Rubber Queens or Mountain Kings?

HarryK
HarryK Posts: 84
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Going to be getting some new tyres and have narrowed it down to Conti Mountain King II's or Rubber Queens- both UST and 2.2". I'm leaning towards the RQ's as I've heard it grips over almost anything, particularly wet roots which is what a lot of my local trails tend to feature, but are also a bit of a chore on the road. The mountain king II's seems like the more practical all round option and less of a pain on the road? Which is key as I have to ride to most of my local trails on't road. Anyone got any thoughts? Cheers!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    MKs must be the black chilli version to have grip in the wet.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    And even then, slimy wet rocks are more than just a challenge to MKIIs.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    BC Rubber Queen on the front & BC ProTection MK2 on the back*

*I've never actually tried this set-up
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I've got RQ on front and rear on the Stump, wouldn't say they're a chore at all on the road.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I run a RQ 2.2 UST Black Chilli all year round on the front. Very confidence inspiring and I find it quicker rolling than most other tyres of that ilk I've tried. They are good in the wet, better than most (but not brilliant) on roots....but what is? You can crank them over nicely as well

As someone above mentions....stick a MK2 on the back maybe. Personally I run a Crossmark on the back in summer and a mudx in winter. Although am still waiting for summer....
  • HarryK
    Cheers for the help- gone for a black chilli rubber queen on the front and then a mountain king II on't back.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    HarryK wrote:
    Cheers for the help- gone for a black chilli rubber queen on the front and then a mountain king II on't back.
    That might be a winning combination.
    Riding in Coed y Brenin again today confirmed my belief that MKII black chilli tyres are just phenomenal there. They stick like limpets on all those tricky climbs, and find grip in the most improbably of places.
    So, with a softer compound rubber queen on the front, I reckon you'll be good to go anywhere.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    just got to using a RQ bc on the front of my bike, ( too wide for rear)

what a ace tire! grips well in deep mud ( crc marshbrook) and rolls well

might have to update the bike to fit one on the rear! :lol:
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • can someone please tell me why people are running different tyres on the front than the back?

Thanks
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    can someone please tell me why people are running different tyres on the front than the back?

Thanks

Generally, people do this as;

big grippy tyre up front for, well, grip
    slimmer, faster rolling tyre out back.

It's better to have the rear lose grip before the front too, as it's easier to deal with.

Sure someone else will explain it a lot better :)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    can someone please tell me why people are running different tyres on the front than the back?

Thanks

Also, its a question of drive vs. steering. Fronts are all about going round corners, where as the back needs to provide drive as well as lateral grip. This means that rear tyres tend to focus more on forwards grip, where as fronts can be just cornering.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Not quite, benpinnick. Fronts also do the braking, so they need a ton of straight line grip.
    Essentially, the front tyre is where grip is needed the most. It's also the tyre with the least weight-load of the two.
  • HarryK
    All the stuff has started arriving, so I'll tell you how it goes one I've taken them out for a ride!