La Grand Boucle!

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Catching the Ferry to France this evening, then a 10 hour drive to the Pyrenees. Excited is not the word!

We're going to a stage start so I'll see how many photos I can get, and I'm going to have a crack at the Tourmalet. Wish me luck! :)

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Have great time Rapper.Looking forward to seeing the photos.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    very jealous! hoping to do something similar next year - have a good yin! :D
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Mate of mine's down their already, says the summit for Sunday's stage is packed, had to park 14km from the top & is now hiking up, with tent & essential supplies!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    You lucky b4stard. You lucky, lucky b4stard!

I would love to go to the tour and next year i think we will, this year i have to write a dissertation. I hope you've packed your suitcase of courage for the Tourmalet. Chapeau!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    MrTapir wrote:
    I hope you've packed your suitcase of courage for the Tourmalet. Chapeau!
    I've always felt that people need to pack their suitcases of courage more carefully - you know, you should put the essential items on top so you don't have to reach so deep into it ;-)
  • MrTapir
    bompington wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    I've always felt that people need to pack their suitcases of courage more carefully - you know, you should put the essential items on top so you don't have to reach so deep into it ;-)

Or you could even have a smaller receptacle of courage that would be more appropriate for light travel. :D
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    MrTapir wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Or you could even have a smaller receptacle of courage that would be more appropriate for light travel. :D

Yeah. Pack a bum-bag of guts.

Strava is not Zen.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Very jealous. Enjoy!
  • TMR
    Well we're here. Jesus, that was a long drive! 12 hours with 3 stops (our boys were amazing 3 months and 1.5 years and hardly any moaning at all!), my bottom feels OK though thankfully.

The place we're staying is near one of the categorised climbs for tomorrow's stage, so we're going to go and watch in the afternoon. Weather 25C, but horrendous rain most of the way down.

Camera to hand, but I'm no David Bailey. Will post what I can.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Have a great time!

Its a brilliant experience and good luck with the Tourmalet!
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Yellow Peril
    Well we're here. Jesus, that was a long drive! 12 hours with 3 stops (our boys were amazing 3 months and 1.5 years and hardly any moaning at all!), my bottom feels OK though thankfully.

The place we're staying is near one of the categorised climbs for tomorrow's stage, so we're going to go and watch in the afternoon. Weather 25C, but horrendous rain most of the way down.

Camera to hand, but I'm no David Bailey. Will post what I can.

Great, full run down and as many pics as possible please. I hope you're going to get out earluy and "smash it up and down" a mountain!
    @JaunePeril

• TMR
    Great, full run down and as many pics as possible please. I hope you're going to get out earluy and "smash it up and down" a mountain!

The route to the Col is right outside the door! ;)

Only 1000M (LOL - Only, like I'm an accomplished climber or something), I think it's a Cat 3.
  • Yellow Peril

The route to the Col is right outside the door! ;)

Only 1000M (LOL - Only, like I'm an accomplished climber or something), I think it's a Cat 3.

If you pass a very small guy wearing a rainbow striped shirt going up the climb, take it easy on him. He's having a bit of a bad time on hills in France at the moment!
    @JaunePeril

• TMR
    If you pass a very small guy wearing a rainbow striped shirt going up the climb, take it easy on him. He's having a bit of a bad time on hills in France at the moment!

LMAO :)

I'll give him a tow while wearing my High Wycombe club kit :)
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Can we make this thread one for Le Tour holiday photos then? :)

Stage11_Wiggins.jpg
    Stage11_Evans2.jpg
  • Yellow Peril
    I think that's a good idea. It will allow me to holiday vicariously through those lucky enough to go and watch the Tour :)
    @JaunePeril

• TMR
    Can we make this thread one for Le Tour holiday photos then? :)

