Pads, anything I need to know ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Howdy guys.

I got back from me run other day and just as I pulled in home the front end was screeching and scratching, so I got the bike on the work stand to investigate and it seems I have totally wore the front pads away.

So I need a new set of pads, anything I need to know about ? should I go for all singing all dancing carbon kevlar woven jobbies, ? I have the Ashima discs.

I know Superstars do pads but again I have never bought a set so I dont know what I should be looking for, any help much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance 8)

Comments

• I think just bog standard sintered will do you fine for the stuff you ride. Lots buy from superstar but i didnt like the pads i got from them. For some reason they were thicker and rubbed badly. (not sure if anyone else had this problem?). I got some more cheapies from Disco brakes (same people who make Exotic carbon stuff), and they seem great.

My clarks ones were ok too.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers Penguin.

I'll check Disco brakes and opt for some Sintered then.

• Sintered - Suitable for wet/gritty conditions. Long life. Poor initial bite, good power when warm. Can squeel like a pig.

Organic - Suitable for dry conditions. Good bite from cold, good power. Wear quickly in wet conditions.

Kevlar - Suitable for dry - moist conditions. Good bite from cold. best power. Wear quickly in wet/gritty conditions. Longer lasting than Organic.

Personally i've never had any problems with Superstar pads but some people have and hate them.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Anonymous
    Oh I like the sound of the Kevlar, and the DiscoBrakes.com is a great site as it lists all the different tyres for my brakes which is nice.

Thanks guys :D
  • CubeCrazy wrote:
    Oh I like the sound of the Kevlar, and the DiscoBrakes.com is a great site as it lists all the different tyres for my brakes which is nice.

Thanks guys :D

Their service is ace! Actually i like the sound of the kevlar too :)
  • I run Superstar Kevlar and am really happy with the performaance vs price. Nice, quiet, powerful and trouble free

I've had a set of Kevlars last about 8 months (2 4hr rides per week on average in mostly dry conditions) and then running a new set of Kevlars in extreme wind/rain/grit at Cwmcarn DH in Wales, destroyed a set in a day.

Use pads suitable for your conditions at all times. no point destroying your rotors.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Anonymous
    I've just taken the front pads out (first time done it, dead proud lol) and the front spring clip is totally bent :o I wonder what could have caused that.

So do you get spring clips when you order pads generally or are these something you order seperately ?

Thanks for the tip on conditions too Priory :D
  • Anonymous
    Scratch that, just read, springs included, time to bash the credit card :D

Thanks for the info and the linky guys, great site that 8)