Google Maps adding UK Cycle Routes...

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited July 2012 in MTB general

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hmm, A to B via cycle lanes. Scary prospect in some cases.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    edited July 2012
    What the hell is wrong with that cyclist's legs!? Do they thing our thighs are jointed or something?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's.....not great. If I followed it for my commute I reckon I'd be dead within a week.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I like it that you can clearly see all the sustrans routes when you click on the bike icon,show up nicely in a strong bold green line. Also states it's in beta and invites updates so will probably end up rivalling Open Source Maps in time.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    What the hell is wrong with that cyclist's legs!? Do they thing our thighs are jointed or something?
    Really? I thought she's cute.
    GoogleCyclist.JPG

bails87 wrote:
    It's.....not great. If I followed it for my commute I reckon I'd be dead within a week.
    Why?
    (By the way, that's a genuine question, not a sarcy comment. The Sustrans routes near where I live and work are really handy, and suitable even for families)
  • bluechair84
    I agree, she is a cutie... but I hope she isn't the silhouette for this cos... I can't figure out how you'd ride with those legs.

google%2520biker.png
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Maybe she has normal legs, but a load of "junk in da trunk".
    Yoonowhamsaying, y'all?
  • bluechair84
    Maybe she has normal legs, but a load of "junk in da trunk".
    Yoonowhamsaying, y'all?
    Well, combining Bails fear of Sustrans, and your perceptive notice of the large posterior... she shat herself in a massive way using Google to commute to work?
  • bails87
    edited July 2012

bails87 wrote:
    Why?.

It takes me on the A46, go into streetview here. It's a 3 lane, 70mph dual carriageway with no hard shoulder. There's a perfectly good 40mph country/suburban road that runs almost parallel, but the mapping took me the marginally shorter way on the A46. It also picked up a few hundred yards of footpath as well as cyclepath. :?

I have no problem with Sustrans, just in case they're reading this :lol:
    MTB/CX

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Lad in the vid must be gay, far too much thought gone into all that..

Whats wrong with chip shop then hotel??
  • YeehaaMcgee
    bails87 wrote:

bails87 wrote:
    Why?.

It takes me on the A46, go into streetview here. It's a 3 lane, 70mph dual carriageway with no hard shoulder. There's a perfectly good 40mph country/suburban road that runs almost parallel, but the mapping took me the marginally shorter way on the A46. It also picked up a few hundred yards of footpath as well as cyclepath. :?

I have no problem with Sustrans, just in case they're reading this :lol:
    Fascinating. I guess the Sustrans routes aren't as well thought out as I had assumed then.
  • bails87
    I assume that the A46 isn't associated with any Sustrans route, in fact on the sliproads there are signs advising cyclists to take an alternative route....which is part of the National Cycle Network . Google's routing must have just decided that it's the quickest way between two points.

Cyclestreets.net is better IME. In any case, something like this (for any sane person) should be a starting point, rather than a definitive route planner.
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    Oh right, so it's the Google thing that's causing issue, not Sustrans?
  • bails87
    Oh right, so it's the Google thing that's causing issue, not Sustrans?
    I would have thought so. I guess it sticks to cyclepaths where it can, then tries to take bike friendlier routes elsewhere.

But you'd think it would know that the A46 was a 70mph limit (cars routinely do 90mph+, it's a motorway in all but name), it would know that it was a dual carriageway (it must do for the mapping,right?), and you'd hope would know that there was a NCN route doing a parallel journey down slower/quieter roads.
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    Well, Google is not synonymous with sensible solutions, mind.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I must admit I did it for my commute (sleepy Sussex village to the City), and it sent me up a dual carriageway with no cycle path, then a right turn off it (fun at rush hour), up a real swine of a climb, avoiding a quieter and nicer one, then along another dual carriageway, into the most absurd back lanes and completely avoiding CS7 which goes right the way into the city.

It manages to add 4 miles over my route too, even on the really zoomed out view it looks more circuitous, and yet it manages to take in all the busy bits I purposely avoid. :?

Still, it's a start!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Just tried my commute, and it takes more or less the route I take - except that I take a detour to extend the route, and to avoid traffic-heavy roads.

