Dropper post advice

2»

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ^^See fanboyism again. There's no reason to avoid it because it's Crank Bros.
    No problems with the Joplin here, and if it happens to be the one that someone finds for the cheapest, then go for it.
    They all do the same job, and are all very similar, so get whatever unit you can find that suits the amount you want to pay.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Well, anti-fanboyism, and yeah I'll admit that. I've seen far too many broken or just crappy Crank Bros products for me to ever consider buying anything of theirs again (only thing I bought of theirs was a seat clamp and they couldn't even get that right...). That's why I said personally I would avoid it, doesn't mean anyone else has to.

Like I say, I'd probably go for the one that I like best and has a good warranty. Seems to be pretty key with these dropper posts, the amount that seem to break. I guess if you have money to burn though, it's a different story.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I've definitely heard horror stories about some of their parts, but also lots of good about others.
    I was led to believe that their pedals, for example, were very highly rated.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Really? I heard a lot about the plates falling off on 50/50s (saw a few people at the student champs running one sided 50/50s), snapped spindles and crap bearings in the Candy/Eggbeaters etc. No such things about Shimano pedals. I know that people who've had bad experiences tend to yell louder than those who haven't, but it has to come from somewhere right? Particularly when for example you hear a LOT of horror stories about Crank Bros pedals, and literally nothing but praise about Shimano ones...

I'm just making a point. You're free to buy what you want, but they're just one of those brands that I won't touch with a barge pole, for various reasons.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • fritzz11
    fritzz11 Posts: 40
    Just 2 put my experience in, I have a 2012 reverb on my cube and a kronolog on my zesty, I actually prefer the kronolog as the reverb has some play in it where as the krono doesn't. Both done about the same hours now, both do exactly what they are supposed to but the reverb has that little bit of play now.
    2011 Cube Fritzz http://sdrv.ms/Z8xkDa
    2012 Zesty 714 http://sdrv.ms/YgJV4u
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    fritzz11 wrote:
    Just 2 put my experience in, I have a 2012 reverb on my cube and a kronolog on my zesty, I actually prefer the kronolog as the reverb has some play in it where as the krono doesn't. Both done about the same hours now, both do exactly what they are supposed to but the reverb has that little bit of play now.

the issues alot of the mags had with kronologs with wear on the shaft puts me off it massively. I think people have to accept when buying one of these things there is a chance something will go wrong, just like any other product. You have to weigh up which you prefer and which will suit you. I like to have infinitely adjustable drop, so no DOSS, GD or command post for me, so that pretty much leaves e with the kronolog, reverb or KS. Despise CB stuff, it just breaks all the time and as for the pedals being good, well the bearings are shit and i've seen dozen of broken mechanisms on eggbeaters, where the cage has actually collapsed. I love the ease of setting up the reverb, its got the best remote, the best seatclamp and its been far, far more reliable than joplin was. So for me, going on what I like and my experience, I'd say reverb.
  • Hi all

Glad I saw this post. I am also looking into a dropper post for my EX9 & couldn't decide what one to get. I only really know the RS & also read WMB review of the Kronolog. I had a RS on the demo bike I tested & loved it. Obviously trying it out once I do not know the inherant problems that this will have in the future. After the review on the Kronolog I fancied one of these, but in this months mag then lists the complains of whats fallen off of it and now not locking in position everytime which is kind of putting me off tbh.

Without the Stealth option on my frame I sway towards the Kronolog as you don't have loads of slack cable when dropped fully, but then I never really noticed it on the RS.

Why's it so god damn difficult. ANy more input to help sway me either way peeps??

R :?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well, given the choice between another Joplin 4, or a Reverb, I'd just get whatever I could get the best deal on - even though I have a slight preference for the mechanical remote on the Joplin.

BUT, given a choice between a kronolog, a Reverb, or a Joplin, I'd avoid the kronolog.
    I really wish they'd taken some of their advancements (non-round stanchion etc), and applied it to the hydraulic system of the Joplin.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651

BUT, given a choice between a kronolog, a Reverb, or a Joplin, I'd avoid the kronolog.
    I really wish they'd taken some of their advancements (non-round stanchion etc), and applied it to the hydraulic system of the Joplin.

I think CB were trying to make a really reliable post and thinking that mechanical=reliable due to the simplicity. However. the finished product appears to be heavier than rivals and doesnt seem to have been designed with a long term viewpoint- the quill wear issue makes it a "work perfectly for a year and then throw away" product.

My 2012 reverb is still working fine but had a small amount of saddle twist from the outset
  • composite
    composite Posts: 29
    Never had problems with my Gravity Dropper. It goes up, it goes down.
    It's just a big spring so not sure what's to go wrong and none of that bleed faff.
    I don't use the remote version though which is maybe where people have had issues?
    I think its great anyway. :)
  • Never understood having a dropper without a remote. You still have to slow or stop to drop the post losing flow. Like having one testicle, sure it works but two would be better.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Never understood having a dropper without a remote. You still have to slow or stop to drop the post losing flow. Like having one testicle, sure it works but two would be better.
    I used my Joplin for several months with only the under-saddle release before I bought the remote kit.
    The remote is definitely an improvement, no doubt about it, but it was certainly usable without, and still a big benefit to riding without.
    The only downside is that it looked as though I was scratching my nuts all the time :lol:

Anyway, you can definitely use it with one hand, even on fairly rough terrain. Unless you're very wobbly on your bike, in which case it's probably the least of your problems.