02 (and I believe Tesco) Workaround

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
For those, like me, that found I have no connection on O2 this morning, try turning off 3G. This was suggested on the FCCUK forum and it's got me my connectivity back (albeit with just 2G presumably...). I believe Tesco & another network use the same transmitters
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Thanks for that. Worked! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Bloody genius!
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Cheers! This works for GiffGaff also.
  • meanredspider
    Service update from O2:
    08:00 – We can confirm that our 2G network service has now been restored. Customers who were affected should now be able to make and receive calls.

Our 3G service is starting to restore and customers should expect to see a gradual return of data services as the day progresses.

Customers affected may wish to try switching their mobile phones off and on as service returns.

We are sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused some customers and can provide reassurance that we continue to deploy all possible resources, and will do so until full service is restored.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Mmmmm core network.....Kinda glad that my company product group have no dealings with O2.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Here's a weird one that we are at a loss to explain (and we're an IT company :lol:)... we are on O2 and my HTC and the Blackberry were showing a 2G service but no 3G/HSPDA and saying 'Data service not available". Several of my colleagues have iPhones, they had no signal bars and no phone service, not even 2G... but DID have a data service - they were able to google stuff perfectly well... and yes, we did check that the wifi was turned off on the phone. Weird or what?

Was all working again by 3pm today BTW, at least for me in Farringdon and now at home in NW London...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • gtvlusso
    Here's a weird one that we are at a loss to explain (and we're an IT company :lol:)... we are on O2 and my HTC and the Blackberry were showing a 2G service but no 3G/HSPDA and saying 'Data service not available". Several of my colleagues have iPhones, they had no signal bars and no phone service, not even 2G... but DID have a data service - they were able to google stuff perfectly well... and yes, we did check that the wifi was turned off on the phone. Weird or what?

Was all working again by 3pm today BTW, at least for me in Farringdon and now at home in NW London...

Ah - The old quality of service conundrum!

The problem at O2 was the HLR, Home Location Register, by the sounds of the troubles and triggering actions from the HLR seemed to be a problem. Basically a HLR is a bl**dy big DB with all your subscription data, when you use your phone and activate a service it authenticates you as an O2 user and sends a trigger to other systems to allow voice call (triggers to the VLR) or data call (triggers to the SGSN/GGSN)

Generally, iphones are sold with a higher quality of service (call it a 'priority queue') for data access as part of your HLR subscription data. So, with your iphone contract you will automatically get priority over other handset type to register on the SGSN/GGSN for data.

So, it is more than likely that for voice services O2 provision iPhones with a standard voice priority service, but upgrade your data priority service so that you effectively get data access over and above other standard handset users.

Hence the iPhone had data, but no voice, and other handsets had nothing unless they were lucky!
  • Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    you can convert you iPhone into a iPod touch simply by putting in a O2 sim card
  • meanredspider
    What I read.....
    gtvlusso wrote:
    The problem at O2 was the HLR, Home Location Register, by the sounds of the troubles and triggering actions from the HLR seemed to be a problem. Basically a HLR is a bl**dy big DB with all your subscription data, when you use your phone and activate a service it authenticates you as an O2 user and sends a trigger to other systems to allow voice call (triggers to the VLR) or data call (triggers to the SGSN/GGSN)

Generally, iphones are sold with a higher quality of service (call it a 'priority queue') for data access as part of your HLR subscription data. So, with your iphone contract you will automatically get priority over other handset type to register on the SGSN/GGSN for data.

So, it is more than likely that for voice services O2 provision iPhones with a standard voice priority service, but upgrade your data priority service so that you effectively get data access over and above other standard handset users.

Hence the iPhone had data, but no voice, and other handsets had nothing unless they were lucky!

What I understood
    gtvlusso wrote:
    The problem at O2 blah blah blah blah O2 user blah blah blah blah

Generally, iphones blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah O2 provision iPhones blah blah blah blah

:oops: :oops: :oops: :wink::D

(With a nod to Gary Larson.... 8) )
  • gtvlusso
    What I read.....
    gtvlusso wrote:

What I understood
    gtvlusso wrote:
    The problem at O2 blah blah blah blah O2 user blah blah blah blah

Generally, iphones blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah O2 provision iPhones blah blah blah blah

:oops: :oops: :oops: :wink::D

(With a nod to Gary Larson.... 8) )

Not the first time I have been accused of talking b*ll*cks!

I am pretty sure that's how my daughter hears me when I ask her not to do something.....