Carrera Crossfire 3 Hybrid Bike - Good purchase?

Domzino
Domzino Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I'm considering buying a Crossfire 3 from Halfords, and wanted to get a few other opinions on it. It'd cost me £390, and then I'd probably end up buying mudguards and others bits to attach to it.

The reason I want a hybrid like this is because I plan to use it for a lot of off-road cycling (nothing too extreme, but it needs to be able to survive some bumps and puddles), as well as going along country roads. I don't plan to use it for any city cycling, so I'm not overly bothered about how fast it can go on smooth surfaces.

The other question is - is it big enough? I'm looking at the 21" version (the biggest one), and I'm 6'3. I know 22" would be better, but do you think 21" would still be comfortable enough?

Thanks in advance,
Dom

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    It really isn't all that well specced, bar it being relatively light. You'd be better looking at the voodoo bantu or hoodoo from halfords or the rockrider 8.1 from decathlon if you can stretch your budget a bit. The rockrider is the most recommended bike on here.
  • Domzino
    Greer_ wrote:
    It really isn't all that well specced, bar it being relatively light. You'd be better looking at the voodoo bantu or hoodoo from halfords or the rockrider 8.1 from decathlon if you can stretch your budget a bit. The rockrider is the most recommended bike on here.

Thanks a ton for the reply, those both look like very good bikes, I especially like the look of the VooDoo Bantu; though it only goes up to 20". I'm just wondering if they're any good on roads? I know for 60%-70% of the time I'd be cycling off-road, but there are a fair few routes I take where I'm bound to the road for a large majority of them.

I know this is in the Mountain Biking section so I should expect good mountain bikes in response, I'm just curious as to whether there are any good 'middle-ground' solutions.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A light mountain bike, which will be ok on road and good off road. A hybrid will be ok on road but rubbish on anything offroad except canal paths.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Personally I'd never recommend a hybrid as I don't like them! But a light bike will always be easier to move. It depends on whether you want it more for road use or off road use. Things such as changing the tyres to semi slicks will help to no
    end on the road but will be useless on any damp trail. The crossfire is lighter than the bantu (1.5kg) , but far worse specced. The rockrider 8.1 is very suitable as its a kilo lighter than the crossfire with superior components, just a bit more expensive. It comes with a remote lockout which is helpful for the road.

The main thing said across this forum, is that its definitely worth the extra for the rockrider. There is no better specced bike that an be bought new for less.

To get an idea of sizing, you'll be far better off going into the stores and just trying them out to see what fits best.
  • Domzino
    Thanks for the replies guys, it's really good advise. My main issue with the Rockrider 8.1 is where to buy it from, I've had a look on eBay and GumTree, but nobody is selling them close enough to me.

Do you know a good place to buy them new/used? I understand that isn't what this forum post was made for, I'm just curious.
  • Greer_
    Decathlon? Its the only place you can get them new.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New only available from Decathlon.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Domzino
    I see, thanks. I'll wait until they're in stock near me and get one.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    height has nothing to do with frame size, your inside leg and reach are more importnat
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    MTB's are fine on roads, the thing to do is pump the tyres up for less rolling resistance and let them down a bit for off road stuff for more grip.

I pump the tyres up to 55psi for road and let them down to 35psi for trails. It also depends on tyres as well, I changed to Panaracer XC Fire Pro's which offer low rolling resistance on road and plenty of grip on the trail.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Domzino
    ElliesDad wrote:
    MTB's are fine on roads, the thing to do is pump the tyres up for less rolling resistance and let them down a bit for off road stuff for more grip.

That's a really good idea, I'll keep that in mind; I've decided to get the Rockrider along with a pump and other bits, so that should work nicely. Thanks.