Nice idea :)
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Welcome to the Pyrenees MR. We have been here for a week an are catching the stage finish in Foix tomorrow. Bar with tv and kid friendly staff already sorted. Rode up the Mur today....from the Col du Port side so only 3.5 k but the worst3.5 k....kicks off at 18% for first k then settles down to a mere 10%, before steaming descent into Foix.....about 25 k the big boys will be ripping it up. Hauling my 16 stone lard a£&e up it was not pleasant....but great to see so many Brits out here.
  • TMR
    MrT wrote:
    Welcome to the Pyrenees MR. We have been here for a week an are catching the stage finish in Foix tomorrow. Bar with tv and kid friendly staff already sorted. Rode up the Mur today....from the Col du Port side so only 3.5 k but the worst3.5 k....kicks off at 18% for first k then settles down to a mere 10%, before steaming descent into Foix.....about 25 k the big boys will be ripping it up. Hauling my 16 stone lard a£&e up it was not pleasant....but great to see so many Brits out here.

We're staying just to the left of the Mur, at a place called La Bastide de Serou. I am thinking about having a crack at the Mur first thing tomorrow morning. Have to be honest though, the 18% section has been concerned - was just looking at it in my TdF Guide ;)
  • MrT
    Today was my second effort. First one on Wednesday was not good, blew after 750 metres and bloody difficult to get going again.....wife said I looked like death at the top even kids looked worried. Trade off was great ride into Foix though it was wet. Today felt much better...but weather still poor....also paint on the roads.....not tour names but the bloody locals saying no to bears ( ours non) made for a spot of wheel spinning on several occasions. We are staying in Les Cabannes at the foot of Beille. Go for it MR....though it might be better to avoid tomorrow....there will be plenty giving it a go.....weaving all over the place and probably being half pushed by the crazy Basques. On the other hand go for it and let me know what you thought. Either way I' m excited in only the way the Tour can get you excited.
  • TMR
    Now I know you're here, we should go for a ride one day if you fancy it?
  • MrT
    Sounds good.....family are happy for me to have some time out....I'll keep you posted on here. Did I see you've got kids...maybe a meet up...I've got 3 girls 10 and under. Eldest did the hardest 3 KS up col du port then had enough in the rain. Route de Corniche is great.
  • TMR
    All sounds good to me. Our boys are very young - 3 months and 21 months. Where will you be watching the race today? Will send you my mobile number via PM - feel free to send a text or give me a call.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Stage11_Wiggins.jpg
    Who's the guy in yellow out of the saddle? I thought Wiggins was leading but I don't think I've ever seen a pic of him standing before!
  • MrTapir
    bompington wrote:
    Stage11_Wiggins.jpg
    Who's the guy in yellow out of the saddle? I thought Wiggins was leading but I don't think I've ever seen a pic of him standing before!

Ive seen it a few times during the stages actually, and each time i cheer. A rare vintage.

These photos are very good by the way, the Evans one particularly with the shadows on his face
  • TMR
    This evening I climbed my first Col, the Cat 1 Col de Peguere from Nescus. It was part of yesterday's stage, so having watched the Pros come past I thought I'd have a go. Apologies for the poor photograph, the sun was shining in my face (and I didn't have much to work with!). Some parts were pretty steep, but once I was in a rhythm it wasn't too bad. It took me 1 hr 20 mins. I've never climbed longer than 15 mins before, so I'm really pleased with how it went. The descent was quite hairy (and I love descending); lots of loose stones on the road.

The Tourmalet is on the cards for tomorrow morning, so wish me luck! :wink:

2.jpg
  • Yellow Peril
    Good effort, one to look back on in years to come. best of luck with the Tourmalet and look out for the pros having a little rest day ridey pidey around and about.
    @JaunePeril

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah, good luck with the Tourmalet :).

See if you can beat 90 mins for it.
  • TMR

90 mins straight without stopping until the top?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

90 mins straight without stopping until the top?

Yup.

Was my time.

Got smashed by some guys over on the commuter side a month or so ago.

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12860189&p=17683113&hilit=tourmalet#p17683113