Helmet that isn't too 'mushroomy'

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited July 2012 in Road buying advice
My current helmet makes me look like a stupid mushroom-headed idiot. If you catch my drift. It's made by MET, not sure of the model but I won't be buying anything made by them.

I think part of the problem is that I've got a smallish bonce.

I want something with quite a sleek profile. Any ideas?

Quite like the look of the Mavic Syncro. Anybody got one? Cycle Surgery never have them in stock so haven't been able to try one on.

Comments

• wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I think this is linked to narrow-headedness. Not to be confused with narrow-mindedness.

I have the same problem.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You need to try before you buy, but Kask Mojitos are pretty slimline, mine's fantastically well made and much more comfortable than anything else I've tried.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    LAS Squalo
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I love my Specialized helmet, I've always used Giro's in the past and still do on the mtb but the Specialized is a lot more comfy with better padding and looks good too IMO.

Try as many as you can though, as fit is everything.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I wouldn't rule out all Met helmets. More expensive helmets tend to be lighter and sleeker. I have a Met Inferno and it certainly doesn't make me look mushroom-headed. 40% off at Merlin Cycles at the moment as well....
    More problems but still living....
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    bails87 wrote:
    You need to try before you buy, but Kask Mojitos are pretty slimline, mine's fantastically well made and much more comfortable than anything else I've tried.

+1 - best helmet I've ever owned
  • amaferanga wrote:
    I wouldn't rule out all Met helmets. More expensive helmets tend to be lighter and sleeker. I have a Met Inferno and it certainly http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/s ... /1/doesn't make me look mushroom-headed. 40% off at Merlin Cycles at the moment as well....

I have the Met Inferno and it looks like a mushroom on me :o
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    dont own one (yet) but after trying on a few specialized lids I found cannondale were a better fit. Specialized sat quite high and meant going a size up but then looked very mushroomy.

not sure on model but it was around the £70 mark, very light and very comfortable
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I have a Specialized Tactic (in red!) for my MTB outings, and it's very mushroomy. One to avoid for the aero look, but a decent comfy hat otherwise
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • amaferanga wrote:
    I wouldn't rule out all Met helmets. More expensive helmets tend to be lighter and sleeker. I have a Met Inferno and it certainly http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/s ... /1/doesn't make me look mushroom-headed. 40% off at Merlin Cycles at the moment as well....

I have the Met Inferno and it looks like a mushroom on me :o

I'm an Inferno mushroom head too! It all depends on your head which helmets make you look like a mushroom or not.
  • I'm an Inferno mushroom head too! It all depends on your head which helmets make you look like a mushroom or not.

Definitely. The wideness of the sides look huge on my head. I've yet to find a helmet that fits my head well without making it look like a mushroom, maybe one day I'll find one.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    bails87 wrote:

Yep - Kask Mojito is a fantastic fit for me. Distinct lack of mushroom.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Chadders81 wrote:

Quite like the look of the Mavic Syncro. Anybody got one? Cycle Surgery never have them in stock so haven't been able to try one on.

I currently use a Mavic Plasma, pearl white, which is more or less an upgrade of the Syncro. I like it and as far as I am aware it doesn't look "mushroomy". However, it is actually retro in design because the way the vents converge at the front giving an interesting "bunch of bananas" look, especially if you get the yellow version!
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • bucks
    bucks Posts: 91
    I have this problem too unfortunately.

Like others have suggested, Kask seems to fix this issue for me too!
    the higher line orbea helmet might be worth trying too.
  • danmitch
    danmitch Posts: 47
    The only helmet that was not 'mushroomy' for me was the Limar Ultralight - very happy with it too!
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    I had the MET roadrunner and it was very mushroomy but I now have the Kask k50 evo and it has fixed the problem. Highly recommended!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Another +1 for Kask. Try one.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Thanks guys. I went to Cycle Surgery yesterday and tried on some Mavic Helmets. Mega mushroom.

The Specialized was possibly the best on me. I tried one of the cheaper Kasks and it was awful.

You wouldn't look at me and instantly think 'pin head', but I've definitely got an odd head.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    While I can appreciate that you don't want to look too silly, surely the most important thing here is the fit? You want one that fits your head shape and is comfortable so you can forget its even there.
    More problems but still living....
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    It can depend where on the sizing chart your head dimension is. I'm in between Kask M and L and the L looked and felt too big, it was almost touching my ears and the M was too tight. I tried a Giro Aeon M and its no better than my MET Stradivarius L in terms of mushroom head effect, so not worth the exceedingly large sum of money. If you look at the tour some of the helmets are awful especially Europcar and Euskatel. The new Giro without the vents could be the answer for me next Spring.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    I find that all the main shops have a limited range to try from and I don't want to buy from t'internet without trying. I know you can return items but frankly it's a complete pain when you have to.

I also have mushroom problems and tried on Specialized - no good - and Giro still a mushroom. I therefore suspect it's the manufacturers styling that plays a part. Best looking helmet I tried on was a Louis Garneau Sharp. My head sat inside the helmet and it was comfy.

By the way I took my 15 year old son along who provided invaluable guidance as to whether I looked like a tool or not. Teenage daughters and wives work just as well.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muKTL_2oE00
    Sorry, couldn't resist...
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    The Boardman helmets don't look too bad

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/equipment/ ... elmet.html
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Gladiator
    Gladiator Posts: 75
    amaferanga wrote:
    While I can appreciate that you don't want to look too silly, surely the most important thing here is the fit? You want one that fits your head shape and is comfortable so you can forget its even there.

+1

I totally agree, fit is way more important than looks and in reality a helmet that fits properly wont look 'mushroomy' anyway. People forget its there for safety not looking good, its no good being hit by a car and landing on your noggin with brain damage because the helmet 'looked good' but didnt fit properly.
    Also, dont forget that most of us have to wear helmets as well, so you wont be the only tit with a mushroom on his head :D
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    +2 - it doesn't really matter, as long as it fits properly, agree totally about the whole safety issue too ...
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Kask Mojito. Sold my Specialized mush-works for that reason.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    A big trick in getting a helmet that looks good AND fits well is to find a brand or model where you aren't in between sizes. If your head is just a little too big for the medium size, the large size is going to look like a mushroom. So you need to find a brand where one of the sizes fits you just right, the jumps between them are usually pretty big.

Another factor is that some people are just going to look more mushroomy in any case, if you have relatively small facial features but a big head, any helmet is just going to accentuate this. Never mind, you will just look more evolved, there has been an increasing trend in human evolution towards larger cranial capacity and smaller facial features...