Emergency Tax

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited July 2012 in The hub
Evening all

Started a new job 3 weeks ago; happy days.

Old work have only just sent my P45 out, and its touch and go that it will be here in time for the payroll run for new job.

Have filled out a P46 on first day at new job.

HMRC website is kind of helpful. Explains the difference between BR and standard emergency codes, but doesn't make it clear what % of tax you pay on the money above the allowance i.e. do you pay 20% up to £35k, 40% up to £150k and so on like you do normally, or is it like it was the last time i paid emergency tax i.e. bend over...

New job has said that i will pay standard emergency tax i.e. non-cumulative, but its not clear whether I'm gonna get nailed or not

Anyone shed any light on this ?

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Two ways to do this:
    1. Ring up HMRC and ask them what it means in practice, or
    2. Ask the payroll people at your new place what tax they will deduct for that code - it's their responsibility to deduct the right amount so they should know.

In the end, if you need to get some tax back, the company should do it for you via the monthly payroll once you're off emergency tax, or else fill in a tax return after the end of the tax year.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    You'll get it back so don't worry. If you don't then fill in a tax return, can be worth doing this now and then anyway. I got about a grand back from doing one when I had been doing the same for for a couple of years and assumed I wasn't owed anything.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • DCR00
    Payroll confirmed today that percentage paid remains the same

Did try to call HMRC. Ever tried ? Nightmare
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    DCR00 wrote:
    Payroll confirmed today that percentage paid remains the same

Did try to call HMRC. Ever tried ? Nightmare

Speaking to the Queen is said to be easier than speaking to HMRC. HMRC is a total fuck up and couldnt run a bath never mind the countrys revenue stream. We are still arguing with them over a return from 2 years ago the accountant says she sometimes spends an hour trying to speak to someone and reckons there is a black hole where all the email and snail mail ends up.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • DCR00
    took me 10 mins to get through their automated question system

they must have had 15 different reasons for calling

then straight onto hold
  • DCR00
    got P45 today, so should be golden

more money for bike bits !

don't tell the Wife !
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Generally when you start a new job you go straight onto 'BR' (basic rate?) tax code, which is often referred to as 'emergency tax.'

Once the companies payroll department get your p45/46, they will complete the info, send it to the hmrc, then have to wait for the tax office to get back to them with a tax code before they can change you from 'BR' to the correct code.

How long you stay on the 'BR' code therefore depends on how quickly the P45/46 gets to your organisations relevent person and how quickly it is then dealt with and passed on to hmrc.