Can I use a shimano cassette with campag shifters & mechs?

el_presidente
el_presidente Posts: 1,963
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
or is that just crazy talk??
<a>road</a>

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,823
    You can - I use Campag (Record 10) shifters with Shimano cassette and mech and a Jtek Shiftmate.
    http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm
    These look quite expensive now - I think I paid under £20 a few years ago.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yes, but you cannot mix mechs/shifters: I don't remember the full detail, but SRAM, Shimano and Campag use differing pull ratios - however, 2 of the manufactureres use the same pull ratio and can be mixed.....but, I don't remember which to what!
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,823
    Also certain combos might work without extra gizmos

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Yes, but you cannot mix mechs/shifters: I don't remember the full detail, but SRAM, Shimano and Campag use differing pull ratios - however, 2 of the manufactureres use the same pull ratio and can be mixed.....but, I don't remember which to what!

Really?

Oh no. That scuppers my plan to replace the broken sram shifters on the boardman with cheap campy ones :-(
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • gtvlusso
    iclestu wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Really?

Oh no. That scuppers my plan to replace the broken sram shifters on the boardman with cheap campy ones :-(

Google it dude - I think the pull ratio between SRAM and Shimano is different, However, I think you can use Campy shifters on Shimano Mechs......

SRAM use 2:1
    Campy and Shimano: 1:1

There is something different, but you can buy extra bits to alter the pull ratios - google for it and double check!!!!!
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Doesn't help the situation here- but the GFs bike came second hand with campy 9 speed shifters and mechs and a shimano 6500 cassette, and the shifting is absolutely perfect.

who'dathunkit
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    andyrr wrote:
    You can - I use Campag (Record 10) shifters with Shimano cassette and mech and a Jtek Shiftmate.
    http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm
    These look quite expensive now - I think I paid under £20 a few years ago.

+1 for this - i got my jtek thing at xmas for 33 squid I think - works a treat. If you're goign down that route check teh website as there are different shiftmates for different campag/shimano combinations.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    don-t-cross-the-streams-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-review-snorg-tees-snorg-tees.gif
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    +1 Jtek, I have been using it for about 12 years with Campag shifters and shimano rear mech and cassette, works fine with no problems.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    gtvlusso wrote:

Lies damn lies you know full well that SRAMpagnolo works just fine as does Shimagnolo
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    This is like putting Mercedes alloys on a BMW. Its plain wrong.

But having a mixture of all 3 would be interesting.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

If you look at the parts under the bonnet of quite a few German cars they're the same
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    itboffin wrote:

If you look at the parts under the bonnet of quite a few German cars they're the same as Japanese cars
    Oh, I agree. But you can't hide it on a bike.

(see what I did there?)
  • gtvlusso
    itboffin wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Lies damn lies you know full well that SRAMpagnolo works just fine as does Shimagnolo

Ah - so it is ShimSRAM that does not work?