Swapping for a larger frame vs buying a new bike

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all

I posted a thread on here a week or so ago about how unsteady I feel on my PX pro carbon. Really love the shifting and the acceleration but just don't feel safe on it particularly when using the drop bars so I spend most of my time on the hoods - this after more than 1500 miles on it so I decided I wasn't going to "grow into it".

The consensus on here was to look at getting a bike fitting so I went to my LBS who said the frame is too small and, even when fully adjusted, the drop between saddle and bars is way too big for me and I was a little cramped and forced forward over the bars. The guy at the LBS spent an hour with me free of charge (big shout for Red Kite in Solihull) and adjusted things as far as he could which made it better but still not enough for me to be confident. I guess this kind of riding position is ideal for an aggressive, confident rider but I'm neither of those things and I feel unsteady.

I'm heavy (95kg) and I mostly do relaxed riding, 50-100 mile, at ~15mph pace. I do use the bike for sprint triathlons but I average ~17-18mph so I am hardly an aggressive sprinter but I would like to be able to improve on that once I am confident on the bike.

I am trying to decide whether to swap the PX frame for a size up or whether to sell the PX and get a different bike. Swapping the frame is obviously a cheaper option but my concern is that the PX might still be the wrong style of bike for me. I am looking for something which I can be comfortable on for long rides but be confident enough on to start pushing harder in the sprint triathlons and in my first Olympic triathlon next year.

I have the cash for a new bike but, whilst I love the idea of shopping for a new one, I don't want to spend it unecessarily.

Thanks in advance

FD

Comments

• nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    What you need is a compromise. You can get a perfectly good frame for good value the days. If you wanted to avoid Planet X you should Dolan. Very reputable frames & get great reviews. Or maybe Ribble? Have a good look around before making a choice though. I think a Dolan would be ideal for my pence worth!
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    Daz, what size is your PX frame ?
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Medium - 54