Acton Railyard

twist83
twist83 Posts: 761
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Just doing some research on a Potential job. After some help from London people.

Job would be based at Acton Railyard. Currently we live down South West way and would be looking to relocate rather than commute all that way. Few questions.

As an area what is Acton like? Commuting wise I would be looking to cycle in mostly so any suggestions to (reasonable for London) places to look at houses/flats?

Just after some general info not being from London

Comments

• el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    You could live anywhere within a 15 mile radius of Acton and reasonably cycle in. Budget in this area will range from slightly eye-watering to mind-bogglingly obscene. I've got a nice 3-bed in S Ealing on the market at the moment, PM me!
    <a>road</a>
  • twist83
    We would be looking to rent initially so a flat would be more sense so as not to waste too much doing so. Thanks for the offer though.

Like you said it does seem accesible however we would like to live fairly central as we are both young and fancy living fairly close to the centre.

Not sure if it is true or not but several people I have spoken to give the impression Acton is a bit of an iffy area? Any truth to this. I know most locations have their bad spots..
  • el_presidente
    In London there are iffy bits to any area (poss exception of Kensington & Chelsea). Acton is not exactly posh but there are some nice parts.
    <a>road</a>
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    twist83 wrote:
    We would be looking to rent initially so a flat would be more sense so as not to waste too much doing so. Thanks for the offer though.

Like you said it does seem accesible however we would like to live fairly central as we are both young and fancy living fairly close to the centre.

Not sure if it is true or not but several people I have spoken to give the impression Acton is a bit of an iffy area? Any truth to this. I know most locations have their bad spots..

Not sure how much, if any, time you've spent in london? It's freaking enormous but essentially a series of merged communities, each with their own 'high streets' and both good and bad areas. Everyone will have an opinion on an area, usually based on nothing more than a visit to a party a few years ago. Try and find someone that lives where you're thinking of and go and spend a day there. You could literally walk past an amazing little road full of cafe's and cool shops and not realise it was there. Local knowledge is key. Personally I don't really like acton, it's a bit close to places like Alperton (worked there for years) and can feel a bit soulless. I you are renting and can therefore scale up what you would otherwise have to buy then I suggest you take a look at Chiswick which is very close, and in my humble opinion, much nicer. Find a local, have them show you around. Picking a spot in london on the map and then renting the first nice place you find is a bad idea.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Chiswick is very nice but so close to Acton that commuting by bike would take about 5 minutes. It is also pretty expensive - but if you can afford it, its a bleemin nice place to live.

Basically you can look anywhere on the west side of the city and it will be feasible to commute. You could even move to Surbiton where 75% of all posters live and still ride in!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Koncordski wrote:
    If you are renting and can therefore scale up what you would otherwise have to buy then I suggest you take a look at Chiswick which is very close, and in my humble opinion, much nicer.
    +1 Chiswick is nice, and pretty close to Acton.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Brentford? Not as nice as Chiswick, but nicer than Acton. And they make bikes there.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Brentford? Not as nice as Chiswick, but nicer than Acton. And they make bikes there.
    Though there may be a risk of the M4 falling on you...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    I walked the streets of Acton for six years in the service of her Majesty. The rail depot, Bollo Lane I think is directly adjacent to the South Acton Estate. An enormous estate, i would however walk through there of an evening but generally it is the poor relation of its neighbours, Ealing and Chiswick. Acton is home to the Redback. A rough and drunken live music venue and was my favourite night out.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Having just got back from seeing a band I've never heard of and being more than a bit worse for wear I cannot stress the importance of a good live music venue enough. Hic!
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    I walked the streets of Acton for six years in the service of her Majesty. The rail depot, Bollo Lane I think is directly adjacent to the South Acton Estate. An enormous estate, i would however walk through there of an evening but generally it is the poor relation of its neighbours, Ealing and Chiswick. Acton is home to the Redback. A rough and drunken live music venue and was my favourite night out.

