Cycling stereotype

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
I've been noticing a new sterotype around London recently. I suspect he's existed elsewhere for a while, but he's now creeping into the urban environment:

Slim male in his 30s
A minimum of 3 days beard growth
A cycling cap worn beneath helmet at all times
Oakley jawbones - preferably white
Kit on the more expensive side - Italian or Rapha
Bike must be carbon, but can be entry level
A look of snearing contempt for any other rider who does not fit into the steretype
Not particularly fast, but always rides in a way that says, 'Yeah, I'm just on a recovery ride today.'

Anyone else spotted him around?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Certainly not a stereotype I fit into. I'm male and not particularly fast, that's about it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've been noticing a new sterotype around London recently. I suspect he's existed elsewhere for a while, but he's now creeping into the urban environment:

Slim male in his 30s
    A look of snearing contempt for any other rider who does not fit into the steretype
    Not particularly fast, but always rides in a way that says, 'Yeah, I'm just on a recovery ride today.'

In the mirror most mornings.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Cycling: it's the new Golf.
    Thought of a label for this tribe? Moda-cyclists?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

Slim male in his 30s

Moving back to SE London in 6 weeks, see you on the commute.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I spotted one track standing on his fixie this morning on Waterloo Bridge/Strand traffic lights.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Slim male in his 30s

That's me, that is!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Jonny_Trousers wrote:

Slim male in his 30s

This sounds just like to kind of people I used to see a few years ago but it was a slim male in his 20s and the kit was a bit cheaper. I wonder where they all went?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    God - not up here: Rapha, Jawbones, cap.... PMSL

Actually, now I think about it, there's really only 3 types I see "regularly"

- Reasonably "Hardcore" cyclist - can see they take their cycling seriously and interested in performance
    - Beardy (incl ladies) - probably equally serious but not interested in performance
    - Nodder on MTB - only seen on sunny days (ie very rarely)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068

Slim male in his 30s

Slim... oh yes :) Check
    30s.. just turned. Check
    Bit of stubble .. check.
    Cycling Cap .. check.. look outside at the biblical floods
    White Jawbones... check, got them free from Oakley :)
    Kit .. italian / rapha no, but spend money for good fitting stuff seen as though I spend a lot of time in it
    Carbon.. commute on carbon, race on Alu. So much stiffer than all that bendy stuff from the east
    Snearing contempt.. no not really.. I was slow onc e.. everyone was when they first started, they just dont like to admit it
    Not particularly fast.... Oh, I seem to fall outside this sterotype

Dont worry though, I was thinking of quitting and taking up table tennis so I wont be 'polluting' your sport for much longer.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sneering contempt and recovery ride is bollocks, if I'm slow I'm slow.
    We're just MAMILs in training.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Nope not around here either .. usually* one of the following (in order of likelihood):

- somebody very slow on a MTB. More often than not wearing wellies. Maybe got their earphones in (leds to much hilarity when I sneak up on them and say hi)
    - another commuter. Usually quick - you kinda have to be around here as the commute distances tend to be a bit longer than more urban areas. Unfortunately tend to be going in completely the wrong direction to me :( In a year of commuting only once had an opportunity to draft. Or, and I've only just realised this, in 4700 miles of commuting in the last year or so I get to draft for approx 1/2 of a bl@@dy mile.
    - groups of serious roadies in all the kit (team colours etc). Hardly any kind of acknowledgement that I exist. Invariably sunny when these guys are out and about.
    - long distance cyclists. They appear to be enjoying the ride but also heading off in completely the wrong direction and are sometimes even in the wrong county given their start and ultimate destinations!

* I say usually, I can go a few hundred miles and not see another cyclist .. I see more mice, foxes and birds of prey than other cyclists.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    Slim male in his 30s - Sort of slim, not quite 30 yet.
    A minimum of 3 days beard growth - Yep, more like 3 weeks worth.
    A cycling cap worn beneath helmet at all times - Nope, would get me too sweaty.
    Oakley jawbones - preferably white - Choakleys, black.
    Kit on the more expensive side - Italian or Rapha - Ebay bargains, sometimes Italian, no rapha yet.
    Bike must be carbon, but can be entry level - Nope, alu. People don't tend to make carbon bikes in my size...
    A look of snearing contempt for any other rider who does not fit into the steretype - Nope, contempt reserved for those who push to the front of ASLs after I've overtaken 'em or RLJ.
    Not particularly fast, but always rides in a way that says, 'Yeah, I'm just on a recovery ride today.' - I ride as fast as I possibly (safely) can, pretty much all the time. Fast to some, slow to some.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    God - not up here: Rapha, Jawbones, cap.... PMSL

Actually, now I think about it, there's really only 3 types I see "regularly"

- Reasonably "Hardcore" cyclist - can see they take their cycling seriously and interested in performance
    - Beardy (incl ladies) - probably equally serious but not interested in performance
    - Nodder on MTB - only seen on sunny days (ie very rarely)
    Nothing to do with the thread but you're a lot further north than me and I've had a red alert from 'aurora watch' so there is a high possibility of northern lights tonight and unusually it's clear skies. Worth a look later if you're interested.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

Slim male in his 30s

Slim, male in 30s... check, check, ahem, just about...
    Beard - check
    Cap - sometimes - keeps the rain of me specs
    Jawbones - nope
    Expensive kit - nope
    Bike - commuter is alu
    I never sneer at people, I love everyone else on a bike...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I think that this is a London centric thing;

But for Brizzle there are some very slight amendments;

Slim male in his 30s - or 40's.

A minimum of 3 days beard growth - or a full on beard

A cycling cap worn beneath helmet at all times - No cycling helmet just a cap or a sun visor...

Oakley jawbones - preferably white - Pfft, not frickin' likely! Flouro, cheapo sunnies bought from the market.

Kit on the more expensive side - Italian or Rapha - Rovers shirt in north Bristol or a City shirt in south Bristol.

Bike must be carbon, but can be entry level - Bike usually rusty, with a pannier rack

A look of snearing contempt for any other rider who does not fit into the steretype - RLJ's at every opportunity, pavements are for wheelies...

Not particularly fast, but always rides in a way that says, 'Yeah, I'm just on a recovery ride today.' - Usually carrying can of 'Thatchers Gold'.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Certainly not what you get in Cambridge.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Certainly not what you get in Cambridge.

ahem... :o:lol:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • jonny_trousers
    There were several of them doing circuits of Regent's Park on Saturday only the bikes were far from entry level.

Beyond the sneering contempt (which of course does not apply to all of them), I'm not complaining. It's a good look, and let's be honest, it's not easy looking cool as a roadie.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    it's not easy looking cool as a roadie.

speak for yourself
  • jonny_trousers
    it's not easy looking cool as a roadie.

speak for yourself

Pics or it didn't happen.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    For Swindon there are also some very slight amendments;

Porky male in his 30s - or 40's.

Woolly hat or baseball cap

Oakley jawbones - preferably white - usually nicked

Kit on the more expensive side - Swindon shirt or FCUK hoodie

Bike must be carbon, but can be entry level - Bike rusty, squeaky and bouncy

A look of sneering contempt for any one - Pavements are for riding

Not particularly fast, but always rides in a way that says, 'I couldn't give a f***.' - usually on the way to meet his dealer'.[/quote]
  • jonny_trousers
    sfichele wrote:

Ha! Typical of a certain type of commuter, definitely.