Got my shiny new Canyon...but

coopertrooper2001
coopertrooper2001 Posts: 20
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Got my 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 8 yesterday - awesome!

Built it up, but unfortunatly, despite using their sizing guide it appears just slightly too small. I am 175cm high and inseam is 78cm.
I have the seat at the maximum but I dont quite get the desired leg extension, its so so close.
Toyed with the idea of a longer post, but I think it will put me too high on the bike.

Have re-compared geometry on the website and there doesnt look that much difference, so think I am going to go for a medium. Any thoughts?

I must say, really impressed with the service and support from Cullen (UK call centre). The bike had some cosmetic damage and they were happy to sort me out on that, but not an issue now as the bike is being collected for replacement.

Was well aware of the disadvantages of not being able to try before I buy, but the 30 day return policy is excellent and more than happy with the service!

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    How annoying...I bet you just wanna get out and ride!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My Nerve AM 7.0 has just (I mean the last 5 minutes, just) arrived. I'm similar to you in that I am 177cm with about a 74cm inseam. It threw up a small for me, so I e-mailed and they suggested a medium. Hopefully I'll get it built up today and it will be right.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    My Nerve AM 7.0 has just (I mean the last 5 minutes, just) arrived. I'm similar to you in that I am 177cm with about a 74cm inseam. It threw up a small for me, so I e-mailed and they suggested a medium. Hopefully I'll get it built up today and it will be right.

Let me know how it goes will ya???

Mega annoying, my pedals arrived in time and everything....
  • mcnultycop
    Yes mate, should get it finished tonight.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Got my 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 8 yesterday - awesome!

Built it up, but unfortunatly, despite using their sizing guide it appears just slightly too small. I am 175cm high and inseam is 78cm.
    I have the seat at the maximum but I dont quite get the desired leg extension, its so so close.
    Toyed with the idea of a longer post, but I think it will put me too high on the bike.

Have re-compared geometry on the website and there doesnt look that much difference, so think I am going to go for a medium. Any thoughts?

I must say, really impressed with the service and support from Cullen (UK call centre). The bike had some cosmetic damage and they were happy to sort me out on that, but not an issue now as the bike is being collected for replacement.

Was well aware of the disadvantages of not being able to try before I buy, but the 30 day return policy is excellent and more than happy with the service!

Eh? Surely you'll be at the same height on the bike, ie relative to the ground, except you'll have less seatpost showing on the bigger frame to acheive the same height?
    Or I guess you want the frame longer as well as taller, for better reach?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop wrote:

Let me know how it goes will ya???

Mega annoying, my pedals arrived in time and everything....

Medium feels right to me mate, at the moment. It is difficult with no other sized frames to compare it to, but I've had a quick blast round the street (not set the suspension yet) but it felt the right size.
  • @mcnultycop
    Thanks for your feedback. Ordered a medium last night. My small was collected by UPS at 9am today - very efficient.

Fingers crossed the next one wont take 5 weeks to arrive (current order time).

Not my week this week, just collected my new shoes and SPD's for the bike from a local shop. They have sent me one SPD shoe and one trainer - do'h. Ah well its not like I need them for a few weeks anyhow.
  • Final question - was yours damage free? Hoping my next one is spot on.
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    My nerve XC 7 arrived Monday and was spot on no damage at all, just the brakes were the wrong way round :evil:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    DodgeT wrote:
    Eh? Surely you'll be at the same height on the bike, ie relative to the ground, except you'll have less seatpost showing on the bigger frame to acheive the same height?[/quote]
    Precisely. Having the saddle higher is having the saddle higher, regardless of how it's achieved.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Jimx26 wrote:
    My nerve XC 7 arrived Monday and was spot on no damage at all, just the brakes were the wrong way round :evil:

Is that not the way the brakes are supposed to be in Europe?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    ste_t wrote:
    Jimx26 wrote:

Is that not the way the brakes are supposed to be in Europe?
    on the continent yes, they normally change them over for the uk
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • mcnultycop
    Final question - was yours damage free? Hoping my next one is spot on.

A couple of really minor issues, that I'm having some communication with them about now. I mean, really, really minor.
  • I specifically requested they fit my rear brake on the left and that was how it came!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I specifically requested they fit my rear brake on the left and that was how it came!
    Did they also fit the front brake to the left, since you didn't explicitly explain it? :lol:
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    I specifically requested they fit my rear brake on the left and that was how it came!

It didn't even cross my mind they would be on the other way round tbh. Was an easy enough fix though and took all of 5 minutes to swap them over.
  • mattjevans
    mattjevans Posts: 253
    Mine came brakes as UK standard. Pity, as I wanted them euro style but as someone said, 5 minute job to swap

Back to the sizing question, I am 5'8 and got a medium Nerve AM, I wouldnt want a small myself even though thats what the Canyon sizing recommendation was