Torn between Nukeproof Mega and Titus El Guapo

Tactica
Tactica Posts: 70
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
That's it. Two great framesets to be torn between. I'm looking for a durable frame + rear shock combination for all mountain riding and I have 150 mm RS Revelations to donate to the front.

The problem is, that I'd be rather take the Nukeproof, but as I'm running Mavic Crosstrail 2012 wheelset which don't have a thruaxle rear hub, meaning I'd have to invest into a new real wheel and a new bottom bracket since I'm using threaded bb cups now.

Titus El Guapo on the other hand would come with Cane Creek Double Barrel from On-One.co.uk (Nukeproof has RS Monarch 3) which is believe is a better rear shock. El Guapo has horrible cable routing though.

They both cost about 1000 euros.

Thoughts?

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    I would sell the wheels and bits, and get the nukeproof

all bikes with that sort of travel should or do have a thru axle

and if the cable routing looks like a nightmare it probably will be all manner of trouble

but they both look like nice bikes, maybe flip a coin?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would sell the parts you have got and buy the Nukeproof, CRC have them reduced at the moment.
    Lyriks would be better than Revelations on the Mega, it's designed for a 160mm fork.
  • Tactica
    I would sell the parts you have got and buy the Nukeproof, CRC have them reduced at the moment.
    Lyriks would be better than Revelations on the Mega, it's designed for a 160mm fork.

Nukeproof says on their site, that Mega should work with 150 mm with external cup headset though. Wouldn't want to buy a new frame, wheels and a new fork...
  • rockmonkeysc
    It might work ok with Revs but it would be much nicer with Lyriks. Mega is a hard hitting frame, if your riding hard enough to want a 160mm travel bike then you will want 35mm fork stanchions to keep the front end nice and stiff.
    If your not riding that hard then a lighter, shorter travel frame might be better.
  • Tactica
    It might work ok with Revs but it would be much nicer with Lyriks. Mega is a hard hitting frame, if your riding hard enough to want a 160mm travel bike then you will want 35mm fork stanchions to keep the front end nice and stiff.
    If your not riding that hard then a lighter, shorter travel frame might be better.
    You might be right about the 160 mm forks being better, no doubt about that. And also the Nukeproof is too heavyduty for my riding, but I have been searching for a frame for a long time and ended up with these two. Suggestions would be welcome fo sure, but I like my 150 mm revs and I'm on a budget so a great frame for those forks is on my list.

Oh, and I noticed the Titus has the wrong seatpost diameter, so I couldn't even use my 31.6 mm Reverb on it. Bah.
  • conkers
    conkers Posts: 10
    The NP Mega has swopout dropouts and you can get the QR dropouts for about £20.

Although taking into account the chainstay or seatstay (can't remember which) snapping issue the early megas had it may not be a good long term option.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The snapping issue was on the 2011 bikes & Nukeproof replaced the rear triangle with a stronger one. The 2012 bikes haven't had the problem.
    For a 150mm bike I would go for either a Giant Reign or Specialized Pitch, Maybe a Tomac Snyper if the budget would stretch that far.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Tactica wrote:
    Oh, and I noticed the Titus has the wrong seatpost diameter, so I couldn't even use my 31.6 mm Reverb on it. Bah.

Of the two I'd go for the El Guapo. As for the seatpost... can always sell/swap that?

Other frames?
    Heckler
    5 Spot
  • Tactica
    conkers wrote:
    The NP Mega has swopout dropouts and you can get the QR dropouts for about £20.

You just saved my day! Didn't even concider swappable dropouts on the frame. That'll solve the problem and I can invest into a new wheelset in the future.

Could you thrown in a link for the dropouts, since I'm only able to find such conversions for Snap frame...
  • rockmonkeysc
    Fit some offset bushes or a adjustable headset & you should be able to correct the geometry for the shorter forks.
  • Tactica
    Other frames?
    Heckler
    5 Spot

I cannot find a dealer in europe for SC frames, Heckler does look like the frame for the job for sure!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Commencal Meta AM ?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Tactica
    Commencal Meta AM ?
    Looked at it, as well as the Commencal SX, but both of them share the rear axle issue and are on the heavy side like the Nukeproof. More Expensive aswell. I really would like to get bolt thru axle at the rear, but it seems I'd have to expand my budget alot.

Heckler is more expensive, but I wouldn't have to upgrade any parts to donate, so that would be ok. Lighter XC/AM frame would fit my riding style better aswell. Nukeproof and Commencals would need a whole new rear wheel which would be 300 euros alone and they are more enduro-strenght than AM imo.
  • conkers
    conkers Posts: 10
    Sorry Tactica I've dropped a clanger, the Mega doesn't have swopouts! I did read somewhere that it was going to be specced with them but seeing one in the flesh today they only have a replaceable hanger.

Sorry for the misleading info :oops:
  • Tactica wrote:
    Other frames?
    Heckler
    5 Spot

I cannot find a dealer in europe for SC frames, Heckler does look like the frame for the job for sure!
    http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/list/full-sus ... 0/313/1/0/
  • Tactica
    I've been able to make my life even worse by adding few new options.

