Cav - Best Way Forward

alwaystoohot
alwaystoohot Posts: 252
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Excuse a simplistic question from one of the great unwashed.

Cav's not got the wins he would have liked from the tour and is about to grind up mountains gossiping with Bernie at the back. Why? His goal now has to be Olympic gold so shouldn't he be deciding what will take him to peak sprinting condition come the first day of the Olympics? Might it not be better to take Bernie to Spain or somewhere and focus on conditioning? He's not doing the TdF mountains in preparation for Box Hill is he?

Maybe I'm wrong, but not sure the remaining stages of the TdF will have him peak in tiptop condition by Paris before the warmdown for the race?
'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'

Comments

• thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Flat stages to come. Historic 4th win in a row on champs in the world champs jersey maybe?

Cav doesn't usually use his brain in these decisions and probably isn't thinking take it easy before the olympics. I think he is driven by a bit o' old fashioned passion the same reason why he wants to do the Giro every year because he lives there and battles through it when all the sprinters go home.

To be commended really, even more so if he wins on the mall, though maybe not so much if he doesn't. Good also to see him not acting a prima donna about the fact that even as world champ he is playing second fiddle for the team.

If he went home then no one would blame him but unless he is ill I would very much doubt you would see that from him.
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Ok but is that the most productive way to spend the next 10 days?
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Probably depends how successful he is at picking off a couple of wins in the flat stages to come. Assuming Wiggins is still safe in the maillot jaune by stage 19, there might be a bit more leeway in terms of support for Cav for the back end of the race

That also assumes that Team Sky hasn't torn itself apart by then too.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Team Sky wont tear themselves apart. They are too professional for that.

I am really looking forward to seeing the Yellow Jersey leading out the Sky train on the Champs Elysees to set up the World Champion for the win. That would be a brilliant finish to the Tour.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    alanp23 wrote:
    Team Sky wont tear themselves apart. They are too professional for that.

I am really looking forward to seeing the Yellow Jersey leading out the Sky train on the Champs Elysees to set up the World Champion for the win. That would be a brilliant finish to the Tour.
    ^this. Cav still has goals for this tour. To increase his number of stage wins (highly likely) and win on the Champs Elysses, also highly likely. He is the World Champion, after all.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    I think all this talk of inner turmoil at Team Sky is a myth. The thing yesterday, if it was anything at all which i suspect it wasnt, was blown out of all proportion by wives on twitter.

Cav definitely wants to stay for the Champs Elysees, he said it in an interview earlier in the race. I think he is very respectful of the traditions of the race, eg staying in the Giro to try for the points jersey, and wanting to win on the Champs Elysees.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    MrTapir wrote:
    I think all this talk of inner turmoil at Team Sky is a myth. The thing yesterday, if it was anything at all which i suspect it wasnt, was blown out of all proportion by wives on twitter.
    It's not a myth.

It's an expression of desire from the fans.

We want some sky turmoil, and a straight up fight between Froome and Wiggins. At least I do.

Won't happen, and that's a shame for the spectacle.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    But Team Sky 's job isn't to provide spectacle fo the fans is it? It's to win the race.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    But Team Sky 's job isn't to provide spectacle fo the fans is it? It's to win the race.

Ja duh.

Doesn't mean we can't dream and /or moan.
  • disgruntledgoat

Ja duh.

Doesn't mean we can't dream and /or moan.

My keyboard here at work is awful...

There is nothing in the world will stop cycling fans moaning...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    MrTapir wrote:
    It's not a myth.

We want some sky turmoil, and a straight up fight between Froome and Wiggins. At least I do.

nah i dont think its a shame,
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    MrTapir wrote:
    It's not a myth.

But that doesn't happen this year. This year Wiggins wins and pledges to support Froome next year and then attacks him repeatedly in the Pyrenees.
    With a slow burning plot line we get the rich narrative of grand opera, not the superficial gratification of soap opera.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    RichN95 wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    It's not a myth.

But that doesn't happen this year. This year Wiggins wins and pledges to support Froome next year and then attacks him repeatedly in the Pyrenees.
    With a slow burning plot line we get the rich narrative of grand opera, not the superficial gratification of soap opera.

You've been reading Slaying the Badger haven't you?

@gietvangent