Clicking issue: need some advice

2»

Comments

• Have you checked the pedal bearings? I had a pair of halfords pedals and they were terrible for clicking n grinding. They sounded like a bag of screws in a blender. I cured the clicking noise be stripping them down. And greasing the bearings. Also when rebuilding them make sure the locking nut is not too tight. You will only need basic tools for this think it's a 13mm and 15mm socket and a flat head a screwdriver to pop the bungs out.
    Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    Have you checked the pedal bearings? I had a pair of halfords pedals and they were terrible for clicking n grinding. They sounded like a bag of screws in a blender. I cured the clicking noise be stripping them down. And greasing the bearings. Also when rebuilding them make sure the locking nut is not too tight. You will only need basic tools for this think it's a 13mm and 15mm socket and a flat head a screwdriver to pop the bungs out.

Yeah, I took the pedals off and put some on from another new bike to check it before I took it back to Halfords, no change.
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    i have the boardman comp and have this same issue. it started clicking today and iv prob done 100 miles or so.

theres no play at all in the BB though but im convinced it is the BB clicking. i did read a review before i bought the bike that someone had this issue. i dont know whether to just buy a new one or take it back to halfords. either way i dont want them changing it because it will prob be done wrong.
    Boardman comp 2012
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    i spoke to halford on phone today and they said they were informed there is a bad bach of BB that werent greased so i was told to bring it down and they would grease it. how can a sealed unit be greased though. i asked this and he said it the 2 parts that cause the clicking not the bearings. i dunno but it dont sound the right fix to me.

what do you experts think??
    Boardman comp 2012
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Well in the factory they put the grease in (or not) and then they put a seal on it.

If they didn't put grease, and replaced the first BB with another dodgy one then that sounds like an explanation for the problems.

If it's not then you'll be getting a whole new crankset and BB. Sounds like a good outcome to me, and one that is FSAs fault. You should be quite pleased with Halford's repsonse there.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • roverthehill
    roverthehill Posts: 155
    If the bike is under warranty - I wouldn't touch it - take it back, give off stink. The longer you leave it, the less come back you have - also you might invalidate your warranty if you start messing around. Tell them if they don't fix it this time, you have a new bike!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Manufacturing defects happen, that type of sealed BB usually lasts a long time but ......

Check the seatpost and saddle is tight, upside down it still has pedal loads on it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    bails87 wrote:
    Well in the factory they put the grease in (or not) and then they put a seal on it.

If they didn't put grease, and replaced the first BB with another dodgy one then that sounds like an explanation for the problems.

If it's not then you'll be getting a whole new crankset and BB. Sounds like a good outcome to me, and one that is FSAs fault. You should be quite pleased with Halford's repsonse there.

Is this a reply to me? Because yeah they said they will replace all of that if it happens again (within the warranty period obviously).
    If the bike is under warranty - I wouldn't touch it - take it back, give off stink. The longer you leave it, the less come back you have - also you might invalidate your warranty if you start messing around. Tell them if they don't fix it this time, you have a new bike!

I haven't touched it myself, I've got them to sort it out. And I don't know if there's any point in saying I want a new bike as it's down to either the BB or cranks most likley and there's not really an alternative equivalent to the boardman comp ht either for the price it costs, I wouldn't want something worse and I wouldn't pay extra to change it to a team model either which is about £200 more and they're obviously not just going to give me that as a replacement. Also why would they swap it for another of the same model if it's only down to cranks/bb/chainset whatever?