Hayes el camino brakes broken????

stantheman206
stantheman206 Posts: 106
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there. Just had to look at the large number of videos on the net to cure some serious brake squealing!

When I have removed the wheel and pads from the caliper it's clear that the outer piston is stuck fast and it's only the inner piston that moves into the disc. Sorry to sound thick but is this right?

Most videos on YouTube talk about both pistons moving in together etc etc. also there is a slight leak of fluid around the ston that's working. Are the brakes on their way out (Yay :lol: then I could try and justify to the misses buying some new slx discs!) or are they ok? :-(.

Any help/advice is appreciated as always.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like a sticky piston.

Time for a clean and lube of the piston walls.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • How would one do that? It's a one piece body and I cant see how I would pull the piston out to clean and lube it?
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    You will need to remove the bore cap (black part on outside of caliper body with a star shaped cut-out in it?). You'll need the right tool to do so. This gives you access to remove the outer piston first. Probably a good idea before you remove that (once you do the hyraulic fluid will come out) though to pump the other piston out as afr as it will go using hydraulic pressure which makes it esier to remove. Once pistons are removed check for any wear - check seals for wear and then replace using either a little silicone lube or hydraulic fluid on piston walls and seals to enable them to slide smoothly back in. Once replaced clean everyhting up and then bleed brake as normal. :wink:
  • Sounds like a real ball ache then!

Note- I have just (the last hour) re set the caliper, cleaned the pads and checked them out on a quick run. Can you you belive i literally have just gone over the handle bars the front brake was so good (never done this before). I may just leave it until I notice reduced performance and/or the other piston seizes.