EDIT:
    I takre that back, if I try and put my detour into google maps, then for some inexplicable reason, it diverts me from the Sustrans cycle path, right onto a very busy main road that runs absolutely parallell to it for about a quarter of a mile, then back onto the cycle path :lol:
    FAIL!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    One route near me tries to go through a brick wall into Brookwood Cemetary then through the cemetary which I think bikes are frowned upon, and further along through the middle of the danger area of Pirbright ranges. Yet round Tunnel Hill where there are plenty of nice trails it refuses to go saying they are restricted. Not that it knows any trails, only fireroads.

Has no knowledge of tow paths, even where they are official cycle routes.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The walking route is a lot closer to the route I take. Their cycle route takes me straight down the A1.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    deadkenny wrote:
    One route near me tries to go through a brick wall into Brookwood Cemetary then through the cemetary which I think bikes are frowned upon,
    The way you ride I'd say it's prescient and just trying to save the taxpayer the ambulance bill.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Does anyone else find cycle paths/lanes extremely frustrating? I.e. they don't allow flow through junctions etc, randomly start and stop. I don't use them personally. It's as if they're designed for pedestrians rather than moving vehicles. The ones that are the main problem are where half of the pavement is a cycle lane.

I'm comparing the UK ones with ones I recently saw in Berlin, much more efficient. Smooth transitions at junctions on and off the pavements, then marked lanes across junctions etc. Much better than the half baked attempt we seem to have here

P.s. cyclestreets.net looks a lot better, thanks for the tip
  • YeehaaMcgee
    dmorton wrote:
    Does anyone else find cycle paths/lanes extremely frustrating?
    I just find cities frustrating, full stop.
    Nothing seems to work - the road networks, the public transport, there's no, or crap options for walkers and cyclists. In short, nobody's happy.
  • bails87
    there's no, or crap options for walkers and cyclists.

Definitely. On my non-death way to work I cross a dual carriageway. There are 5 lanes of traffic crossing 5 lanes and seemingly dozens of different light combinations to let traffic from the DC coming each way turn left, right or go straight on in turn, followed by the traffic on the minor road going left, right and straight on.

The pavement of the "minor" road is a shared use path, but there's no pedestrian/bike crossing to get across the massive junction. I find it easier, quicker and safer to just ride on the road, that way when I'm going through the junction it's because I've got a green light, so I know everyone else has got a red light. Trying to cross the road when you've got to keep an eye on a load of different streams of traffic, plus the lights themselves is a nightmare.

And dmorton: yes, I agree. they almost always give priority to the minor roads that join them, rather than being treated like a major road. People park on them. People drive off driveways without looking. They're quite often full of obstacles:
    springfieldroad.jpg
    MTB/CX

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Fascinating. I guess the Sustrans routes aren't as well thought out as I had assumed then.

I think the reason is that the Sustrans routes are not originally captured using Google mapping. Therefore when a process is applied to the routes to 'map' them to Google some discrepancies occur. It usually needs a person to run through them all and apply some logic, but unfortunately sometimes that requires some local knowledge too.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    bails87 wrote:
    And dmorton: yes, I agree. they almost always give priority to the minor roads that join them, rather than being treated like a major road. People park on them. People drive off driveways without looking. They're quite often full of obstacles:
    springfieldroad.jpg

This is exactly the half arsed sh*te that I was talking about!

I can understand how it occurs though, having once been involved with the council in trying to get a skate park built many years ago. Their aim seemed not to actually build one that would meet peoples needs but rather be seen to be doing "something" so people moaned less.... This is what I believe cycle lanes have become
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    bails87 wrote:
    springfieldroad.jpg

Now that's a commuter bike if ever I saw one!

Full on triple crown and 203 discs for the rough and tough of the inner city - I think the jacket is from Fox's new DH range though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • finally.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    springfieldroad.jpg

Now that's a commuter bike if ever I saw one!

Full on triple crown and 203 discs for the rough and tough of the inner city - I think the jacket is from Fox's new DH range though.
    I thought that when I chose the pic, I couldn't be arsssed to trawl through here for a more appropriate bike :lol: Looks like a Spesh Enduro to me.
    MTB/CX

• Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    bails87 wrote:

Definitely. On my non-death way to work

Bails my dear, at the minute there is no way for you to cycle that is safe it would seem
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bails87
    Gazlar wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Definitely. On my non-death way to work

Bails my dear, at the minute there is no way for you to cycle that is safe it would seem

I said "non-death" not "safe". :wink:
    MTB/CX