Garmin 705 - Routing query?

nochekmate
nochekmate Posts: 3,460
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Excuse my ignorance but had a 705 for some time but usually just for logging ride data/strava etc but had a problem with the following today:

Uploaded a GPX route today to my Garmin 705 and also to the 705 that I have just purchased for my son's forthcoming LEJOG ride. Went out on a 50 miler today and whilst my Garmin showed the necessary turns and indicated which road to turn into etc. my son's 705 merely indicated 'Turn North' etc.

I appear to be using CN Europe NT Maps but on my son's 705 there were no maps showing (although when he tries to 'Find Places' I think that he has European cities loaded)

Was the difference in Garmin commands due to the possible mapping differences or is there simply a setting that one can change to show road names rather than simply compass directions for turns? Have checked manual but cannot come across anything.

Also, is it possible for him to simply copy my Europe maps onto his SD card?

Ideas appreciated.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    your son's has just the 'base map' which is a very crude set of location data

whereas the city navigator europe map on yours has detailed coverage, i've used it in several countries and find it excellent, it even has postcode navigation (at least for uk)

the sdcard maps are locked to the card, if you copy the files to another card they won't work

you can buy maps either on sdcard, or on cd which is more flexible, there are also open-source maps (free) but fiddlier to use than just putting an sdcard in the 705 and quality can sometimes be iffy
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Thank you for the explanation - my son has a separate card for European Cities so we'll see what happens with that one!