Nukeproof Mega
    Pros: Thru axle rear, iscg tabs, proven geo for all around riding, cheap, correct seat tube diameter for my Reverb
    Cons: Would be better with 160 mm forks, need new rear wheel, need external head set cup for my 150 mm RS Revs, heavy

Titus El Guapo
    Pros: Better CCDB rear shock, QR rear axle, no need to buy new rear wheel, iscg tabs, sexy looking
    Cons: Wrong seat tube diameter, need a new Reverb, horrible cable routing, heavy

Santa Cruz Heckler
    Pros: correct geo for 150 mm revs, proven geo for all around riding, correct seat tube diameter for my Reverb, Thru axle rear
    Cons: No iscg tabs, expensive, hard to find a retailer, heavy

Giant Reign
    Pros: Looks great, good geo, thru axle rear
    Cons: No iscg tabs (X-model has them) No idea where to buy in Europe

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Evo
    Pros: Good geo, iscg tabs, thru axle rear
    Cons: No idea where to buy in Europe
  • Tactica
    Tactica wrote:
    Other frames?
    Heckler
    5 Spot

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/list/full-sus ... 0/313/1/0/

Santa Cruz frame cannot be shipped outside UK. Thanks though.
  • Tactica wrote:
    El Guapo has horrible cable routing though.

Got no issues at all with the cable routing on my new El Guapo?
    Heavy? its about the lightest 6inch frame out there?

The older pre 2011 one's had odd cable holders on the headtube, and the pics on the titus site show the old frame.
    Have a look at On-one for the new pics,

I just came from a Giant Reign which did have horrible cable routing, the rear ones dragged on the rear Shox stachion marking it.
    AM Bike: 2012 Titus EL Guapo XC Bike: Merlin Malt 4 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Pros: correct geo for 150 mm revs, proven geo for all around riding, correct seat tube diameter for my Reverb, Thru axle rear
    Cons: No iscg tabs, expensive, hard to find a retailer, heavy

Giant Reign
    Pros: Looks great, good geo, thru axle rear
    Cons: No iscg tabs (X-model has them) No idea where to buy in Europe

Don't worry too much about ISCG tabs. I have had two bikes with them (One was a Reign X) where I couldn't find a chain device which actually worked properly and ended up fitting a BB type chain device which I could actually fit at the correct angle.
    Heckler & Reign both ride great, I would go for the Reign though. It was just a lot of fun to ride, a proper hooligan which got better the more I abused it.
  • I'd just like to add that the Mega works perfectly fine with 150mm 32mm stanchion forks.

A 36 or Lyrik unlocks lots of DH potential but I now run min with a 150mm Sektor and it's spot on. I have run it with a 36 but as it was a Van I felt it compromised the bike's all round ability too much. I've also run it with a 140mm Fox 32 but that was only temporary.

It's a very versatile frame for trail riding, lighter than my old Commie Meta 5.5 too :)
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • rockmonkeysc
    I just think that by putting on a shorter, less stiff fork you are kind of missing the whole point of the Mega and would be better off with a lighter frame designed around 150mm forks.
  • Not sure how much experience you have of the Mega but in my experience and having run 3 different types of fork I would say that it makes a very capable bike with a 150mm 32mm stanchion fork.

I've ridden it in Gravity Enduro's, trail centres, wild natural rides (Peaks, Snowdon...etc) and it's off to the Alps next week. I know a 160mm fork will enhance it in the descending department (and I'm loooking at that as a future upgrade) but as it stands it is more than capable with a 150 up front.
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    Not sure how much experience you have of the Mega but in my experience and having run 3 different types of fork I would say that it makes a very capable bike with a 150mm 32mm stanchion fork.

I've ridden it in Gravity Enduro's, trail centres, wild natural rides (Peaks, Snowdon...etc) and it's off to the Alps next week. I know a 160mm fork will enhance it in the descending department (and I'm loooking at that as a future upgrade) but as it stands it is more than capable with a 150 up front.

You don't need anymore descending speed you just kept getting further away all day and my meta loves pointing downwards
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Tactica
    I have decided to go with the Nukeproof. Ordered some custom wheels with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs for better compatibility in the future. El Guapo with the DBDB still does look awesome!

Nukeproof Mega just seems to be nonexistent in stores?! In-stock-dates just keep pushing more and more in to the future. Are they having problems manufacturing them? I need one in large, no matter which color.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    Tactica wrote:
    I have decided to go with the Nukeproof. Ordered some custom wheels with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs for better compatibility in the future. El Guapo with the DBDB still does look awesome!

Nukeproof Mega just seems to be nonexistent in stores?! In-stock-dates just keep pushing more and more in to the future. Are they having problems manufacturing them? I need one in large, no matter which color.

the bicycle doctor in porth has mega's in stock

http://www.thebicycledoctor.com/collect ... mega-frame
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • Tactica
    b45her wrote:
    Tactica wrote:

the bicycle doctor in porth has mega's in stock

http://www.thebicycledoctor.com/collect ... mega-frame

Only in medium size. Thanks for the tip though.
  • riw
    riw Posts: 1
    Recently moved from Orange 5 to El Guapo, has taken a little getting used to but now fat bars are on and using 36 floats x 160mm the bike is really growing on me. Def faster at climbing than orange by a decent margin and i think the DHs are as quick too (just me holding it back now!). Just cant over the price its a no brainer! Not sure why you'd need the cane creek shock, the Monarch once bedded in is good enough for UK riding.

NB be aware your mates WILL take the p*ss as he name is bobbins!!
  • Tactica
    CRC got the Nukeproof Mega frames in early. Silver frame ordered!