not sure where to put this but...numb groin!

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Have been on holiday and so been doing some road riding on my mtb.

Anyway, after about 30 mins my "you know what" goes completely numb. I had to check it was still there.

I was thinking could it be the padded shorts restricting the blood flow or something?

Thanks

Comments

• Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    man, that sounds like a total ballache
  • Majski
    In seriousness it could well be saddle shape / position
  • Saddle. Selle Italia Max Flite sorted it for me. Not the most comfortable on the butt tho.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, saddle.

You've got a squishy soft area full of nerves and blood vessels, in between the....er... 'two veg' and your.....erm.....bum'ole.

A saddle without a cutout may well squish that area. No blood flow = loss of feeling.

It's why roadies use saddles like this: 1341585124909-10kvr0seak69y-399-75.jpg
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Majski
    it's called the bifkin
  • bails87
    Dr Bails wrote:
    or perineum
    MTB/CX

• Majski
    it's definately a gooch
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    It is a gooch.
    Papa? Nicole
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    defo your gooch and if your a women its a geefer! lol thought i would add my bit lol

but yep i had the numb gooch the other day was bit worried but stood up and rode for a bit and it went
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • bails87
    Geefer?! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Yep a geefer you heard here first!
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • sigorman85 wrote:
    Yep a geefer you heard here first!

I thought it was called a "chin rest"?
  • Dubdemand
    Dubdemand Posts: 37
    C'mon guys, on a woman that part is known as the twitter!

(the bit between the tw4t and the sh1tter :lol: )
  • spr wheelie
    spr wheelie Posts: 110
    just cut it off :)
    sight 3 se
  • maboo
    maboo Posts: 16
    on a man its a taint, on a women its a twernt
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    check the seat is level.
    check which part of the seat you are sitting on most of the time and if not the part designed to support you move the seat forward, back or raise the nose slightly to push you in to the right place.

get out of the seat every once in a while to get the flow back
  • definately check your saddle angle, sounds like its a touch too high at the front, general rule of thumb is to have it level when the bikes on flat ground, try and make sure your using your Sit bones on the saddle,

could always go for one of these!!
    http://www.spongywonder.com/

bit between the front and back is Deffo a Twernt, as if it Twernt there all your guts would fall out!! ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    definitely check your saddle angle, sounds like its a touch too high at the front, general rule of thumb is to have it level when the bikes on flat ground, try and make sure your using your Sit bones on the saddle

+1
  • I guess it could be useful for those times when you can't sit on your left hand :?:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Doesn't amtter if the saddle is level, the angle you need it at changes from rider to rider.
    Over a short ride, it may become apparent if the saddle is supporting too much of your weight at the frong of your, er, crotch, or at the rear. It needs to be angled so that there's no pressure buildup on any one part.

However, a numb sausage generally means too much pressure along the nerves that run down the center of your gooch, so the saddle may just be the wrong shape, or too narrow.

Mine does it on long road rides, as you tend to stay in the same position for a long time, and it is quite disconcerting. but I've never had this problem when mountain biking.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    For how serious this subject is and how serious it should be taken..... I just cannot stop laughing at this thread.
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    yea its the Gooch.