Olympic Tax Dodging petition

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,258
    Done.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Not done.

I signed up for the forests thing, but there's something about this that gets up my nose- not sure I can articulate it any better than that though!

That's not to say I'm in favour of big business taking the pi$$ or the Olympic sponsorship arrangements though.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    If you're asking someone to sign a petition, surely it would be helpful to give them enough information so that they can make an informed decision before signing up and an explanation of what you're intending to do in their name?
  • Yea - a bit of background and some evidence will help your cause.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,589
    They get a tax deduction on the sponsorship cost and they pay tax on the income thay earn from what they sell etc in the games - seems fair enough and it's tax law so there is no dodging going on at all. Seems like a pretty pointless and misguided petition to me - unless you want them to make it fair by not paying tax on the income as well...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    They get a tax deduction on the sponsorship cost and they pay tax on the income thay earn from what they sell etc in the games - seems fair enough and it's tax law so there is no dodging going on at all. Seems like a pretty pointless and misguided petition to me - unless you want them to make it fair by not paying tax on the income as well...

Not quite

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/commenta ... indle.aspx
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,589
    The totally unbiased 'ethical consumer' :roll:

Looks like these companies are following the rules set out by HMRC:
    "The new legislation also exempts all foreign nationals working on the games in the UK from paying income tax on any earnings. Thousands will be exempt from taxation from competitors to media workers (including journalists, technicians and producers) to representatives of official Games bodies and technical officials (including judges, referees and classifiers) along with the athletes themselves."

"New tax rules ushered in as part of the winning Team GB bid include ‘a temporary exemption from UK Corporation Tax and UK Income Tax for certain non-resident companies’."
    If HMRC publishes these exemptions why shouldn't companies use them?

And the listing of companies with subsidiairies in tax havens without any evidence that these companies are being used to avoid tax on Olympic profits is just a weak attempt at stirring the sh1te. Particularly as the Games haven't started yet so seems the Ethical consumer has a crystal ball :wink:

So let's see some verifiable evidence of tax 'dodging' on Olympic profits by these companies.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]