Durable overshoes

the_cyclist_of_catan
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm after some (more) overshoes.

Warmth, waterproofing et cetera are all completely irrelevant (although I don't want anything *too* warm, just in case summer accidentally starts); I just want to keep my shoes clean.

I'm after something hardwearing. I bought a pair of BBB lycra overshoes - they lasted about a month before being fit for the bin. Maybe it's just me, but I do like to put my feet down when stopping at junctions, and walking around at a cafe stop, so thin lycra overshoes were just geting cut to ribbons.

Any suggestions - or should I ditch the whole idea and get used to cleaning my shoes after every ride again?
They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.

Comments

• Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    I'm after some (more) overshoes.

Warmth, waterproofing et cetera are all completely irrelevant (although I don't want anything *too* warm, just in case summer accidentally starts); I just want to keep my shoes clean.

I'm after something hardwearing. I bought a pair of BBB lycra overshoes - they lasted about a month before being fit for the bin. Maybe it's just me, but I do like to put my feet down when stopping at junctions, and walking around at a cafe stop, so thin lycra overshoes were just geting cut to ribbons.

Any suggestions - or should I ditch the whole idea and get used to cleaning my shoes after every ride again?

I got a set of these http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/oversho ... A_WHT.html and raced in them tonight, kept my shoes clean and suprisingly dry! They are a really tight fit so unless your cleats or heel pads are majorly thin they should stay off the ground completely. I got them in black so they don't show the dirt either :wink:
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Prendas oversocks:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... =17&ID=448

Check the multisaver deals Prendas offer too. Their kit is generally spot on and very good value, IME.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • I burn through Prendas overstocks at a pretty alarming rate. Currently using some cheap DHB shoe covers from Wiggle, and they've stood up to 4 weeks of stop-start commuting better than expected. Also got some BBB Arctic Duty overshoes for *next* winter; they look like they ought to last even better than the BBB Hardwear overshoes that have seen me through the last two.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • "durable' & 'overshoes'

Don't exist.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    edited April 2015
    Planet X neoprene. Currently £7.99. Velcro attachment so no zips to break. My wife and I both use them. They have fairly open soles and last for years. And at that price, it's no hardship to replace. They are not that thick so are suitable for spring, autumn and summer.

Edit: sorry I meant spring, autumn and winter. I wouldn't wear any overshoes in summer.
  • I'd agree with the above, zips just break on overshoes
  • PLuKE
    PLuKE Posts: 181
    Now summer is about to start? I bought some Velotoze short overshoes, there a rubber style and keep shoes clean. I mainly use them for an aero benefit, as there in fluro green there good for being seen too.

There £13 delivered from Sigmasport
    Luke
    2013 Merida Ride 93 Carbon
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My BBB ones have lasted ages - I have both the Tarmac thin ones and the neoprene version. Generally on overshoes threads BBB get good recommendations. The crappiest ones I've had are Endura - zip pulls made of cheese and you're lucky to get a couple of weeks out of them. To some extent, they're all a disposable product though - it's just a question of how many miles you get from your expenditure - ie value.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Planet X neoprene. Currently £7.99. Velcro attachment so no zips to break. My wife and I both use them. They have fairly open soles and last for years. And at that price, it's no hardship to replace. They are not that thick so are suitable for spring, autumn and summer.

Edit: sorry I meant spring, autumn and winter. I wouldn't wear any overshoes in summer.

I have some of these too and found them great for winter and Spring.
    Main aim for me though is warm feet, couldn't give a toss if my shoes got dirty.
    There probably are some better overshoes about, but these cant be beat for value