Bicycling on Google

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Google Maps shows the nation’s cycling lanes. Apparently goes live from 5.00pm today.

Looked at my area and while you can display routes, and plan "Bicycling directions", already, they don't look very complete.

Is it any better for your area?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Not too bad for Brizzle TBH....! My commute is mapped.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Click the 3d button - it's way cool!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hmm just did a quick test and it decides that i can cycle through the rotherhide tunnel :shock:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    My suggested commute seems extremely keen to get away from the roads. Reckon it needs to add a small cost to turning onto a new road to make it make sense to not snake around all the sideroads to shave 100 metres off a 10mi commute.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Just tried mine. Clearly someone hates cyclists.

It's sending people down the A453 which is the main route into Nottingham from the M1 South.

Deathtrap springs to mind.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    It almost got my journey right, took me off the A24 to go for a pootle in Clapham Common though.

I was disappointed in the time however, 8.2 miles in 54 minutes, all I ever get is 32-34 minutes myself :lol: Maybe it needs to learn that cycling in London is quicker than driving.

Oh well, that took me away from work for 5 minutes.
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It took me from my house, down some footpaths and onto a dual carriageway, before winding down side roads rather than just getting on the parallel 30/40mph road that I use. Going through 8 crossroads is probably more dangerous than being on a slightly busier road.

Once I corrected that by dragging the route, it directed me onto the A46. No thankyou!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    took me along the north circular for my commute rather than the shorter and safer route
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Hmmm...clearly doesnt take elevation into account...

Route 1 - almost my current route in is 12.0 miles (actually 12.2) 1hour 18min (well under an hour for me) via A5, Marylebone Road (I actually go via Regent Park, its nicer)

Route 2 - up the A1 through Holloway/Archway - 12.9 miles 1hour 19min :eek: only 1 min longer despite the extra mile, the difficulty of cross the N Circular at Henleys Corner (no way on a bike!) and the long climb up Archway Road - not a nice route...

I think its best used for 'preliminary planning' only...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    Hmph. Just found at least two big glitches around one of my routes: It doesn't recognise the wiggly bit of CS7 that avoids E&C roundabouts, nor has it updated the road layout in Brixton since they allowed you to ride straight up the hill instead of round the back of St Matthew's Church, although they have sorted out that annoying glitch that wouldn't let you go North on Moorgate.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    CycleStreets comes closer than any of the routes Google throws up.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Route it comes up with is ... odd.

Seems determined to avoid the A-road (with bus lane) that I use. I use it because it's a straight shot to work and involves very little interaction with traffic. There are a couple of iffy junctions, to be fair, but the google route still goes through them and in fact adds a couple more as it veers back and forth across main roads.

It's all tiny side streets through a pretty iffy area. It's probably doable, but I'm not sure I'd want to use it at night.

Funnily enough, the "walking" directions nail my commute almost exactly.

Cyclestreets is pretty much unusable for Brum because it refuses to acknowledge that people might not want to use canal towpaths.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    In theory it got mine correct - cycling route 66 all the way down into Manchester from Chaddy.

Unfortunately, this puts me on the Rochdale Canal - steps, cobbles, narrow paths and wino and junkie dodging, and takes 90 mins on my now defunct hybrid. There isn't a cat in hell's chance either me or my road bike would last five minutes. I'd rather take my chances on Oldham Rd, thanks.

(I don't actually blame Google for this - in bike utopia it's the perfect route. I just don't know who thought that a trip down the canal was a viable route for anything other than a BMX.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    hmm just did a quick test and it decides that i can cycle through the rotherhide tunnel :shock:
    You can. I have. Wouldn't recommend it though.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • hmm just did a quick test and it decides that i can cycle through the rotherhide tunnel :shock:

It's not that bad. I've even rollerbladed in it. Just make sure you take the lane in order to discourage silly overtaking.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    nice! but why dont the blue routes show up??...odd since they are the main cycling routes in london...
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    edit: double post.....
  • lockstock666
    lockstock666 Posts: 131
    Did no one else use cyclestreets or similar to map their route in the first place?

Google did not hit the same route, added 3/4 mile to my journey. Weaving around streets in order to get to a cycle lane. It is probably safer for me tho.
  • I have found bikeroutetoaster to give me the best 'real world' route options. Has anyone done a study on the respective tools? If not perhaps we should come up with a list of alternatives and try them all. Might even make an interesting article for the mag?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Google Maps shows the nation’s cycling lanes. Apparently goes live from 5.00pm today.

Looked at my area and while you can display routes, and plan "Bicycling directions", already, they don't look very complete.

Is it any better for your area?

Has anyone else tried to submit comments/corrections?

Google doesn't seem to know about a local bike path but my attempts to use the tell-us-how button failed.

On my commute it currently recommends a section of path that I've never used, despite having grown up cycling in the area and then moved back and commuted between these points for ten years... Guess I should go and explore :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Well it selected the exact route into work that I now use - one that I worked on over a 6 month period to find the best route.

So for me I have to give it top marks.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    hmm just did a quick test and it decides that i can cycle through the rotherhide tunnel :shock:

It's not that bad. I've even rollerbladed in it. Just make sure you take the lane in order to discourage silly overtaking.

My point is that it's grotty, rather than particularly bad.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

My point is that it's grotty, rather than particularly bad.

still not sure, as the route missed out the cycle superhighway to get to westminster and wanted me to go through the tunnel south of the river and pop back up just before milbank :shock:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    My suggested route is only suitable for a MTB and even then you end up covered in mud from head to foot, as my family will testify to, as I've used it for the last 2 days (avoiding the torch). It also has you jumping of the side of a flyover bridge to pick up the path below it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    It's alright as a guide, but not ideal. Strangely it picks up on the first part of the path through Bushy Park for me, but then goes along the road instead of carrying on along the path.
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    It certainly does seem to completely ignore the terrain. On my short commute (5 miles)it suggests 2 detours off the main route along the valley, both of which are up the valley side on small back roads. They would probably add an additional 5 minutes each and certainly make it a harder ride. What makes it worse is that on both occasions the main road is wide open and unbroken by junctions as well as being the only 2 sections where the local council has decided to paint cycle path lanes onto the road. The detours both have a couple of extra junctions to negotiate as well as narrower streets with parked cars as well as the climbs.
    The timings are a bit slow as well but that I can live with.

I think more work is required.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    This seems to work pretty well - just used it to plan a 19mile route in to the office with my M.D. that we'll hit next week.

http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/2811325/
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.