Boardman Team bike - wrong shifters?

simboride
simboride Posts: 23
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I recently upgraded my Carerra Virtuoso for a Boardman Road Team Alu. It has a 10-speed cassette as advertised, but as far as I can tell only has 8-speed Shimano 105 shifters. Do i take it back to the store?

Comments

• Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    Rear mech could be out of adjustment take it back for check.
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • simboride
    the changes seem smooth enough, but I can only count 8 ratchet clicks when i go through the gears from one side to the other, and I'm still left with my 2 smallest cogs (which is annoying when I want to get a move on!)
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Take it back.

You haven't got 8 speed 105 shifters. They would not change a 10spd cassette smoothly.

I was thinking limit screw needed adjustment but that would'nt mean only give 8 clicks from the shifter.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    So the chain doesn't move all the way across the cassette?

I'd guess the H limit screw is wound in too, or the cable tension is too high.

If you're not fussed about fiddling then undo the gear cable from the mech, if the mech jumps down to the smallest cog then the cable tension is out. If not then it could be the H screw.

Look on park tools website for info.

Or take it back to Halfords, but if it's a 5 minute fix, why bother?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    simboride wrote:
    the changes seem smooth enough, but I can only count 8 ratchet clicks when i go through the gears from one side to the other, and I'm still left with my 2 smallest cogs (which is annoying when I want to get a move on!)

If you count 8 clicks that would be 9 speed. It just needs adjusting properly take it back and ask them to readjust it as you are not getting all the gears!
  • simboride
    Thanks all,

i think i'll take it back, they can sort it better than I can. I suppose I can build some tinkering confidence by playing with my redundant carrera :)
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    if the limit switch is wrong it wont click up the last click. just needs readjusted imo.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    simboride wrote:

I would guess that the 2 'missing' shifter clicks are at the large cog end of the cassette. i.e. when you're in the largest cog the shifter still has 2 more gears left in it, but you can't get to them due to the limit screw and the cable tension will stop the shifter from moving. If the large cog limit screw wasn't set properly you'd be at major risk of putting the derailleur into the spokes, so take care in the meantime.

I might be wrong with that, but essentially the gears need setting up from scratch again. Sounds like the work experience lad had a go the first time...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    A 10 speed shifter will only have 9 clicks - you start in 1 so there will not be 10 clicks.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    simboride wrote:
    8 clicks would be 9 gears. but you say you can not use 2 cogs.

poor set up. or a bent mech hanger.

PS the shifter will be correct.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • simboride
    H limit screw was out, it took seconds for me to fix thanks to Sheldon Brown's instruction. The gear changes were sweet without touching the barrel adjusters and the mech hanger is straight.

Thanks all for your assistance :D