Cycling in the rain

Leftfield
Leftfield Posts: 11
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
As a new owner of a Boardman Road Team I have been enjoying the 15 mile round commute, and whilst the weather hasn't exactly been what I would class as summer, I have avoided any real soakings. However, my luck changed on my way home tonight and I was soaked to the skin. Fortunately SWMBO was at home and on seeing my condition has agreed to the purchase of a new cycling jacket.
On the cyclestore website they have an Altura night vision jacket and a Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier convert able reduced to under £40. Whilst I don't expect them to keep me totally dry, am I likely to keep some of the water at bay? Also, as a follically challenged male, is there anything I can wear with my helmut to stop the rain running down my face?

All and any advice very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    My good lady wife and I both have Night Visions. I like Altura clothing because of the quality and the fit.
    They are not the most breathable but will keep you dry at a good price.
    We are very happy with ours.

Don't know about the Pearl Izumi sorry and I don't really worry about keeping the old noggin dry as it is under a helmet.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Get yourself a cap to wear under your helmet, it will keep the worst of the rain off of the face.
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    Follow the washing instructions on the jacket. It'll help it keep it's colour!
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I got got caught in really heavy rain on Tuesday coming home from work, but I just have a very thin yellow shower jacket (£9.99 from Aldi that is really light and stuffs into a tiny sack) that kept me relatively dry. I've had Altura jackets before, but that kind of jacket is really quite heavy and bulky to store in a pannier or rack pack if you need to take it off mid-ride when the weather improves. I think several thin layers are better than a heavy jacket
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    In the summer rain isn't much of an issue - you're probably going to get soaked over most of your body, esp arms, legs, head, hands, and trying to keep to keep a part of you dry is a pointless battle. For summer rain I find an ordinary short-sleeve top is enough as it won't hold much water, I'd be sweaty anyway without the rain and it has to be said that riding in a downpour is one of those things that can make you grin like the village idiot. It's only water when all's said & done.
  • I got caught in an amazing downpour yesterday - the hailstones really hurt! So I got soaked to the skin. But the day before it rained so I put on a 'breathable' waterproof jacket and was just as wet at Clapham Junction than I would have been if I'd have been rained on.

So unless it's cold I'm all for mother nature to do her worst. I mean - no one's ever died of rain, have they?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    For me the most annoying thing is the length of time it takes to dry my shoes out. Otherwise; well, all my clothes will go into the wash anyway so I'm not bothered by a bit of rain (at least in the summer). Come winter time I have my precious Giordana jacket to keep me warm!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Get yourself a cap to wear under your helmet, it will keep the worst of the rain off of the face.
    Only if it is fairly chilly though or else you'll overheat.
  • Im Bald Ok
    Im Bald Ok Posts: 146
    I have a £20 DHB race cape that's light, compact and keeps me bone dry. If you're going to give it some effort tho, expect to be wet through sweat rather than rain.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I bought a Night Vision jacket to wear in the rain...bad idea. Where do you store the bulky object before it starts to rain and when it's stopped raining? There's no way you'll get in a jersey pocket. They're probably good for very cold days but I took mine back and bought a light and fold-away Castelli jacket. As other's have said it's only rain. What's the worst that could happen.... :D
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    I don't think you should ride in the rain, it is unhealthy and you might get your bike wet (or worse, dirty) :P
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • Duffer65
    It's alright as long as it's not carbon. We all know what happens to carbon bikes if they get wet.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Duffer65 wrote:
    It's alright as long as it's not carbon. We all know what happens to carbon bikes if they get wet.

Quite! Look what happened to this poor bloke's bike. :)

IMGP4104.jpg
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Duffer65
    LOL, as I believe the young people say.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Wear any old wp cycling jacket...you'll get wet from the inside anyway, I don't bother unless it's persistent, I just wear a base layer to keep the wind off.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    In the summer if the temperatures are above 15C I don't see the point of rain gear, it's only if it's wet AND cold that you need it. The one concession I might make if I know it's raining/about to rain is to not to wear white socks, it's a nightmare getting the dirt out of them from the road spray...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would add that if the OP wants to stay clean, then a pair of clip-on mudguards is a worthy investment, even a rear-only keeps the brown stripe off your ar$e. Rain is tolerable, filthy road-spray from your wheels less so as it's usually full of oil and grit.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Heavy duty kit that will keep the rain off you completely will have you very sweaty in summer temperatures. So no need to spend too much.

