New to riding and looking for some help.

bigtommy
bigtommy Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
First post in the forum :)

Looking to take up cycling to try and get myself into work and save on train fares.

Ive been doing a little research on entry level type bike suited to cycle track riding and have arrived at the following two options

Giant Escape 2 (2012)

Revolution Cross 2012

Ive picked out what i think is a good value hybrid for the price and also a cyclocross which i think looks like good money also however i wouldnt like to shoot above this price. Would there be a big difference between the two bikes in terms of performance/speed? Looking at about 100 pounds difference. I would be riding around 15 miles per day.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You are onto the right style for a 2x7 mile commute with some cycle track surfaces.
    The major disadvantage of CX bikes are the cantilever brakes: they are troublesome to adjust correctly, not well matched to the brake levers currently in use and they lack the bite and control of modern systems. You can get CX bikes using disk brakes, which are much better.
  • bigtommy
    bigtommy Posts: 3
    Thank you.

I aporeciate the feedback. Can you advise me where i can purchase sich a bike in the same range i.e under 400?

Cheers
    Tommy
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You probably can't unless you go for a second hand one.

I think you can change the brakes to mini V brakes though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."