What Bike FS or HT £1500ish ?

tc3nitro
tc3nitro Posts: 82
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Right I have got about £1500 to spend on bike.
Willing to consider a hardtail although I think I'd really like a full susser this time.

The bike will be used for a weekly (night) ride (15 miles) over a mixture of cycle track, bridleway and a small section of road. But I'd also like to spend some time at various trail centres in england and Scotland. I have riden the red route at Dalby on my boardman hardtail and would like to try sections of the black.

I'm a big (18 stone) lad but I'm looking to loose 5 stones so something that will go with my weight would be great.

The few things I have had a browse at are : Focus Super Bud 3.0, Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 And YT Industries Wicked 150.

If anyone has any views on the above bikes or can suggest something else that would be great !

Thanks in advance

Mark

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    2 of my mates ride Nerves - one the XC and one the burlier AM.....a couple of little out of the box niggles aside, they're both happy. Seem to represent decent value at that pricepoint. The AM is certainly burly enough to take an 18 stoner.....
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Mccraque wrote:
    2 of my mates ride Nerves - one the XC and one the burlier AM.....a couple of little out of the box niggles aside, they're both happy. Seem to represent decent value at that pricepoint. The AM is certainly burly enough to take an 18 stoner.....
    feel free to find something thats better value
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • tc3nitro
    They do look like stupidly good value, but I have read about issues with canyon uk customer service and this put me off a little.
    Thanks for the replies guys.
  • chez_m356
    tc3nitro wrote:
    They do look like stupidly good value, but I have read about issues with canyon uk customer service and this put me off a little.
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    you can get issues with every brand regardless of where they are from or how they are sold
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • woodenman
    woodenman Posts: 60
    Bishbosh i been looking at a trance myself , want to spend between a £1000-£1500 . Looking at those links which would you buy? . The trance x4 got bike of year , or spend a bit more for fox kit etc on the x3 or go the full mashings for the x2 at a stretch and save? , are the x3 and x2 really worth that extra £300=600 quid to an average rider like myself :D
  • rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    I have a 2011 Giant Trance X3 and Ive got to say it is amazing. Far better than my previous bikes, including a Kona Hei Hei 100.
    There isnt a single negative thing I can say about it.
  • chez_m356
    woodenman wrote:
    Bishbosh i been looking at a trance myself , want to spend between a £1000-£1500 . Looking at those links which would you buy? . The trance x4 got bike of year , or spend a bit more for fox kit etc on the x3 or go the full mashings for the x2 at a stretch and save? , are the x3 and x2 really worth that extra £300=600 quid to an average rider like myself :D
    yes
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My Nerve AM7.0 arrived this week and I've built it. I can't wait to get out on it (other than on the back of my street).
  • tc3nitro
    Trances seem to get ave reviews from people on here. Think I'll take a trip down to my local Giant stockist and take a look.

Thanks for all the help

Mark
  • tc3nitro
    Been offered a Giant trance X2 at a good price from my very local bike shop. Anything wrong with these ?
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    tc3nitro wrote:
    Been offered a Giant trance X2 at a good price from my very local bike shop. Anything wrong with these ?

Read up a few posts....
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You could build up a hardtail that weighs 22lbs for that cash, with 120mm forks.
  • chez_m356
    supersonic wrote:
    You could build up a hardtail that weighs 22lbs for that cash, with 120mm forks.
    except a light weight bike might not be the best idea for a bloke who weighs 18 stone
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • chez_m356
    supersonic wrote:
    A 456 would be fine.
    i was thinking more along the lines of light weight wheels than the frame tbh, but obviously that depends on intended use