Cannondale Prophet

romft
romft Posts: 61
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

Just building up a Prophet MX in extra large. Cant decide if I should try a lefty on it. The frame has hardly been used and appears to be in very good condition. Getting a good one is getting very hard. I remember the bike getting rave reviews in its time. Do you think the bike can still cut it with todays multi pivot ground hugging bikes ?
Don't suppose any one has one up for sale ? Could build one with a lefty and one with standard fork.

What do you reckon.......

Cheers
Jamie...

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I think building up 2 different bikes would be a bit overkill, but I would recommend the Lefty, they ride very nicely, and are always cool to look at. Not to mention light weight!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    A bit expensive though compared to the other options and requires a special front hub. If a lefty is what you really want then go for it but personally I'd save the money and go for something conventional.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I'd love one, but price is the prohibitive factor.

They seem to get excellent feedback from people who own them. People who don't go on about reliability, ease of servicing, part availability etc.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I had one and it was a very good bike. The frame really is mega stiff and light, responsive in all the right ways. A lefty seems expensive for what you get, just stick with a conventional fork. Two bikes seems overkill as said above. Because the prophet is adjustable, you could take advantgae of this and get a pair of Revs, and a pair of 36s with the same crown race and swap forks depending on which setting you want the frame in (if you reeeeaaaaally wanted two bikes this would be cheaper).
    Personally though, I really didn't think the bike worked in the slack setting for general trails. The superslack head changes the chainline making the suspension less responsive, and the BB height too low for rough ground. It only behaved itself over very smooth tracks. But it did feel amazing over smooth DH with jumps and drops. I'd have another one.