To dry shoes - bung some newspaper into them and leave somewhere warm (not hot) for a bit. Remove the paper after a bit as it will soak all the water away really well.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Only if it is fairly chilly though or else you'll overheat.

Nope. I wear a good quality cap - under my helmet - on every single ride. No overheating yet.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A cap wont make you overheat - it'll get damp if you sweat and help cool you down anyway. I often wear a Buff under my helnet winter or summer - works well in both.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I would add that if the OP wants to stay clean, then a pair of clip-on mudguards is a worthy investment, even a rear-only keeps the brown stripe off your ar$e. Rain is tolerable, filthy road-spray from your wheels less so as it's usually full of oil and grit.

Yepp, another concern for me is all the agricultural stuff that sprays up. The roads around here are full of cow muck and horse stuff and it is not at all healthy to get that sprayed all over one's water bottle prior to drinking (also makes a blinking mess of the BB/cable guides, I'm getting fed up with cleaning and lubing at the mo' :evil: )
  • Niffleman
    Niffleman Posts: 87
    I have a £10 rain jacket I bought from Aldi but I wear it mainly because it is a very bright colour. I am not too worried about getting wet from the inside or out during summer rain, but I am concerned about being missed by dopey drivers and knocked off. That is, for me, the real purpose of a summer rain jacket. I would also definitely second the earlier poster who recommended clip on mudguards.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    i have the same problem i think!!!!!!

i dont mind getting wet coming home from work but its not good turning up to work like a drowned rat...

on a pleasure road ride i wouldn't be bothered.
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • leshere
    leshere Posts: 38

So unless it's cold I'm all for mother nature to do her worst. I mean - no one's ever died of rain, have they?
    Errm! Well in actual fact...
    http://tribune.com.pk/story/29059/four- ... e-to-rain/
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    You can get water proof coats that are breathable enough to cycle hard in but which are also water proof

These are usually incredibly expensive however. For example, the Gore Oxygen IV is over £100

My commute is pretty short so I am wearing a water proof coat + water proof trousers + overshoes over my work clothes. But I only go up and down one hill, overheating isn't an issue
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Altura Night Vision jacket is great for winter commuting, when your guaranteed to wear it constantly, but no good when temperatues are above +5. Way too bulky and sweaty then to be of any practicable use.

I'v got an Altura Pocket rain jacket. It's light, packs into jersy pocket, and does a reasonable job of keeping you dry (ish). In warmer weather (like now!), I tend to wear base layer, short sleeve jersey and thin arm warmers. Gillet if it's a bit fresh. If it's raining I put the Altura Pocket jacket on over the arm warmers, as I don't like the wet plastic bag feel on my skin!

With a gillet and thin arm & leg warmers, you can pretty much cover most weather situations on a typical summers day. I also wear and carry some thin long fingered gloves and fingerless gloves. Stick my head out the office window before changing to go home, and dress accordingly. What I don't wear packs easily into the 10L rucksack I wear :)
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    I wear a breathable mavic jacket and leeg warmers. My legs etc still get a bit wet, but I dont mind cycling in the rain. Its only water
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740

This.

I actually don't wear a helmet as I'm skint and so is my wife, but I wear a Walz moisture wicking cap whenever I cycle. There are cheaper (though not that much) options, but I love mine. Dries out superbly, too.

As for riding in the wet, I'm not one to ask I don't think; I don't mind too much, and I certainly prefer it to wind!!
  • Leftfield
    Leftfield Posts: 11
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll get the pearl Izumi jacket as i can use it as a gilet during the summer months and with the sleeves on during the winter. As others have said I have now just started Riding with arm warmers in the rain, not any drier, but no wetter either and I've not melted yet!