?" ;)
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    you did the right thing...many of us I'm sure would've been a bit fruity with our language back before feeling guilty afterwards cos of the presence of the kid...poor thing

it's a cliche but...some people!!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Glad you're okay, mate.

And that poor little lad... coming out with a question like that. :(
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • You did what you had to do to avoid being hurt. Her temper's her problem, I just feel sorry for the kid.

I've seen that in my neighbourhood as well: Mums totally going off on one because someone's made a comment about the way they're treating their kid. The irony, of course, is that by doing so they're totally proving the other person's point i.e., what kind of example are you setting to your child if the only response you ever show to criticism is to lose it and start shouting and swearing. :(
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    JoeNobody wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I just said, 'sorry son, I think you should just get back in the car with your mum'.
    You should have said "because she's a c*nt". Hopefully then he'd be back in the car asking her either "what's a c*nt?" or "why are you a c*nt?" ;)
    Genius :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    We have some of them around our way! Young mothers that constantly scream at their children and swear and curse and then wonder why when their kids grow up they are constantly making trouble.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Nightmare, Glad you stayed up, you really do have to wonder about some people sometimes, the ones who do wrong tend to always the ones that mouth off at afterwards, as if almost squishing wasn't enough.

I ride that same bit everyday too and fortunately have not had that happen to me, but the people who are parked half on the road/pavement do like to just pull onto the road without looking!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Maybe "your mum just tried to kill me, but don't worry it's not your fault"
  • gtvlusso
    I must admit that I would be upset if someone banged on the side of my car while my daughter was in there. But then, I would not try and overtake anyone on a blind bend or put myself in a position where I could force that kind of behaviour.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I'd say you were very restrained. I think my kids may have learnt some new words from the EPO's driving.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Quite restrained on your part. She sounds like the norm for Lockleaze and would have come off 2nd best as you're not a small chap should it have gone mental.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    Don't think you did anything unreasonable, but suggestions on child-rearing never go down well, especially with shouty-angry people. In defence of Lockleaze, it wasn't always thus, but sadly it did seem to be taking a bit of a dive last time I was there.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    All these replies and no suggestion of a helmet cam? What will the visiting cake stoppers/bottom-bracketers think?

(+1 to awfulness of Lockleaze; well done for not kicking-off.)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Thinking about the children is secondary when your life is at stake!
  • gtvlusso
    DrLex wrote:
    All these replies and no suggestion of a helmet cam? What will the visiting cake stoppers/bottom-bracketers think?

(+1 to awfulness of Lockleaze; well done for not kicking-off.)

I think most people know my views on cameras......:-)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Did you get her number ?
  • gtvlusso
    fossyant wrote:
    Did you get her number ?

She was rough as a badgers ar$e! So, no!!!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    D-Lockleaze sound like Reptile Scales (nr. Edinburgh). Only here it would be an unemployed toothless 5 foot tall ned in a 1984 BMW. His missus and 8 children would be in the boot. His mate would be in the passenger seat.

Bristol sounds quite nice actually.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    D-Lockleaze sound like Reptile Scales (nr. Edinburgh). Only here it would be an unemployed toothless 5 foot tall ned in a 1984 BMW. His missus and 8 children would be in the boot. His mate would be in the passenger seat.

Bristol sounds quite nice actually.
    Reptile Scales. :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Had similar a week ago, bloke and his son in a Mondeo.

Sterilise the buggers at birth make them apply to breed.

Seriously, if you got her VRM report it as a hit and run since, she refused to give you insurance details, made threats etc...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    I actually had a similar experience today, without the actual verbals. Some a***hole in a truck decided to overtake me on a corner when everyone could see there was a car coming the other way & very limited room. The gap got narrower & narrower as he passed until I was convinced I was going to be hit, but the back cleared my by inches with me roaring at the idiot. I thought I had a chance of catching him at the next junction but he got through before me. 1st incident I've really had commuting & made me realise what sitting ducks we can be & how little comeback you have. On reflection probably glad I didnt catch him cause what good would it have done & it could have gone very badly given he was obviously an aggressive idiot.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    I've been reading these threads for some years now on this forum and the C+ previously. I have to say that in the Glos area I've only had a handful of similar incidents over the years. When I shout/bang the window etc, I expect the situ to go downhill as these w@nkers cannot see fault with themselves or anything they have done. It's always someone else's fault. There is no way I will back down to them - not even the 6' 13" bouncer that wanted to rip my head off for trying to 'door' me with his BMW (I'm 5' 8"). I simply told him that he was welcome to try, but that I would defend myself by any method available to me.... He stopped, laughed & repeated that he would tear me to pieces. I repeated that he was welcome to try. He got back into his car and told me (mucho swearing) he would drive over me. I invited him to discuss further in my office - the local nick. He followed me to the nick - spoke to the desk Sgt and made a complaint against me.
    I was duly investigated, by the rubber heel squad (FFS), and after interview was offered 'words of advice' about MY behaviour. I then told the investigator to politely poke his words as I had done nothing wrong, no swearing etc and that had I been anything other than a Police Officer I would have been treated differently, & why was this bloke (pre-cons for assault etc) being believed and not my word - also that if this situ happened again I will do the same.
    Where my personal safety is concerned, I'm all about protecting me.