Tear

engy
engy Posts: 131
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
i have a very small clean cut in my front tyre. The tear is about 5mm long and 2mm deep, it has not penertrated my tyre totally. Can it be repaired or is it a new tyre. thanks

Comments

• chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Super glue it,
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Or leave it...I've had loads of holes in my tyres don't seem to get any more of less punctures.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    if the cut hasn't penetrated the fabric carcass of the tyre then the tyre is ok - it's the carcass that gives the tyre strength, the rubber is there for grip and to protect the carcass

small cuts through the carcass are ok, but need inspecting, if the cut is all the way through the tyre the tube may slowly be forced through the cut until it ruptures, or the inner edges may be rough enough to wear and puncture the tube over time (putting a repair patch over the area can prevent this); with a larger cut in the carcass the tyre will develop a bulge, if there's any bulge that's when i ditch the tyre

if the penetrating cut is large, you can use a tyre boot to make the tyre rideable - it's piece of thin tough stuff that sits between tube and the damaged area of the tyre - personally i only use one as a temporary 'get me home' measure, but it can ok to use one long term
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • engy
    engy Posts: 131
    thanks guys