Sorry mate- the Redback closed down, they're turning it into a gastro pub apparently. And i certainly wouldn't wander the south acton estate at night. unless you hate your mobile phone and want someone to relieve you of it.

lots of nice places within a 5 mile radius of acton though- in order of niceness and thusly cost:
    -Richmond- i live there and certainly pay for the privilege. great bike shops and the river.
    -Chiswick- many a decent pub
    -Ealing- getting worse but nice and leafy
    -Brentford- up and coming and getting nicer

Basically don't go north of acton.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Acton is home to the Redback. A rough and drunken live music venue and was my favourite night out.
    Sadly, no more, the Redback closed earlier this year. Too many complaints from the neighbours, one of which is the local cop-shop and not the kind of neighbour to annoy!
    In London there are iffy bits to any area (poss exception of Kensington & Chelsea). Acton is not exactly posh but there are some nice parts.
    +1
    Overall, Acton is a bit scruffier than Ealing, which is a bit scruffier than Chiswick. If they were supermarkets, Acton would be Morrisons, Ealing would be Sainsburys and Chiswick is Waitrose.

Ealing's great for transport and within walking distance of Acton, but also quite expensive. I'd guess that el_presidente's nice 3-bedroom is going for more than 1/2 a mil? Anyway, good luck, check out rightmove for ideas on locations & prices.
  • Flyingbogey
    Sad news indeed. Not that I go out anymore but many a good night pogoing full of VB was had there. My info may be a little dated but I remember the S A Est being notorious for its size rather than being particularly dodgy. The pub in men behaving badly was located opp the rail depot. The Crown.
    100% agree on the nothing North of Acton advice.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • el_presidente
    jamesco wrote:
    I'd guess that el_presidente's nice 3-bedroom is going for more than 1/2 a mil?

Yes but it's still the cheapest 3-bed in a 1/2 mile radius :shock:

I am sad the Redback is closed down. takes me back to a simpler time etc etc
    <a>road</a>
  • Flyingbogey
    jamesco wrote:
    Acton is home to the Redback. A rough and drunken live music venue and was my favourite night out.
    Sadly, no more, the Redback closed earlier this year. Too many complaints from the neighbours, one of which is the local cop-shop and not the kind of neighbour to annoy!

We were there best, err most regular customers in my day. Even played rugby with the bouncers, the West London Wildcats. Suppose places like that aren't as much in demand nowadays with t'internet dating. Oh well there's always Captain Cooks on Acton Vale.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    Echo a number of the previous comments - there are some nice bits of Acton - there is an area the estate agents call poets corner near Acton Central station and house prices there are expensive, but walk 10 mins and you are by South Acton estate and I wouldn't want to live close to there.

In general, the further north you go, the more industrial it gets and the fewer amenities there are.

Acton High St is a pound shop, kebab shop type of place and has resisted gentrification despite estate agents talking the area up for years.

There are more upmarket (but more expensive areas) like Chiswick and Ealing close by and only about 10-15 mins by bike from Acton. Another area worth thinking about is in towards Shepherds Bush, off the Uxbridge Road. Again, the estate agents are talking this area up and I've seen it called "NoGo" (North of Goldhawk Rd) I was in a new cafe there a couple of months ago and there were no less than 3 MacBooks so the estate agents may have a point :wink:
  • twist83
    Cheers for all the replys. I have noted these areas down and will do some research into prices etc. I know compared to where we live they are going to pucker me up but then the potential wage would easily plug the short fall.

We would like to live somewhere fairly close to the centre as we are both still young and have no kids. So the perfect time really.

I spent 6 months contracting there about 4 years ago for Xchanging and even commuting from Somerset each day I loved it.

The other half is an Estate Agent as well (Spit!) so there seems to be no shortage of them in London LOL.
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    If you want somewhere more central, then I'd look at places like Hammersmith or Shepherds Bush or further in like Holland Park, Notting Hill, Kensington. These are pricier areas but you may be able to find some bargains. Chiswick and Ealing are good but definitely have a more "suburban" feel than closer in. Chiswick High Rd on a Saturday is double buggy central.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I remember going to Redback back in late 1999 when I first moved to London! Hadven't been back since... Still, sad to hear that it's closed...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.